SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is Cerakote any good?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Cerakote any good? Login/Join 
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
Cerakote is NOTHING more then a 2 part epoxy spray paint.

Cerakote spent a ton of money on bullshit advertising and offered it to manufactures cheap.

The key to any refinishing is the prep work that is done. Something most so called refinishers that use cerakote don't do

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Isn’t Bruniton and whatever is on CZ’s basically an epoxy paint of some kind as well? Why do those seem to hold up better then cerakote?

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
We are all being nice but I’m in a mood (steel cased ammo thread lol) so I’ll say it. If you have

“Scratched and gouged all the way to the stainless slide and anodized frame.”

there is no fucking finish in the world that would stand up to that short of M1 Abrams armor. That whole statement is ludicrous. Do you think any finish would stood up to something that gouged the metal? Be friggin reasonable. I know this is the interwebz and we all like to spout but come on.

Scratched, chipped, worn, "to the metal". If the slide or frame was damaged that is more than just the finish coming off.
I find that this stuff scratches easily and will go down to the metal pretty quick.

None of my Nitron/anodized guns have this problem. Same holsters and same type of use.
And it's not a problem per se, I have enough hours behind a paint gun that I understand that it will chip and wear and short of never using it, it will do so.

My Legion with the PVD finish is not wearing any better either.
Both will be going to CCR to have it removed and refinished there.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My husband built an 80% 1911 frame for me (Christmas present) with Sig slide, barrel and other parts (plus Harrison Design and Wilson Combat). He Cerakoted the frame and, let me tell you, everyone who sees it loves it. Everyone who fires it wants it.

It's been absolutely perfect for four years, with a LOT of rounds fired through it by me, him and a lot of disbelievers. Not a ding, not a gouge, not a scratch, no wear marks from either shooting it or holstering/drawing from the Privateer leather holster in which I carry it at the range or on our property. Not a single mark.

If applied properly, it will withstand years of abuse. Like any other paint job, prep is all-important, as is a decent spray gun, lots of compressed air with water filtration and the patience to apply several very light coats before oven-curing.

Still looks like that, four years later (and a few thousand rounds, too).

Holstered:

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would rather my Legions were Nitron. They could have done a Nitron slide and gray anodized frame

That would be bad ass! Big Grin

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Isn’t Bruniton and whatever is on CZ’s basically an epoxy paint of some kind as well? Why do those seem to hold up better then cerakote?

My CZ finish is perfect after many years and many rounds. Visually it's not as nice as nice blueing, but it has held up perfectly with over 7,000 rounds through it.

I believe the reason for that is the metal being painted is virgin/raw, it doesn't have gun oil/grease in nooks/crannies, it doesn't have another finish that has to be removed, a bunch of parts removed etc. and the Checks probably don't have to use EPA friendly paint like we have to use here.....a gun refinisher will do various degrees of prep work, some will do better then others, but lets face it, they're in business to turn a profit, not spend 2 days refinishing 1 pistol for $199.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Never liked paint job. Yeah, it's a paint job, no matter what fancy name you give it. It's not like NP3 or CPII or Nitron.

quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
I won't buy anything with a shake and bake finish. Don't like the way it looks or wears.

^ Pretty much sums it up for me.
Never been a fan of bake on paint.

Closest thing I ever had to Cerakote was CCR's Cerahide.
I feel Cerahide is a very superior compared to Cerakote, but it is indeed a thermally cured coating.
It looked great when new, but showed wear much faster than the CP or CPII (their nickel boron plating) guns I had them do..

Cerahide P229 SAS when new.

When I sold it 200 rds thru it, frame and barrel done in Cerahide..

As compared to my plated CCR pistols;
P239 SAS slide, barrel, and silver parts done in CPII, frame done in Cerahide.
After well over 2k rounds when I sold it.

My XD9SC, done by Tripps Hardchrome, one of the last pistols Virgil did in 2008.
Ran probably 2K rounds thru it before I sold it.

Stock barrel, Hardchrome slide.

I'm not knocking CCR, Brad and Mary have been very good to me over the years..

My point is this, IMHO;
Bake on paint, no.
Plating done by a reputable source, yes..

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
Love the pics..keep them comiong good or bad!!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had two Cerakoted slides and using a Kydex holster wore the finish very quickly. If you use a leather holster the finish will hold up well but I would never get anything Cerakoted that was going to get hard use.

Posts: 196 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What kind of coating is used on the Sig P229 Legion, Black models?

Posts: 1 | Location: East Texas/Toledo Bend Lake | Registered: March 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post