SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Picked up new Beretta Wilson Combat Centurian Tactical
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up new Beretta Wilson Combat Centurian Tactical Login/Join 
posted
After a two month wait I picked up my new Wilson Combat Centurian Tactical last evening:

Ordered it with the action tune with the chrome silicon springs. Awesome trigger, very smooth and light. I really like the Hackathorn front sight. It really stands out. Not 100% sure about the ultra-thin grips yet. May swap them out for the same type that are on my Brig Tac.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sweet. I have about 500 rounds thru my Wilson Centurion and its flawless. I also have a regular centurion that i tricked out with VZ grips, a skeletonized hammer and D spring. It was already from the metal parts era so the trigger and safety levers were all steel. I have to say, the Wilson trigger is much better than my stock Centurion even with the D spring. The other noticeable issue are the sights. The Wilson sights are so much easier to use.
Love the Beretta platform.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you are happy with your Cen Tac. Love mine! However I experienced a first for a Beretta 92 after shooting several different models over 25 years... SIG Elite and Remington UMC ran fine. With WWB I experienced several fail to fire! Next trigger pull lit them off. I am not upset about it as I know it is very lightly sprung and if I continue to see this I will just install a heavier mainspring.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Hmm. Didn't realize WWB use hard primers. Reliable operation, the bane of tuned guns. So it seems even WC isn't immune to pushing it too far.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
Hmm. Didn't realize WWB use hard primers. Reliable operation, the bane of tuned guns. So it seems even WC isn't immune to pushing it too far.

Yup WWB is notorious for hard primers. Guys with tuned Glocks get lite strikes all the tme with them.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize WWB had a reputation for hard primers either. My Brig Tac with the action tune with the chrome silicon springs, and all my P226's with 17lb mainsprings run 100% with WWB, although that ammo isn't my go to range round.

Not disappointed in the Cen Tac because of this. I love the trigger but realize it has a light mainspring.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:

There is a long thread on the Beretta forum about the Brig Tac in which Bill Wilson himself, and a couple WC CS guys participated. Very informative!! This very topic was discussed (ftf with tuned guns.....) and some really good information was provided.

War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
I really want one of those...

Posts: 12541 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately due to some law Wilson won't tune the gun with the their trigger bar if the gun is new. You would have to send it back to them once you take possession of the weapon. The Wilson trigger bar adds more hammer arc so in DA the hammer travels back a little more and gives reliable ignition. It also adds a fitted over travel stop.

I personally can't think of a better upgrade to the 92 than the WC trigger bar.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If given the option to own only one of these current WC Beretta's would you guys choose the Centurion or Brigadier Tactical? Always wanted a Beretta and it would mainly be used as a range toy.

Thanks

Posts: 2183 | Registered: July 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:
quote:
Originally posted by Mark71:
If given the option to own only one of these current WC Beretta's would you guys choose the Centurion or Brigadier Tactical? Always wanted a Beretta and it would mainly be used as a range toy.

Thanks

That's kind of a tough one. Had to think about it for a while. I will do my best to answer your question.

First off....Let's face it. They are very similar in features with just a couple of obvious differences. The Cen Tac's slide and barrel is 1/2 inch shorter which makes a surprising difference in how the pistol balances. Where he Brig is a bit muzzle heavy and tends to hang a bit better the Cen Tac is more balanced. Both have upgraded slides, the biggest advantage of which means the front sight is REPLACEABLE!! Just don't know why Beretta insists on having integral sights on such a large percentage of their various 92s. The Brig front sight is a tritium while the Cen Tac has the Hackathorn orange ring surrounding a tritium vial. The sight is excellent...really pops!! While the Cen Tac featured a shortened Vertec slide, which is thicker than the standard 92 slide, the Brig has the brigadier slide which is beefed up around the locking block as well as being thicker. Both slides are modified to address a largely non-existent problem, at least as I understand it, in that there are very few true report of broken 92 slides, particularly in early military pistols firing very hot ammo through pistols with slides made from sub-standard steel. Having said all that, while some don't like it IMHO the brigadier slide is just DAMN SEXY!! I really love the contours of the brig slide.

Beyond that there are few differences which are easily changed if you prefer. The Brig has a fluted steel guide rod there the Cen Tac has a non-fluted one, and the grips on it are noticeably thinner than on the Brig. Depends on your personal preference really.

Hold a Glock to my head I personally would marginally suggest the Brig especially as a range toy as it hangs better, making it easier to be more accurate with it, at least for me. If you really like the Hackathorn front sight, as I do, it is easily changed out because the sights aren't integral. Beyond that it is really a matter of personal preference. I would suggest getting the action tune done as it results in an outstanding trigger pull. Might just as well get the chrome silicon springs too for a few bucks more as they are supposed to last the life of a barrel...a hell of a lot more than I am going to shoot. I also really like the mag guide which is an add-on with the Brig while standard with the Cen Tac, as are two 17 round and one 20 round magazines as opposed to the three 15 rounders with the Brig.

