SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    EAA Witness Hunter 10mm. Wow!!!!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EAA Witness Hunter 10mm. Wow!!!!!! Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
LGS had one today.
Under $1,000. The slide felt like it was on ball bearings. Easily the smoothest slide I have ever come across (though that is not saying much). The trigger was light and crisp. Sure would have liked to fire it.
They had a Springfield Operator Longslide in 10mm for $600 more than the Witness. Not even close.
Of course these things come around when the gun fund is at zero.

Anyone have one or fired one??? How does it shoot?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Layaway!

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course these things come around when the gun fund is at zero.

Story of my life...

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a glock 40 (yeah - I know - the dark side!) friday & took it out to the range sunday - good accuracy & not to bad to fire - don't have an optic for it yet - not sure what to save up to get yet

Steve

Posts: 14 | Registered: March 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
Layaway!

Yes! Big Grin

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
This does not indict all EAA Witness pistols, but personally, I stay away. It's is an anecdotal cautionary tale.

I had a Witness Elite Match .45ACP before they put a rail on it. At the time, 2006, it was $400. Once I shot it, I thought it was the best deal going. My FFL also doesn't sell them anymore.

I loved that gun. Fantastic trigger, smooth, wicked accurate and fit my hand perfectly. However, one day at the range only about two months into owning it it failed to fire.

When I called EAA, they strongly warned me not to fire it and to send it to them, which I did under warranty. My FFL paid for the shipment to them. I had a couple of rather surly conversations with their gunsmith at the time, surly on his part.

In the end, they returned the pistol and had had to replace the barrel. To give them credit, they crowned it, fitted a couple of magazines (which had a tendency to drop free on their own, and had never fit wall at all), and did a trigger job, all for free.

However, I found it hard to trust a gun that had failed so significantly so soon after buying it. I appreciated the extras they did to enhance the gun, I assume in exchange for the failure, but sold it shortly after with full disclosure. The only time I shot it after getting it back was to verify it was fixed.

At the time a very well know gunsmith commented publicly in a post "it must be a special kind of hell working on Tanfoglio pistols all day". Perhaps I took that too much to heart, but gunsmithing is his expertise, not mine.

In addition, the frame was peening noticeably after not that many trips to the range.

Perhaps they have improved and it appears their more expensive guns are adored by some competitive shooters. Also, this was on the lower end of their product line. Still, I wouldn't choose to spend my money on another Witness even though the Hunter has appealed to me too.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
it appears their more expensive guns are adored by some competitive shooters.

the last 8 uspsa production national titles have been won with tanfo's, i believe, as well as Production, Limited and second in Open at the World Shoot last year... their higher end stuff is phenomenal.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
quote:
it appears their more expensive guns are adored by some competitive shooters.

the last 8 uspsa production national titles have been won with tanfo's, i believe, as well as Production, Limited and second in Open at the World Shoot last year... their higher end stuff is phenomenal.

I figured there had to be a reason.

I certainly didn't have a good experience, but perhaps I just bought a lemon.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
I certainly didn't have a good experience, but perhaps I just bought a lemon twelve years ago.

A lot may have changed since the bolds I added. Early 90’s Sig pistols are generally considered at a sweet spot of production. Just saying.

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
I certainly didn't have a good experience, but perhaps I just bought a lemon twelve years ago.

A lot may have changed since the bolds I added. Early 90’s Sig pistols are generally considered at a sweet spot of production. Just saying.

Could be you're right.

Everybody gets to decide where they spend their money.

I might be able to be convinced to purchase a Tanfoglio at some point in the future. Who knows. Right now I don't have so much money that I'm willing to risk it without some reason that is compelling for me.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
To be fair, I’ve never owned one, so I’ve no dog in this one. But I would be curious to see how the 10mm Hunter performs.

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I bought a Limited some years ago, tight, well made, no issues other than crappy mags. My friend liked it so much he ordered one. It's a rattle trap compared to mine. Common for Tanfoglio, hit and miss.

They're hard and sometimes brittle, that would worry me in 10mm.

