SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What's your opinion on Heritage Firearms?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your opinion on Heritage Firearms? Login/Join 
posted
Heritage recently come out with a 22lr pistol called the Barkeep.
https://heritagemfg.com/small-bore/heritage-barkeep

6-shot, single action, 2" barrel with a simple (trigger bar?) safety.
Easily converted to .22 WMR with a cylinder swap (purchased seperately) and birds head grips are also available.
Simple, cheap, but is it worth ownership?

Thinking inexpensive snakeshot propeller.

I see they are owned by Taurus.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
It looks a lot like a small version of their rough-rider, which is a cheap pot-metal pistol with an annoying and unnecessary plastic manual safety that they put right where I like to rest my thumb when shooting a single-action. What you really want is a Ruger Single-Six or a Ruger Bearcat, which is the smaller model that appears to be what this thing is trying to emulate.

The Rugers are excellent guns that are made of quality steel and have good heft to them. They feel almost like a full-size single action, just scaled down a bit...but the quality is definitely there. They are a little spendy, but can be found used for pretty cheap if you shop around.

If you want something cheaper, and are ok with lower quality materials, the Ruger Wrangler is basically a cut-rate Single-Six. It's still a better option than the Heritage offerings, if only because it doesn't have that abominable manual safety.

ETA: This is the heritage safety. The ugly plastic flippy thing just to the left of the hammer.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know my dad has a Heritage Firearms pistol that came with two cylinders and he really likes it.

Me and the other half have shot the crap out of it using the .22 cylinder.

When did they start placing safeties near the hammer? Have they always been there and I never noticed them?

(Edit)
When I am back in Florida I will take it out of the toy box and check it. I know it is one of the older production ones but I do not remember a safety on it.

If it has always had one I am surprised my father would have bought it.

That is horrible..

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What the fuck is that abomination? Why would you need or want that? 92fstech gave you good advice.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Heritage years ago and could not hit the broad side of a barn with it. Timing would be an issue as well as light primer/rim strikes. I would opt for a Ruger. Like others have said, they are better quality and work right out of the box. In my opinion, when it comes with a SA .22, for a few dollars more, you should not take the cheaper route. Wranglers are good but if you can get a Single-Six or a Bearcat, you would be better off.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Main reason for thinking about this over a Ruger was for the short 2" barrel.
2-3" S&W have some crazy prices.

But, I don't want to purchase a firearm which has the Mosquito's reputation. Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
I don't want to purchase a firearm which has the Mosquito's reputation. Wink

Then there's your answer; avoid Heritage Wink

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8766 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
The Ruger would be my pick. Wink

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'd put out a little more cash and get a Ruger Bearcat or Single Six. Something that will last several lifetimes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jaybirdaccountant,

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Main reason for thinking about this over a Ruger was for the short 2" barrel.
2-3" S&W have some crazy prices.

But, I don't want to purchase a firearm which has the Mosquito's reputation. Wink

I will admit that my FIL's Rough Rider has been decently reliable for a .22 (although the fixed sights are way off). Other than that, though, the Mosquito comparison is pretty apt.

If I was in the market for a short-barreled single-action .22, I'd hunt down one of these (I think Lipsey's has a blued version, if you prefer):

https://ruger.com/products/new...specSheets/0915.html

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Probably the only redeeming quality of the Heritage is it does have the 4 clicks. It is a cheap single action. And if the safety could be deleted I would. I have a couple but that was way before the Wrangler. Yeah, sight picture is a gamble but so way every fixed sight smoke wagon back I the day. The Barkeep seems pointless though.

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaybirdaccountant:
Yes, I put out a little more cash and get a Ruger Bearcat or Single Six. Something will last several lifetimes.

even the wrangler

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
How does one eject spent casings? (From the barkeep)

Posts: 10751 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
How does one eject spent casings? (From the barkeep)

Comes with a metal rod with wooden handle for ejection.
https://palmettostatearmory.co...rips-bk22b2gprl.html

Here's some nice photos of everything.
https://shoot-on.com/heritage-mfg-serves-em-up-short/

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Decent guns for the price.

Nobody will confuse it with a Python, not even your CPA.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
The Ruger is far better, no doubt about that.

But I bought a Heritage for a hundred bucks. And it’s been a great little plinker that I throughly enjoy. If the Wrangler had been available I probably would have bought that instead but it went out yet and I don’t regret my purchase at all.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I understand the snobbery regarding such gun done on the cheap, for a revolver that's normally a few ticks over a C note, they're not that bad. Sure they have that stupid safety and are rather rough in build and finish, but they're STILL cheap-in-the-good-way shoots that's especially kind on the wallet. Every Heritage I've ever tried has worked like it should, though a couple of instances the sights should've been aligned better. But it's one of those "once you figure it out" kind of circumstances; it ain't no big thang once I figured out how those two guns pointed. Actually made it kind of fun to figure it out, considering how inexpensive the caliber is to shoot. After all it's not like one is sighting in a 338 Lapua at $8 a trigger pull; it's popping soup cans with .22 and a $120 revolver.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been selling Heritage guns to women and people who want to teach their kids to shoot. It is reliable (unlike the Mosquito), cheap, and, as a single-action, you won't eat up a lot of expensive ammo. Additionally, the safety, while ugly, is a good tool when teaching safe gun handling. Most "learners" want to upgrade after learning to shoot. Well, at 150 bucks or so, you won't lose much on a Heritage.

For us experienced gun folks, a Ruger Bearcat or Single-Six type gun makes more sense.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I have a 3.5" barrel birds head grip model that I like real well. I bought it used for $130, about a third of what a Bearcat or Single Six would sell for used.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Heritage .22 Rough Rider. It's a nice little plinker. I got it mostly for a fun gun that would be easy for my wife to shoot. But of course, you probably wouldn't want to buy it for anything serious. The manual safety doesn't really bother me much since I usually just fire it at the range.

Posts: 31 | Registered: December 31, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post