SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Dept switching over to P320 .357 Sig
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dept switching over to P320 .357 Sig Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
What Department?

Posts: 85 | Location: Bloomington Minnesota | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As for me, I just want as many agencies as possible to use 357 Sig to keep the Supply of ammo coming from the manufacturers.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Whtwolf14
posted Hide Post
Pblanc...it's the DAK trigger that I'm not fond of. Never liked it, and voiced that like an idiot during Academy quals years ago.

Nelson...I'd rather not say on the web...brass gets twitchy.

Posts: 4281 | Location: Mountains....lots of Mountains.... | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whtwolf14:
Pblanc...it's the DAK trigger that I'm not fond of. Never liked it, and voiced that like an idiot during Academy quals years ago.

I bet I know what agency is getting them it's the Montana Highway Patrol and the reasons I say that is by your location Mountains....lots of Mountains and the MHP is one of my favorite Highway Patrol Agency and I get their magazine the Montana Trooper I know the Montana Highway Patrol carries the Sig Sauer P229 357Sig and thats the only place with lots of Mountains that has a big agency that has the P229.?

Posts: 85 | Location: Bloomington Minnesota | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your department is totally going backwards in guns. The sig p229 is probably the finest shooting 357 sig gun that you can get. You will notice an increase in recoil with either the 320 or the glock, compared to the p229.

Posts: 636 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triaxle:
I think the 320 will get beat up with the 357 round , plus it cost more than 9 ammo . But I also think the 357 will take the fight out of the bad guy quicker.

Are you serious? The slide and "frame" are built like a tank. Mine has over 10,000 rounds though it and it is still going strong. Just replace the recoil spring at 10,000 rounds, or 7,500 if you always shoot full power loads and want to be safe.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes if you have the 357 sig , do the recoil spring thing and you should be fine . but its a hot one .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Whtwolf14
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Kyle K:
quote:

I bet I know what agency is getting them it's the Montana Highway Patrol and the reasons I say that is by your location Mountains....lots of Mountains and the MHP is one of my favorite Highway Patrol Agency and I get their magazine the Montana Trooper I know the Montana Highway Patrol carries the Sig Sauer P229 357Sig and thats the only place with lots of Mountains that has a big agency that has the P229.?

Sorry, but no. However, thank you for your support of LE.

Edit:

Well, I went to the LGS while I was in the Valley today to check out the P320's. I gotta say that I liked the feel of the compact, which was all they had in stock. Trigger reach compared to my issued 229R was awesome, and the short take up a night and day difference. However...there's always a "yeah, but"...my only stink face moment was when I dry fired it. I don't know how else to describe it, other than it sounded like a dull thud. I also picked up a Gen 5 19. I thought, "holy crap this thing is blocky feeling". It's been awhile since I had one, since picking up my Shield and 2.0 Compact. In the end I'll go with the P320c for off duty carry when the time comes. Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Whtwolf14,

Posts: 4281 | Location: Mountains....lots of Mountains.... | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Kyle K:
quote:

Sorry, but no. However, thank you for your support of LE.

Edit:

Well, I went to the LGS while I was in the Valley today to check out the P320's. I gotta say that I liked the feel of the compact, which was all they had in stock. Trigger reach compared to my issued 229R was awesome, and the short take up a night and day difference. However...there's always a "yeah, but"...my only stink face moment was when I dry fired it. I don't know how else to describe it, other than it sounded like a dull thud. I also picked up a Gen 5 19. I thought, "holy crap this thing is blocky feeling". It's been awhile since I had one, since picking up my Shield and 2.0 Compact. In the end I'll go with the P320c for off duty carry when the time comes. Cool
Whtwolf14 Im also LE too just to let you know glad their is another Brother/Sister in Blue on here and a I also supports the thin red line too.

Striving for Mediocrity
Picture of operator81
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]I bet I know what agency is getting them it's the Montana Highway Patrol and the reasons I say that is by your location Mountains....lots of Mountains and the MHP is one of my favorite Highway Patrol Agency and I get their magazine the Montana Trooper I know the Montana Highway Patrol carries the Sig Sauer P229 357Sig and thats the only place with lots of Mountains that has a big agency that has the P229.?[/QUOTE]

We're (MHP) still issuing the P229R DA/SA in .357 Sig. Our current batch of pistols are 5 years old. We have been asking for striker-fired 9mms for quite a while now but have been told we're not changing anything until this batch is worn out. I've been knee deep in our annual armorer inspections and I can safely say these pistols have at least another 5 years of "service" life left in them.

3-7-77

Posts: 1213 | Registered: November 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go with the 9mm and some kind of HST ammo. That 357 will beat that gun up and also when I pull the trigger on mine it seems like a dull thud not the good Glock snap when you pull the trigger .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Com 45acp
posted Hide Post
VSP?

Posts: 521 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by operator81:
I bet I know what agency is getting them it's the Montana Highway Patrol and the reasons I say that is by your location Mountains....lots of Mountains and the MHP is one of my favorite Highway Patrol Agency and I get their magazine the Montana Trooper I know the Montana Highway Patrol carries the Sig Sauer P229 357Sig and thats the only place with lots of Mountains that has a big agency that has the P229.?[/QUOTE]

We're (MHP) still issuing the P229R DA/SA in .357 Sig. Our current batch of pistols are 5 years old. We have been asking for striker-fired 9mms for quite a while now but have been told we're not changing anything until this batch is worn out. I've been knee deep in our annual armorer inspections and I can safely say these pistols have at least another 5 years of "service" life left in them.[/QUOTE] operator81 just dust off your old Smith&Wesson 5903 9MM's your good to go then.

Picture of Com 45acp
posted Hide Post
He is surrounded by mountains and travelled to the valley. That would either be Roanoke valley or Shenandoah valley in Va. Half of Virginia consist of mountains. VSP is still issued p229R DAK 357 sig, and are switching to the 320.

Posts: 521 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
[thread drift]

My old dept was lookiing to get rid of the 357sig round (due to costs)

Like everything, money savings is/was driving the return to 9mm vs 357sig) They also think scores will go up and more people will qualify w/o having to shoot three and four times.

When several Firearms Instructors paraded out the different guns they had under T&E-the staff nixed most everything striker fired because, " these triggers are so light someone will shoot themselves"

So they are getting SigP226 in 9mm and 228 & 229 for the detectives and girls with small hands....

This is how decisions are made:
costs
idiot staff members who don't recognize lack of training will get people hurt

[/drift]

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My LE duty pistol I carry is my personal owned FNS 40 Longslide.

Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
Not a huge poly-striker guy, but am 'cosplayer at the San Diego Comic-Con' level fan boy of the .357 Sig. You get +P+ performance at +P pressures, it's 90% of a 125 gr. 357 Magnum in a pistol with twice the rounds.

I won't blather here again at length about why I think the FBI's 'penetration is everything' theory is just their opinion, hardly decided science, but that hot little Sig round has had tremendous success on the street in the real world, despite what the Jello Junkies say. And yeah, I think the higher velocity and wider JHP mouth account for that.

It may not be Excalibur or the Hammer of Thor, but it'll do until the real thing comes along...

Posts: 801 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Com 45acp:
VSP is still issued p229R DAK 357 sig, and are switching to the 320.

THREAD DRIFT ALERT:
Off topic a bit, but I have a very cherry VSP S&W 1076 with a birth certificate from the Mothership. It was a T&E gun that eventually went back to Smith, then to my hot, grubby Irish hands. Sweet little baby, she is.

Well, maybe not so little....

Posts: 801 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post