The most bizarre repeatable malfunction I've ever seen in any gun was in a 9mm Witness I owned.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Listen to pbramlett . . . Lay-A-Way is your friend

I have been shooting EAA Witness pistols for several decades.

Back in the day when EAA was in Dade County, the employees used to shoot IPSC at my Uncle's range. That is when I got this pair. One is chambered in 45ACP and one in 38 Super. Obviously these are not production guns, but they were and still are fantastic firearms.

I bought and sold several other off the shelf Witnesses over the decades including a Match Elite with top ends for both 45ACP and 10MM Auto. However among my favorites are my Limited Pro chambered for 10MM Auto and my Hunter which is also chambered for 10MM Auto

As you probably already know, the 10MM Auto is a GREAT cartridge, combine that with the Hunter's 6" long slide and you pick up some extra velocity and more muzzle energy. Not to mention the longer sight radius really helps aiming those longer shots

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This does not indict all EAA Witness pistols, but personally, I stay away. It's is an anecdotal cautionary tale.

I had a Witness Elite Match .45ACP before they put a rail on it. At the time, 2006, it was $400. Once I shot it, I thought it was the best deal going. My FFL also doesn't sell them anymore.

I loved that gun. Fantastic trigger, smooth, wicked accurate and fit my hand perfectly. However, one day at the range only about two months into owning it it failed to fire.

When I called EAA, they strongly warned me not to fire it and to send it to them, which I did under warranty. My FFL paid for the shipment to them. I had a couple of rather surly conversations with their gunsmith at the time, surly on his part.

In the end, they returned the pistol and had had to replace the barrel. To give them credit, they crowned it, fitted a couple of magazines (which had a tendency to drop free on their own, and had never fit wall at all), and did a trigger job, all for free.

However, I found it hard to trust a gun that had failed so significantly so soon after buying it. I appreciated the extras they did to enhance the gun, I assume in exchange for the failure, but sold it shortly after with full disclosure. The only time I shot it after getting it back was to verify it was fixed.

At the time a very well know gunsmith commented publicly in a post "it must be a special kind of hell working on Tanfoglio pistols all day". Perhaps I took that too much to heart, but gunsmithing is his expertise, not mine.

In addition, the frame was peening noticeably after not that many trips to the range.

Perhaps they have improved and it appears their more expensive guns are adored by some competitive shooters. Also, this was on the lower end of their product line. Still, I wouldn't choose to spend my money on another Witness even though the Hunter has appealed to me too.

Just curious but why did they have to replace the barrel and how did that prevent the pistol from firing a round?

Posts: 90 | Location: SW VA | Registered: January 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Badhammer:
quote:

Just curious but why did they have to replace the barrel and how did that prevent the pistol from firing a round?

Good question. I could never get an explanation. The only person who knew was the gunsmith and he was not very inclined to discuss it and answer questions.

They replaced and fitted the new barrel. The other work, the barrel crown, trigger job and fitting the magazines was gratis and had nothing to do with the malfunction. That’s really all I could get out of them.

Perhaps they did other things that were not mentioned or noted in the explanation of work performed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIGWolf,

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
My impression is that these are fragile, breakage-prone pistols. I wouldn't own any EAA product. Right or wrong, that's my impression of these firearms, and I would not have one.

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Love my 10mm Hunter. As you said, slide is on ball bearings and it has a fantastic factory trigger. Downfall is trying to find a holster for it.

No breakage prone incidents here. Just happy shooting and one dead piggy to its name.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like the Tanfos I have owned. Current favorite is the 10mm Hunter. Solid and NO issues.

A few years ago there were a lot more 'horror' stories with the guns. I recall issues with the more basic 10MM frames cracking, 10 mm mag issues (old style), some fitment issues and most notorious were... issues with the 'surly gunsmith/ owner' of EAA the importer. If you ignore the interpersonal issues with the EAA staff nothing else was that bad

If you want a long slide 10 mm then the Hunter Longslide is a great choice

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
LIFE IS SHORT - Just buy the gun...
Life Member - Texas State Rifle Association
Benefactor Life Member - NRA

Posts: 185 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: April 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

They seem to be quite popular at the 10mm Firearms Forums. But I like my SIG 10mm.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post