SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    When you travel by air what handgun do you take?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When you travel by air what handgun do you take? Login/Join 
Picture of abnmacv
posted
I avoid states that have onerous restrictions. Pre-COVID flew regularly and take a handgun with me. Decade ago Israel prime ministers's bodyguards had their Glocks swiped at the LA airport. If their guns could be lifted I figured mine also are subject to theft so began taking a handgun I regularly handle but not my more expensive 1911s. Some of the states I roam do not require a permit, others honor one of two concealed permits. I do want the ability to carry when traveling. At various time traveled with Tokarev, Glock 26, and a Glock 29 if I would also be hiking in bear country. Wonder what other use as a travel companion when using air transport?

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1530 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
An old Taurus revolver that I just don't care about, and don't even like.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
A basic P320 or P365, if lost/stolen not too much heartbreak.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
If it’s a business trip, my duty weapon. If it’s a personal trip I tend to go with my Ruger LC9s. It’s on our approved list and I qual with it annually so I’m covered both by my permit and LEOSA. It’s easily concealable. I’m also not particularly attached to it and it’s cheap enough I won’t be terribly angry should my bag be lost or stolen.

If I’m driving, it’s almost exclusively my p365 these days for most of the same reasons.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I carry whatever, usually a 17 RMR

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
The same pistol I carry every day.... Sig P239

Now when I would go to training I would usually carry both my every day carry pistol as well as the one I was training with.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I travel with a G23. If it disappears, I have other Glocks to replace it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Kahr PM9 - small and easier to travel with.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I take whatever I'm normally carrying as a primary, the LCP I always carry as a backup, and a second gun either a little larger or a little smaller than the primary to account for weather, clothing, and destination-related concerns. Often I end up going with a 19/26 or 23/27 so I can bring a single spare mag that works in both guns.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I have been flying with a gun since 1980

In the US, I almost always take a Smith & Wesson Centennial

Usually it is a Model M&P340, but occasionally it will be one of my 640s

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
S&W 340PD. 13oz of just in case with two reloads.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
When I travelled by air I took my EDC gun, a Glock 19 - had several of them, so if stolen it could be replaced. No more Glock 19s but also no more plans to board a plane again at this time in my life.

Additionally I would take 10 round mags. In the past I've had planes diverted/re-routed to different states so the 10 rounders allow me to carry (LEOSA Retired Officer coverage)if I end up inside commie controlled areas of this country for a couple of days.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you do fly what type of container is the gun in ? And yes I know it goes with the checked baggage.
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Actually I just picked up a "travel" gun and it's a Taurus G3C. It's a great shooter and has been 100% reliable so far. 5 different types of Hollowpoints and 6 different FMJ's and its rock solid.

Paid $265 for it and it's probably the best bang for the buck out there.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I travel with a G23. If it disappears, I have other Glocks to replace it.

We spec them as our duty guns. Never carried it but I bought one just for familiarity.

Used it at a informal charity event when the slide fell off. Tended to not trust it so much after than. Even worse most of the Sig Academy staff was watching at the time.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
Glock 7. It's ceramic so the metal detectors don't pick it up. Downside is it costs more than you make in a month.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Last time I flew I didn’t carry. I left RDU and went straight to my friends house where he issued me a Glock 19.... I carried it for a few days while Mrs. Mike and I were at a wedding in NC, turned it back into him at the end of the trip.

Much easier, we carried our own bags and everything was fast.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Last few times I flew somewhere I could carry, it was usually a cheapo Glock 23. Before CA's hi-cap mag ban was struck down, I usually took a Makarov or P239 there.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By all means, an air pistol of coarse!

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually have access to one at my destination. If not, a Taurus g2c.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post