New
Find
Notify
Tools

K kote Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Didn't acetone make big news years back for causing cancer ? I've used it in parts washers for automotive and machine shops but, I was under the impression it was replaced by a cleaner less harmful to health. I personally never allow water in or on firearms unless I had been hunting in snow country. With all the quality chems on the market intended for cleaning and preserving gun finishes, I cant grasp the use of acetone or water. I would rather clean interior and exterior with a fine lube like Breakfree or something similar.

sounds familiar. i looked it up. cdc says acetone on its own is ok. exposure to skin doesn't cause cancer but they do not know about prolonged inhalation, though i don't see how anyone could inhale it for more than a second Wink

i think the stuff about cancer causing was for a product or two that contained acetone, maybe certain nail polish removers, not acetone itself though i do not think

Formerly known as tigerbloodwinning

Posts: 335 | Registered: April 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigerbloodwinning:
quote:
Didn't acetone make big news years back for causing cancer ? I've used it in parts washers for automotive and machine shops but, I was under the impression it was replaced by a cleaner less harmful to health. I personally never allow water in or on firearms unless I had been hunting in snow country. With all the quality chems on the market intended for cleaning and preserving gun finishes, I cant grasp the use of acetone or water. I would rather clean interior and exterior with a fine lube like Breakfree or something similar.

sounds familiar. i looked it up. cdc says acetone on its own is ok. exposure to skin doesn't cause cancer but they do not know about prolonged inhalation, though i don't see how anyone could inhale it for more than a second Wink

i think the stuff about cancer causing was for a product or two that contained acetone, maybe certain nail polish removers, not acetone itself though i do not think

I use lots of Ed's Red as a solvent and cleaner/bore cleaner. It contains some acetone and I haven't observed any issues with it. I mix it up a gallon at a time

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
You asked an honest question.
Welcome to the forum.

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackimoe:
quote:
Originally posted by tigerbloodwinning:
quote:

I use lots of Ed's Red as a solvent and cleaner/bore cleaner. It contains some acetone and I haven't observed any issues with it. I mix it up a gallon at a time

I also use Ed's Red but don't add the acetone unless i'm cleaning a shotgun barrel.

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I don't know about k-kote but acetone isn't very friendly to certain paints and plastics. I would call Sig.

Posts: 1554 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post