SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Revolver love...need help on a holster for a S&W 686-6 2.5"...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revolver love...need help on a holster for a S&W 686-6 2.5"... Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
So, for a long, short story...several years ago I found myself totally revolver-less. I had invested heavily in Glocks, etc, and had totally abandoned the wheelgun. Then I picked up a S&W 642-2 from a coworker - just to have one for illustration in range instruction. Then I traded a different co-worker for my old 640-1 I bough back in 1996. Then for my anniversary my wife bought me a S&W 19 K Comp.

I now just bought a S&W 686-6 performance center 7-shot 2.5 inch barrel. The feel of the trigger is as good as the K-Comp. And yeah...I plan to start carrying some of my revolvers... The 686 had enough capacity to be carried as a desk gun at my department...

But I need some suggestions on a holster. I need a black, preferably leather, holster for my new L-Frame. I'm looking for one OWB and one IWB that does a good job of stabilizing the weight / girth of this pugnacious fire breather. I'll post a pic of my wheelgun family once I pick it up from my waiting period.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
El Paso Saddlery Number Two.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TT Gunleather.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
There are a number of options from Barranti Leather that might work for you.

https://barrantileather.com/

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have nothing to really add as far as holsters go.

I just want to applaud the OP for showing some old school cool by strapping on a revolver.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t have any holster suggestions but nice gun! My wife has a 686 Nightguard, I got into kydex initially to make a holster and speed loader pouches for her.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
Just one word of caution - if you get a highly boned leather holster, make sure that you specify that it is for a 7-shot revolver. While cylinder dimensions (length, diam.) are the same for the six and seven shot L-frame cylinders, the flutes are in different places. Just something that may be overlooked.

Good luck in your search.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1448 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you considered a Kramer belt scabbard ? It’s an open top pancake style and you can get it in cowhide or horsehide. I’m getting ready to order one in horsehide for my newly acquired 2.75 inch model 66-8. I don’t know if they offer one with retention in case your agency requires one.

Posts: 744 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m a huge fan of Simply Rugged holsters..

Posts: 448 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
When it comes to leather I love the holsters by R. Grizzle. I own many of his IWB models with the “Town & Country 2” being my favorite. When a buddy of mine retired a few years ago we got him a Smith M66-1 2.5” and a nice holster for it. It is a “CB” (Countryboy) model from R. Grizzle in mahogany. He also offers black. He loves it and calls it his “church gun” lol.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have three R. Grizzle Country Boy holsters, only one for a revolver (442), and recommend them highly. They really conform to your body and hold the grip in close so very good concealability. Worth the long wait especially for a special revolver like you describe.

Posts: 546 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Updates with some family photos...

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oaklane:
I’m a huge fan of Simply Rugged holsters..

As am I. I have a bunch of their holsters and some various other items and I’m very happy. They ship relatively fast for a leather maker (2-3 weeks IME) and do really good work. One thing I really like is that one holster can be used for both IWB and OWB carry if you get the IWB add-on, which IIRC is only an extra 10-15 bucks. Even if I don’t plan on carrying IWB, like for my 5.5” Ruger Redhawk, I still pay the extra to get the straps and holes. And I have carried that gun IWB in the holster and it’s surprisingly comfortable.

Love that 7 shot 686 by the way. I was between it and the Colt King Cobra and went with the Colt, which IMO was the wrong choice. That’s a sweet addition to the nice collection you have.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I've used an El Paso Saddlery Street Combat holster for my 3" Model 66 for years and I'm really happy with it. Their wait times can be long, but worth it.

https://epsaddlery.com/product...reet-combat-holster/

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
By the way, thanks for spending my money. Just ordered a holster from El Paso for my 3" GP100.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Wow...From revolver-less to a full family in short order. Nice work!

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Ugly Bald Guy holsters. www.ubgholsters.com

Regulator for OWB,
Striker for IWB.

KIimber K6s Holster by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Kimber K6s with Holster by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I received my first Simply Rugged OWB
holster with conversion straps for IWB and I love the way my gun hugs my body and doesn’t show Through or print even with a tee shirt.

Posts: 393 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kho:
I have three R. Grizzle Country Boy holsters, only one for a revolver (442), and recommend them highly. They really conform to your body and hold the grip in close so very good concealability. Worth the long wait especially for a special revolver like you describe.

+++ on Grizzle ! I've got several for auto pistols and revolvers, you might wait a few weeks but it will be exceptional when you get to use the product.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Genorogers,

Posts: 921 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post