SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How to repair?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to repair? Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted
I found a pistol at my LGS that has a nick, well actually its deep enough to be a gouge, and has a sharp edge to it. Anyways, he is offering enough of a discount to interest me. This gouge is on top of the slide of a Colt LW Commander, about midway from the top down to the polished portion of the slide in the unpolished section.

How would a guy go about smoothing off the edge of the gouge, putting a little cold blueing on it, without doing more damage than what's there?

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Difficult to say without handling it. Hard without pictures. Nearly impossible with a vague description.

Photos will be a good start.

If the gouge is in steel, it may be built up and refinished by hand using files and hand tools. Alternately it may be blended out with jewelers files. Finish in the area may be polishot blasting, depending on the surface you want.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Jeweler's files, most probably. The mark will probably always be there unless you have the slide professionally refinished, but you can get rid of any nasty catch or burr.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Call CCR and see if they can perform some magic (if the gun is worth putting money into).

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
This dealer wants $800 for this gun, do you guys think it's worth it to go to through this trouble, on this pistol?

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
This dealer wants $800 for this gun, do you guys think it's worth it to go to through this trouble, on this pistol?

That's your call, however I would pass on it. It will always be a repaired gun.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't bother myself; financially it doesn't pencil out at a $800 buy-in, presuming that the gun is otherwise new to start with. For instance, Bud's sells a NIB LW Commander for $920 (cash price). Not much room left to fix a flaw of that magnitude, which in the end you'll still wind up with a repaired gun that's not original to the factory.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for this particular gun for a carry gun that you will use hard, take off the sharp spot and cold blue it. Use the hell out of it.

If you are thinking of trying to make the nick go away, pass.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
I wouldn't bother myself; financially it doesn't pencil out at a $800 buy-in, presuming that the gun is otherwise new to start with. For instance, Bud's sells a NIB LW Commander for $920 (cash price). Not much room left to fix a flaw of that magnitude, which in the end you'll still wind up with a repaired gun that's not original to the factory.

This... Gouge not considered, it's still a used gun. If it didn't have the gouge, $800 might be a fair price, or maybe $825 - $850 if it was truly LNIB when balanced against $920 for NIB. I'd pass unless they came down on the price considerably.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
It is a brand new pistol.

Would be used for carry.

posted Hide Post
Buy it if you can get it at greatly reduced price.
If it were me using it for a carry gun, I would smooth it out and enjoy it; might even make up a story on how the nick/gouge got there.. Wink

PC

quote:

Would be used for carry.

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:

Would be used for carry.

If it's brand new, how did it get the gouge?
The discount doesn't sound even close to what it should be for the damage it has.
A new slide might be a better solution than the price of a skilled repair job.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
quote:

Would be used for carry.

If it's brand new, how did it get the gouge?
The discount doesn't sound even close to what it should be for the damage it has.
A new slide might be a better solution than the price of a skilled repair job.

It's supposedly a display model, and got banged against the metal frame of the display case.

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Make the shop an offer you'd feel comfortable living with the gouge...or at least a savings enough to allow you to have it repaired and still be below the price of a new pistol w/o damage.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Let the dealer get it repaired. He may even have insurance for such events.

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
After mulling over my thoughts, and reading these posts, I have made up my mind to pass on this Colt.

If I were the one who damaged my gun, I could certainly live with it, but on a brand new gun damaged at the store, I can imagine it would always bug me, if that makes any sense.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
After mulling over my thoughts, and reading these posts, I have made up my mind to pass on this Colt...

I think you made the right call here. I know you see and will see many more good opportunities.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I found a pistol at my LGS that has a nick, well actually its deep enough to be a gouge, and has a sharp edge to it. Anyways, he is offering enough of a discount to interest me. This gouge is on top of the slide of a Colt LW Commander, about midway from the top down to the polished portion of the slide in the unpolished section.

How would a guy go about smoothing off the edge of the gouge, putting a little cold blueing on it, without doing more damage than what's there?

Any way you can get a picture? If it's not to bad a little stoning and light polishing should do the trick. If it's really deep it will be a little more involved than that.

Posts: 134 | Registered: August 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post