SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My Journey With XS Big Dots and a KARMA(AMC gets the sights)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Journey With XS Big Dots and a KARMA(AMC gets the sights) Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So I will just start this off with.....I CANNOT SHOOT XS SIGHTS.

I have a Gen 4 Glock 17 that I have had for some time. Per my normal routine I cleaned it and ran it out of the box to check for reliability and it did fine. I then did what I always do with Glocks and ditched the dovetail protectors for real sights.

For this particular Glock I decided to try XS Big Dots. Well that experiment is over.

Try as I might I just never could get the hang of them. Yes if I turned my brain off and just ran that big dot I would put rounds more less where I wanted but honestly that rear sight with its ever so slight valley drove me insane and took what should have been fast sight and made them slow and inaccurate for me because my brain kept trying to figure out where to put that big ass dot in relation to them. I think its because I am just so used to standard sights with a blade up front and normal squared or rounded "valley/notch" in the rear sight.

I recently brought all my Glocks and a PPS out to the range and shot all of them pretty well except that Gen 4 and I finally decided those XS Sights had to go.

I really like the Ameriglo's on my Gen 5 G19 so I picked up a set of Ameriglo I-Dot pro's and put them on today.

WHAT A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE FOR ME!!! I was actually shooting well again and enjoying my shooting of that Gen 4 and that big orange dot up front is just about as easy to pick up. I should have cut my losses earlier.

Now I am not saying the XS Sights suck. They are well made and I think if you dedicated to those sights and either ran just one gun or all your guns had those, you could easily adapt to them. For me personally though I just want that notch in my rear sight.

Anyhoo I figured I would KARMA off the front Big Dot to anybody who wants it. I will throw in the rear as well but due to the rear being installed with Red Locktite, the set screws are knackered up and the rear sight is probably a loss. The front however is perfectly bright and usable and I have read that it works really with with 10-8 rear sights or sights with the big U notches in the rear so you might be able to put together a decent set of sights on the cheap.

So I will give it till Sunday and if anybody wants it I will randomly pick and send it your way.

Live and learn I guess.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cslinger,

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
throw me in the rig please

Semper Fi

Posts: 399 | Location: orlando,fl,usa | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in thanks

Posts: 421 | Location: Richmond Va. | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
I like big dots a lot and just got a new gen 4 19!!!

Put me in, thanks

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
AGAIN JUST TO BE CLEAR, CHANCES ARE ONLY THE FRONT SIGHT WILL BE SALVAGABLE. I will send the rear as well as you might be able get the set screws out and replace them or something but don’t count on this.

Front sight should go right on.

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
I'm in...the front works well with the G5 19 stock rear. Thanks for the opportunity.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please count me in

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
clslinger, I would like a chance, thanks. I also applaud you using the word "knackered." Big Grin

Posts: 17110 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CS, I once neared a Chicago Police Lt. being interviewed by Mas and he had the XS on his Glock 19. As a survivor of 14 actual gun fights documented I thought he presented a good proof of the value of the XS. Remember you don’t have to hit the X, just the COM. I don’t need the rear sight, just put the front sight on the target.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I am not discounting the XS sights as being fast for most folks. My problem was simply re training my brain and because of my brain wanting to do something with the rear sight I was slower. Honestly I did better totally ignoring the rear sight and would have probably been better off without it.

Again this isn’t me saying “these damn things are worthless and stupid!!!” It’s just me saying that for me they were requiring more effort to use and defeating their intended purpose.

At close range I would do better just point shooting.

Again this is all just one dumbass’ experience on the internet and from the non professional users perspective.

I will say that when XS really hit the scene they really seemed like the only game in town for that kind of high visibility front sight fast acquisition sight. With the advent of all the current crop of Trijicon HDs, truglos, ameriglos etc. it seems you can sort of have your cake and eat it too.

The bright orange on my G17 and G19 is amazingly quick to acquire but also allows for standard slowfire ....... I say this next part with a chuckle when it comes to me.....”precision” fire.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'm in too.
I have a Big Dot front sight (only) on my G27 as recommended by the shop that I bought it from. It works great for me and I've thought about putting one on my G19. No rear sight needed.
My other carry guns now have a variety of dayglow front night sights that I can pick up even quicker so you might consider that option too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 220-9er,

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in. Thanks!

I like my I-Dot Pros on my Shield (orange front) but I would be curious to give the XS set a shot.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 811 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The Karmanator has spoken! AMC is the winner. Email me your info.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Cslinger. I emailed you my contact info.

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Gotcha. Will try to get mailed on Tuesday. I will make sure to confirm when I do and send any tracking info.