Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel bulge Login/Join 
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted
I'm considering purchasing an antique Colt SAA. Seller claims that the barrel has been properly repaired and relined. Pictures don't show any indication of the previous damage, nor are the any pics of the extent of the damage prior to the repairs.

This is black powder era SAA. Perhaps someone used smokeless in it, who knows. Would this revolver ever be safe to shoot again? Who could make such a determination? How much would something like this depreciate the firearm?

It's an absolutely beautiful revolver. But he's asking $8k for it; claiming that he's the good guy, had he not disclosed this info, it'd be worth $20k.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know the name of the exact Colt expert you'd need to consult with but I would make DAMNED sure I knew EXACTLY what I was getting into before plopping down 8K for such a pistol!

If the seller was unwilling to have it shipped to a certified appraiser/gunsmith before purchase I would definitely PASS.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Oh my. It's your money, of course, but I wouldn't touch that with a 20 foot pole.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GaryBF said it best. I would be very wary of that gun. Lots of counterfeits and hodge podege parts SAAs out there.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's worth what people are willing to pay. His asking doesnt make it worth the price. He says he's the good guy because he told the truth, as if that is special. Had he elected to conceal the history, he'd be guilty of fraud and would be negligent in his duty should anything ever happen...including physical damage, or simply a low appraisel of the firearm.

He might say it's worth twenty grand. He might say it's worth seven or eight. It wouldnt be worth a plug nickle to me. His saying otherwise does not change the fact.

The mere notion that he suggested he could get more money by being dishonest, and then tried to use that bit of deception as leverage and a selling point is more than enough reason to walk away from this bad deal.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been collecting Colt SAA revolvers for over 50 years. A sleeved barrel would be a deal breaker for any knowledgeable collector. It would have been better if a bulged barrel was not sleeved. Eight grand is on the low side of upper end pricing for a pre-war SAA. If you want a genuine Colt SAA to shoot, get a current 3rd generation gun for around $1400 and enjoy it. Take care of it during your lifetime and the price will increase well beyond what you pay for it. They are fine firearms but 1st Gen. SAA revolvers are no place for someone to enter Colt collecting.

Posts: 278 | Location: Utah | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Run

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
Agree with all. For that price, a full appraisal by a reputable Colt SAA expert is essential.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
A sleeved barrel would be a deal breaker for any knowledgeable collector.
- - -
Run

This and that are probably the correct answers.
I don't know diddly about Colt SAAs but I'm pretty sure that there are a ton of fakes and a rebuild isn't worth giving it a moments thought for big bucks.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking to buy a bridge? I've got a couple to sell you...

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The bulged barrels I’ve examined were just that: the outside of the barrel was enlarged at the point of the bulge. I’m curious how relining a barrel would fix that without doing something to the outside as well along with some sort of refinishing.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a gunsmith who specialized in relining pistol barrels, including those bulged by being shot with an obstruction. I think what he did was roll out the bulge mechanically, then line the bore. He worked pretty cheap back in the 1970s and it would have been a reasonable solution for a shooter.

For a collectable? I wouldn't buy.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I wonder if his idea was to get RL Wilson to do the work. He was the guy who was sued for some tricks a while back on his estimates. And then got a cut when things sold. Frown Gun guys rarely agree on things. This cycle, everyone agrees you need to run for you life (and billfold). If you turn around to run, keep your butt covered as you leave.

We used to have a Colt expert attend the big Louisville show. He once made the comment that he rarely even sees an SAA that hasn't been messed with. Don't pay big money for a gun that has had some "work" done to it. I'm thinking that $8000 is big money.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Oh my. It's your money, of course, but I wouldn't touch that with a 20 foot pole.

THIS. +1000

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An old original 1st gen colt is good functional condition starts at about 2500 and go to sky is the limit ( single digit serial number guns go for six figures and US military issue all correct in the Custer serial range will be 40-50k.
A broken repaired sleeved barrel? Try less than a current production gun

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ironrider:
I've been collecting Colt SAA revolvers for over 50 years. A sleeved barrel would be a deal breaker for any knowledgeable collector. It would have been better if a bulged barrel was not sleeved. Eight grand is on the low side of upper end pricing for a pre-war SAA. If you want a genuine Colt SAA to shoot, get a current 3rd generation gun for around $1400 and enjoy it. Take care of it during your lifetime and the price will increase well beyond what you pay for it. They are fine firearms but 1st Gen. SAA revolvers are no place for someone to enter Colt collecting.

^^^ Listen to this guy . If you want a SAA to shoot and enjoy then get a 3rd generation . I had two of the 3rd generations and the fit and finish was flawless . Great shooters also .

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice. It's a beautiful Ainsworth inspected SAA. You can see it here.

However, as some pointed out, there are a lot of variables to consider to value antique or collectible firearms. Would seem particularly so with these SAA. Reckon I'll pass.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Always eager to spend someone else's money, look here for Colt SAA. I'm sure there are other sellers as well.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/colt-guns/

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Email sent to OP

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of johnnyringo8769
posted Hide Post
well just by experience only...u can get a lot of Colt Saa's for 8000 dollars...why would u want one that has a bulged barrel that is relined?....that does not make sense to me...and the seller says they are a good guy...maybe...but sounds like a sales tactic...unless this is a very rare model with tons of paperwork and prominence...i would run away from this one...so many Colt SAA's out there..just my 2 cents...and i have been around these all of my life as i grew up with two guy who bought and traded these along with another best friend of theirs who collects these....God Bless,John

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. Our Military
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

The Republic will cease to exist when the government takes away from those who are willing to work to give to those who are not.
Unknown....

"This is what the Lord says: 'Stand at the crossroads and look; Ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.' " (Jer. 6:16)

Posts: 106 | Location: Jamestown NY 14701 | Registered: December 17, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post