SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is Cerakote any good?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Cerakote any good? Login/Join 
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted
There seems to be a trend where people Cerakote anything and everything. Even brand new guns. I personally don't care for the looks. especailly camo jobs on pistols.

Would love to here from proffesional refinisher's on what their thoughts are

Question:
Is Cerakote a quality product?

Choices:
Yes...its awesome
No...its crap
Its mediocre

Posts: 7796 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh And I saw that SIg is now using cerakote on their legions?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Never liked paint job. Yeah, it's a paint job, no matter what fancy name you give it. It's not like NP3 or CPII or Nitron.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Never liked paint job. Yeah, it's a paint job, no matter what fancy name you give it. It's not like NP3 or CPII or Nitron.

Its good to have my opinion validated. I always thought it looked sub par!!

posted Hide Post
I think the Cerakoe on Legions is better than the original PVD, but that's not saying a whole lot.

I would rather my Legions were Nitron. They could have done a Nitron slide and gray anodized frame (if it had do be something other than black) and saved a whole lot of trouble...

Posts: 4702 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I won't buy anything with a shake and bake finish. Don't like the way it looks or wears.

Posts: 18033 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
To have a top notch finisher apply Cerakote puts you about to the lower end of a Hard Chrome, Boron Nickel, type coating price wise.

Ion Bond DLC runs much higher, I think much of the allure of Cerakote is the vast array of colors.

I've never had a firearm or part in any form of Cerakote, but have applied a lot of KG Guncote and Moly Resin. Which I accept for what those coatings are, a better alternative to bluing.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Cerekote, like nickel, bluing and hard chroming are either crap or great depending on the people doing the work.

The same Bubba that works down the alley doing bad nickel and powder coating is probably going to do a bad Ceracote job

Cerecote jobs from SIG, Colt or Smith & Wesson will be done very well

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
Cerekote, like nickel, bluing and hard chroming are either crap or great depending on the people doing the work.

The same Bubba that works down the alley doing bad nickel and powder coating is probably going to do a bad Ceracote job

Of course, that's true with anything in life, it's the person doing the work. But, take the human variable out of the equation, i.e., assume all quality works, and Cerakote cannot hold a candle against CPII in terms of wear and tear resistance. Or, take Cera-Hide vs. CPII, for example, both by CCR. CPII would win everyday.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's still a spray bomb paint job no matter who does it.
Just because Sig had it applied doesn't mean it won't look like shit after a few trips through a holster.
My M11-A1 is FDE Cerakote and looks like I drag it behind my truck. Scratched and gouged all the way to the stainless slide and anodized frame.
Far more wear than a regular Nitron gun with the same holster and use.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
The only thing that I would Cerakote would be a safe queen, if I had one of those. That finish is all show, no go. No go as in doesn’t wear well.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've wondered about Cerakote for some time. I guess now I have my answers.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's baked on paint for goodness sake!

Posts: 76 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 23, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Of course, that's true with anything in life, it's the person doing the work. But, take the human variable out of the equation, i.e., assume all quality works, and Cerakote cannot hold a candle against CPII in terms of wear and tear resistance. Or, take Cera-Hide vs. CPII, for example, both by CCR. CPII would win everyday.

What is CPII?

Posts: 83 | Location: Montgomery county, PA | Registered: May 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HODY905:
What is CPII?

CCR's proprietary plating, http://www.ccrrefinishing.com/information.html

Q

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I had a ceracoted pistol once. Wore so quickly and did not hold up.

Most of my Glocks have been CPII’d by CCR and a lot of my barrels as well.

If I was allowed to CPII my duty weapon, it would’ve been done long ago.

Pics:
Glock 35 slide and barell CPII
Glock 21 slide CPII Dusk with CPII barrel

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But, but, but, can I get CPII in black desert multicam? Lol

All the above it true. That being said I like to tinker with some guns. I own box stock or nearly so glocks and sigs but sometimes I hanker to start adding parts like my wife wandering a DSW. It isn’t smart or necessary but it’s fun. And yes I still can afford ammo and training for goodness sake, it’s not always either or. Lol

I don’t own a gun with dark desert 3 tone combat multicam. But I won’t judge you if you do, because guilty pleasure being what it is, I might like it. You can’t honestly tell me a well done color case hardening is the best choice to protect your gun either. It’s pretty though.

Posts: 7460 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
No ownership experience with Cerakote but what I have seen if new guns in shops with it doesn’t impress me. Seems to wear or flake off with just handling. Now granted folks don’t tend to handle display firearms with kid gloves but still wasn’t impressive.

Conversely whatever paint like substance is applied to CZ’s seems to be durable as all get out.

So I guess count me in the NAY mediocre camp. There is just better stuff out there.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
quote:

It's still a spray bomb paint job no matter who does it.
Just because Sig had it applied doesn't mean it won't look like shit after a few trips through a holster.
My M11-A1 is FDE Cerakote and looks like I drag it behind my truck. Scratched and gouged all the way to the stainless slide and anodized frame.
Far more wear than a regular Nitron gun with the same holster and use.

Any chance you could post a picture of your m11. I am guessing that a picture is worth a thousand words!!

posted Hide Post
We are all being nice but I’m in a mood (steel cased ammo thread lol) so I’ll say it. If you have

“Scratched and gouged all the way to the stainless slide and anodized frame.”

there is no fucking finish in the world that would stand up to that short of M1 Abrams armor. That whole statement is ludicrous. Do you think any finish would stood up to something that gouged the metal? Be friggin reasonable. I know this is the interwebz and we all like to spout but come on.

Posts: 7460 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post