Can't go wrong either way. I decided that, after selling my Elite IIs if I had the chance I would buy/build the Beretta I wanted. Bill Wilson beat me to it. Once I got the Brig Tac I was so damn impressed that I had to order the Cen Tac when it was introduced. Great pistols!!

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask anything else if you want, and let us know if/when you pull the trigger. BTW...looks like WC actually has Brig Tacs IN STOCK for the first time ever!

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Cen Tac's slide and barrel is 1/2 inch shorter which makes a surprising difference in how the pistol balances. Where he Brig is a bit muzzle heavy and tends to hang a bit better the Cen Tac is more balanced. Both have upgraded slides

Didn't realize about the Centurion's shorter slide and barrel.

What kind of upgrade are you talking about. The Brig Tac obviously has the beefed up slide, but the Centurion, I see no difference from the regular slide.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
The Cen Tac's slide and barrel is 1/2 inch shorter which makes a surprising difference in how the pistol balances. Where he Brig is a bit muzzle heavy and tends to hang a bit better the Cen Tac is more balanced. Both have upgraded slides

Didn't realize about the Centurion's shorter slide and barrel.

What kind of upgrade are you talking about. The Brig Tac obviously has the beefed up slide, but the Centurion, I see no difference from the regular slide.

According to Bill Wilson in the video he and Ken Hackathorn made about the Cen Tac the slide on the Cen Tac is a shortened Vertec slide. The slide is listed as a shortened Vertec slide in the specifications of the pistol on the WC web site also. The Vertec slide had two distinguishing features compared to the standard slide. First, it featured a front sight dovetail. Second, it is thicker width wise than the standard slide. The brig slide is wider side to side with the area where the locking block locks being taller also.

I don't have a set of calipers with which to measure the width of the slide, nor do I have a standard 92fs either Razz, so I can't tell you how much wider it is.

posted Hide Post
sprg03-A3,

Thanks for the detailed write up. I have been leaning towards the Brig Tac for a fun range gun and will be picking one up. I don't think one could really go wrong with either. The Cent Tac felt awesome at the local gun shop and the trigger was really nice even without the action tune.

Thanks again.

Posts: 2183 | Registered: July 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark71:
sprg03-A3,

Thanks for the detailed write up. I have been leaning towards the Brig Tac for a fun range gun and will be picking one up. I don't think one could really go wrong with either. The Cent Tac felt awesome at the local gun shop and the trigger was really nice even without the action tune.

Thanks again.

Sure thing. Glad to help. Hope I didn't waste your time by loading up my response with information you already knew.

I know it sounds cliche' to say that you can't go wrong. I think the full-size pistol, all else being equal, makes for a better range pistol which will be shot alot and carried little.

Beyond all that, IMHO if you were going to buy THE Beretta I think the WC is the way to go. You won't get the combination of the all-metal parts, 'G' decocker, checkered frame, upgraded sights that are also upgradeable, stainless shortened barrel with the target crown and updated slide, most of which can be very expensive to get done, otherwise unless you do the work yourself or pay to get it done. You certainly can get a Beretta cheaper, and keep in mind it still is a Beretta manufactured pistol, but you get just that, a perfectly good but cheaper Beretta.

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Just picked up a like new non railed centurion that is going to wilson and then to Ernest Langdon

OP -I'll swap you my standard WC grips for your ultra thins.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ruger357,

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Just picked up a like new non railed centurion that is going to wilson and then the Ernest Langdon

Cool!! That must be pretty hard to come by. Enjoy!

Picture of Sarge1998
posted Hide Post
I agree with everything sprg03-A3 has related and it's not just because I picked up my Wilson Combat Centurion tactical yesterday too! The only thing I can add is that my Timney trigger gauge lists the DA pull as 6.25 lbs and the SA as 3.25 lbs. The action is very smooth and on Monday I'll see if my impression changes after a trip to the range.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Posts: 440 | Location: Illinois | Registered: May 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Seems that the Centurion is a little more expensive than the Brig Tac, both action tuned. Any ideas why?

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Seems that the Centurion is a little more expensive than the Brig Tac, both action tuned. Any ideas why?

The Cen Tac comes with the mag guide installed. It is an 'option' on the Brig Tac. I have it in both as I don't care for the looks of the lanyard loop, and think it's kinda cool Wink! Also, if this is important to you the Brig Tac comes with three 15 round mags, the Cen Tac with two 17 round mags and one 20 round mag.