SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Was a stainless Browning Hi Power ever produced?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Was a stainless Browning Hi Power ever produced? Login/Join 
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted
There is one for sale locally but I don't see a stainless model online.

Anywhere.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
not by browning. they only sold a hard chrome version.

there is/was a small company that sold a very expensive stainless BHP, but not Browning themselves or FN

Posts: 4753 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:

there is/was a small company that sold a very expensive stainless BHP, but not Browning themselves or FN

You nailed it. I searced that and came up with photos of the exact model he's selling.

Thanks El Toro.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Nope

Posts: 107486 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A surprising (to me) number of people with a little experience with guns assume that anything that’s silver-colored must be stainless steel. Years ago I inquired about a nickel-plated P229 at a large gun store and was strongly assured that it was all stainless despite the fact that its weight was obviously too light for a steel frame.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47396 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look up elite warrior armament hi power

http://www.gunblast.com/EWA-P35.htm

Posts: 151 | Registered: September 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
The Turkish BHP's that LKCI is currently building ,includes a SS version.

https://www.lkcillc.com/produc...-ss-stainless-steel/

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both Chuck and the Turks (and Ruger and S&W) have this strange habit of putting blue small parts on a stainless receiver and slide.
Is it a styling fad?
Is it cheap?
Does it not matter if your hammer and trigger rust?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:

and electroless nickel

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always wish there had been one. As a side note, an aluminum alloy framed was made from my understanding but I think there were not many.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some aluminum BHPs come in from Israel every once in a while. They are well worn but I have seen some refurbished into very nice lightweight guns.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:

and electroless nickel

The hard chrome was usually the Practical model and came with wrap around black rubber grips.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
about 8 years ago or more there was a company in Florida that made Stainless Hi Power Frames and Slides, but I do not believe they did complete guns. I believe they stopped doing this [or went out of business] about 6 years ago.

Elite Warrior came out with his own version about 4 years ago or less, as a complete gun.

I am in California, so couldn't buy either of them.

Instead, I have the FN and Browning models- in 9 and in .40.

If you've never shot one, they are a joy in all regards except capacity [13 was 'stock' and 15 were easily available] and the trigger mechanism.

It is possible to make the trigger respectfully light and crisp, but it is problematic to also have a distinct and short reset.

Long resets are the norm.

Again, I like them- and I can't have more than 10 anyway. Thus, 13 in a BHP vs 17 in a G17 or x in a Y is all academic.

10 in any of them is my max. Frown

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
Both Chuck and the Turks (and Ruger and S&W) have this strange habit of putting blue small parts on a stainless receiver and slide.
Is it a styling fad?
Is it cheap?
Does it not matter if your hammer and trigger rust?

I have one (of only 35 or so ever made) S/S BHPs made by Chuck Warner coming from him. He was sourcing the small parts directly from FN, thus they were blue. Not for style, just practicality.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 162 | Location: Hendersonville, NC | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have one (of only 35 or so ever made) S/S BHPs made by Chuck Warner coming from him. He was sourcing the small parts directly from FN, thus they were blue. Not for style, just practicality.

I am SOOOO Jealous!

I wish I could get one, but not without moving. and that isn't an option- sigh.

One thought...

Do I remember correctly that SS on SS used to be prone to galling?

Practicality is the most likely cause of the blued on stainless. Yet, if there were any concern with galling, wouldn't this avoid it?

Just a thought.

I am probably wrong, or my reference is outdated by 20 years of improvements on metallurgy.

BTW, I LOVE Chucks' TR Sear and his Hammer for the BHP- I have them in 2 of mine! [And a SFS in a third, and the fourth is all original, because it is a 1959 Austrian police model.]

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bczrx:
quote:

I am SOOOO Jealous!

I wish I could get one, but not without moving. and that isn't an option- sigh.

One thought...

Do I remember correctly that SS on SS used to be prone to galling?

Practicality is the most likely cause of the blued on stainless. Yet, if there were any concern with galling, wouldn't this avoid it?

Just a thought.

I am probably wrong, or my reference is outdated by 20 years of improvements on metallurgy.

BTW, I LOVE Chucks' TR Sear and his Hammer for the BHP- I have them in 2 of mine! [And a SFS in a third, and the fourth is all original, because it is a 1959 Austrian police model.]

Very early on S/S was prone to galling, like early 1980's stainless guns or sometime around that era. What the manufacturers didn't realize is that you need to make the frame and the slide out of two different grades of S/S, if you do that there is NO galling. If you make the slide and frame out of the same grade, you're going to get galling. They also switched from 300 series Stainless steel alloy to hardened 400 series that is heat treated. Most manufacturers figured the galling issue out within the 80's.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Very early on S/S was prone to galling, like early 1980's stainless guns or sometime around that era. What the manufacturers didn't realize is that you need to make the frame and the slide out of two different grades of S/S, if you do that there is NO galling. If you make the slide and frame out of the same grade, you're going to get galling. They also switched from 300 series Stainless steel alloy to hardened 400 series that is heat treated. Most manufacturers figured the galling issue out within the 80's.

Thank you!

So, galling may be an issue for something made pre-1990, but not after [in general, of course].

Check.

Thanks for the clarity! At least I wasn't inventing a story.

[still jealous of the Elite Warrior SS BHP!]

Picture of BloodyThumb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lewk:
Look up elite warrior armament hi power

http://www.gunblast.com/EWA-P35.htm

I wanted one of these so bad I could taste it, but alas I couldn't get my first born to get in the crate.

Thanks,
BT

Seek out those called “experts” by the ones who have earned your respect. Avoid those who publicly proclaim themselves as one. Especially if they are selling T-shirts.

Posts: 167 | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

I own one of each of the Regent BR9's. Without shooting, all the field strippable parts from the blued version interchanged with my 1978 aged BHP.

Bought the blue version first, field stripped, cleaned and ran 20 flawless 15 round mac gar mags with assorted loads all STD pressure. Haven't tested the SS version yet. Pleased with overall fit & finish for the price.

Posts: 340 | Registered: January 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john kwoka:
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

I own one of each of the Regent BR9's. Without shooting, all the field strippable parts from the blued version interchanged with my 1978 aged BHP.

Bought the blue version first, field stripped, cleaned and ran 20 flawless 15 round mac gar mags with assorted loads all STD pressure. Haven't tested the SS version yet. Pleased with overall fit & finish for the price.

I like BHP's and the SS version from these guys is intriguing. I'm mad at myself as I somehow missed their booth at SHOT back in January. I'd love to handle one before buying.

But all the comments I have read on them have been basically positive.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post