Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig mosquito Login/Join 
posted
Hi all is this anything anyone has I was thinking about getting one my local place has one for 275 and thought with the price of ammo and being a sig fan it would be fun . Looking for some input . Thanks in advance

Posts: 120 | Location: New York | Registered: April 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Don't. There are some reports of the Mosquito being fine after it is broken in, but many more reports of it being a pain in the ass. There are lots of good, fun .22LR pistols. The Mosquito is not one of them.

Posts: 3425 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned my Mosquito now for many years. I purchased it new. They HAVE to be broken in thoroughly, and Mimi-Mag ammo is what you want to shoot in it. Some guns will handle other ammo after a good breakin, but not all. I did a fluff and buff on mine, and it shoots Federal bulk ammo with no problem. If you are handy with mechanical things, esp. guns, then you may do just fine with one. If not, perhaps you should look at a Browning Buckmark, or a Ruger.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't buy one again. Looked cool and eventually worked somewhat reliably. Feels like a cheap gun and the trigger was pretty awful. I sold mine for $225 with wood grips and extra mags. Took the money and bought a Ruger 22/45. Much happier with the Ruger and S&W .22 pistols....I saw my old Mosquito for sale again twice on our local gun trader forum....

I know some folks really like their Mosquitos and I respect that. It just wasn't for me.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Had one it worked fine, the trigger isn't great, and others are correct, you need to run CCI Mini Mags or equivalent in it or you'll have issues.

Dumped it eventually for a Ruger Mk111 and now a MkIv. I'd look for one of them, walther 22 etc first.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is literally no reason to get one at any price. They are truly terrible, and unsupported. Just get a Ruger, Buckmark, or Victory and be happy for a million rounds or 100 years whichever comes first.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fullmann
posted Hide Post
Mine has been GTG from the beginning. I do know that I’m in the minority though. I can say that mine worked like garbage with the plastic mag, has been fine with the metal mags.

For that price I’d pass.

GSG was the original manufacturer, just remarked SIG, I believe they are sold now as a firefly. You can find em below $200.

Posts: 412 | Location: Mid Michigan  | Registered: June 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Nope. That would be a waste of money, in my opinion.
Too many occurrences of things breaking.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 22lr's are Ruger and Walter. I have had very good success with them, for example SR22, Mark IV 22/45 lite, PPQ 4" & 5." My Walter four-inch PPQ has 13,600 rounds through it and is still going strong. Your money is better spent elsewhere.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info I'll use the money for other stuff . I could use some new grips for my new 239 lol . I appreciate all your feedback

Posts: 120 | Location: New York | Registered: April 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want a cheap auto 22, the Ruger Mark II and Mark III's were traded in a lot for the Mark IV. I've seen a number of them under 275.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
If you like the Mosquito and want a service style .22 pistol check out the S&W M&Pc in .22lr.

The Mosquito is a pretty terrible gun. I had one and after some work it was able to fire most stuff, but I wouldn’t own another one.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t get it. Sig replaced my first one. I just think it is second or third rate. I do not enjoy shooting it. Love my 3 Rugers.

Posts: 103 | Location: Idaho | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info I appreciate it. I saw a Beretta m9 22 that seem to have good reviews anyone have one of these??.

posted Hide Post
Mosquito...now that's a name that I had hoped to never hear again. POS if there ever was an example of such.

His Dishonorable Jam-O-Matic, that was my Mosquito. Made no difference what ammo I used. Being sold off was too good of a fate for that vile thing. A model with a very sordid history...and future. Pot metal slide that's prone to cracking if by some miracle one can actually get the round count into the tens of thousands. Minimal CS and parts support during its day, likely due to the reality that SIG Sauer proper didn't build the gun. GSG, who later became a sister division to SIG, was the actual manufacturer. When the evil witch Merkel cast her wrath upon SIG DE and disallowed any further direct SIG Sauer exports to the USA, the Mosquito almost overnight became the GSG Firefly and is still in production to this day. Presumably Firefly parts--if available from GSG CS--can be used to keep an old Mosquito running.

But who in their right mind would want to?

-MG

Posts: 1932 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Sig couldn't even give them away to employees.

It was never a Sig. Stay away from it.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“Sometimes the front falls off”
Parabellum

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a solid training gun if you are in to Classic Sigs. Mine has over 5000 rounds through it and pretty flawless after the first 500 rounds using mostly cci mini mags. Beyond that there are a few better combat style 22s that function better and are better built. I have a few of them and far and away to me the best combat stlye 22 is the beretta 87. Shoots any ammo and has been flawless since i got it. And its also a pretty Pistol.

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ that is the only reason I have kept mine, and it was given to me.
I like that it has the same manual of arms as my carry pistol. Great for practicing failure to feed. It does run decent with CCI's and if you take the time to rub down the ammo with a silicone cloth it almost never fails to run.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe123:
...and if you take the time to rub down the ammo with a silicone cloth it almost never fails to run.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post