SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    why doesn't anybody but me have a 9mm 229C?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

why doesn't anybody but me have a 9mm 229C? Login/Join 
Let's be careful
out there
posted
it's a great carry gun, compact, hi cap, and accurate.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
No pics. Don't believe you.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Guess I got distracted by an Allround for super cheap?
SVI has some spectacular distractions.
Or too busy importing P220s?
Idunno.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
it's a great carry gun, compact, hi cap, and accurate.

Never seen one in the wild. I do have my P229 but it's just a regular size one.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
Because I was never a fan of the carry series. Yes you keep capacity but you lose barrel length. And if you are cutting down the slide and barrel for better carry, why not shorten the part that sticks out of your belt? And if that's the case, why not just buy a smaller gun? Much like going from a 229 to a 224. Or a 220 down to a 245.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
For me, it really doesn't do anything my P228 & 229 doesn't already do (other than half 1/2 less slide length.)

A 224 slide on a 229 frame doesn't appeal to me.

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom229:
Because I was never a fan of the carry series. Yes you keep capacity but you lose barrel length. And if you are cutting down the slide and barrel for better carry, why not shorten the part that sticks out of your belt? And if that's the case, why not just buy a smaller gun? Much like going from a 229 to a 224. Or a 220 down to a 245.

Exactly.

The shorter barrel alone doesn't get you anything over a standard P229. It's the grip length not the muzzle length that is more important regarding concealment, especially if you're using IWB carry. And that shorter muzzle length comes with a few (admittedly minor) negatives, like slightly less muzzle velocity and slightly shorter sight radius.

That's a negative net gain, compared to a standard P229.

A P229-sized slide on a P224-sized frame would be a different matter, though. That would only be a trade-off of some capacity for easier grip concealment, which is a more equal trade, and could be worthwhile for some folks.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
A P229-sized slide on a P224-sized frame would be a different matter

I wonder if a forum member has both and could try this out and see what it looks like...

You'd think SIG would have tried this, unless it's an issue with dustcover vs. frame fit (think 320 Compact slide on SC grip).

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P229C is NOT a P229 Frame. It is a P224 frame with extended grip. The grip on a P229C is slightly shorter with a slightly different shape than a Standard P229, but uses the same mag. And, yes I have a P229C SAS 9mm & a P229C SAS 40 with an extra 357 barrel.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
What is "Because we can't find one to buy" Alex?

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
SIG had a couple of roll-over crashes during that time period, the P224 and P229C being two examples.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought my 229C SAS 40SW on the belief they would have a 9mm conversion kit. I never got one and they are discontinued.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mech
posted Hide Post
Bought one last year and it started its life as .40S&W; took the 9mm barrel from my P224BSS and it was a drop in replacement. Love the gun (P229C), and it's my EDC, especially with a GrayGuns master springs set in it!

Posts: 1160 | Location: SW Washington, Support Sporting Systems! | Registered: March 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
The P229C is NOT a P229 Frame. It is a P224 frame with extended grip. The grip on a P229C is slightly shorter with a slightly different shape than a Standard P229, but uses the same mag. And, yes I have a P229C SAS 9mm & a P229C SAS 40 with an extra 357 barrel.

The height is exactly the same between the P229C and the standard P229. A P224 is a ton shorter than a P229.

Here is a P229c.

See the difference between the 3 guns? If you can't, then I can't help you.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I don't have a photo host yet. If somebody will post pic from their e mail, I'll send pics of my 229 next to my 229C 9mm

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
I don't have a photo host yet. If somebody will post pic from their e mail, I'll send pics of my 229 next to my 229C 9mm

Here you go.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
See the difference between the 3 guns? If you can't, then I can't help you.

Did I not say "Slightly"! It's about 1/16" diff probably due to the slide height being "Slightly" less on the P229C/P224 vs the P229.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10round:
I bought my 229C SAS 40SW on the belief they would have a 9mm conversion kit. I never got one and they are discontinued.

All you need is a P224/P229C 9mm barrel, which BarSto confirms they will be making soon. The P229C can use regular P229-1 9mm magazine without rattle or feeding issues. I've put my "converted" P229C (original .40S&W but with a a P224 9mm barrel) through three training courses (a whole buncha different firing positions/paces) without issue, so just a headsup Smile

Posts: 1160 | Location: SW Washington, Support Sporting Systems! | Registered: March 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mech
posted Hide Post
Alright so I have all 3 pistols: P224SAS 9mm, P229C SAS 9mm, and a P229BTF 9mm.

Here are the pictures:

A P229-1 15rd magazine will sit flush in the P229CA and P229. It will protrude from the grip by the same amount on the P224 as does factory P224 extended mag.

Slides between P224 and P229C are completely interchangeable.

The P229 slide will NOT fit on a P229C or P224 frame; the frames on the latter are wider than the P229; or in other words, the slide of a P229 is narrower than that of a P224 and P229C.

Picture of Mech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:A P229-sized slide on a P224-sized frame would be a different matter

So I actually have all 3 variants.

A P229C (which is different from a regular P229) slide can fit on a P224. However, the P229C slide is actually the exact same as a P224, just with different lettering. Same size, width, length, etc. So mating a P229C slide on a P224 frame would result in just a P224.

I think your idea of putting a longer slide (regular P229) on a compact frame (P224) could be produced with the P320 series? I believe people on the net have done this before and resulted in a very impressive combo!