SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Rock Island standard 1911 opinions?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rock Island standard 1911 opinions? Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
An acquaintance has two RIA 1911 standard 5” and they need money ASAP, asked if I’d be interested. I am but I don’t know a thing about them other than they’re going for about $400 new. Pics look like they need some cleaning. Opinions on quality and fair price?

Thanks!

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I bought a RIA Tactical-something a couple years ago, and haven't yet been able to get it to function reliably. Granted it's been sitting in the safe for a year now, but it has a tendency to lock back while there are still rounds in the magazine. The slide release is getting pushed up (no, not by my thumb). Doing some measurements and comparing it to my Dan Wesson, I believe the cutout in the slide for the release wasn't done right. It shoots pretty well, it just stops shooting prematurely. Frown

ETA: Also, I wanted it to be my HD pistol and got one with a rail on it so I could mount a WML. Turns out the rail is rounded enough that the light I have won't go on it. IMO, pass. I know a guy who's making noise about being interested in it just for a range toy, even knowing the issues, so I'll probably sell it to him (at a loss) and get a railed Springfield 1911 to replace it.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When Rock Island uses the term "standard" I believe they are only referring to a pistol with a Government size slide and barrel, not a specific model.

Their least expensive standard model at this time is the "GI standard". I have a "Rock standard". The "Rock" series used to be called the "Tactical".

I have had to make a number of modifications to my RIA "Rock" to suit my hand and add reliability. The Rock model came with a full-length guide rod. The GI series has a standard GI short guide rod. I found that my pistol was having some failures to feed and failure to fully return to battery. Racking the slide, it felt as if there was some binding just before the slide returned to battery. Changing the full-length guide rod and open plug to a standard GI guide rod and closed plug seemed to help. This feed problem seems to be smoothing out, but I would still not consider this gun reliable enough for SD use. It does shoot quite well, however, and is fun at the range.

This pistol also came with an ambidextrous thumb safety with sharp edges which I detested. I swapped it for a Wilson Combat extended non-ambi thumb safety.

Most of the other changes I made to the pistol were to suit my hand size and some "preemptive" parts swaps to enhance (possibly) long-term reliability. I needed a longer trigger and thicker grips to suit my hand size. I did not care for the plain black sights and swapped the front sight for a Hi-Viz fiberoptic and enlarged the aperture on the rear sight. I also swapped out all of the springs, and changed the slide stop for a WC model. Changed to thicker grips and added a Pierce grip sleeve.

The feed ramp and barrel throat also looked as if they could stand some polishing. The polymer mainspring housing had sharp edges and I swapped it for a flat, steel model 1911 type MSH.

After all these changes, it is a pleasant pistol to shoot. Not knowing exactly what model pistols you are talking about makes it hard to estimate a fair price, but personally, I would be reluctant to offer more than $300 a piece regardless of model.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pblanc,

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
An acquaintance has two RIA 1911 standard 5” and they need money ASAP, asked if I’d be interested. I am but I don’t know a thing about them other than they’re going for about $400 new. Pics look like they need some cleaning. Opinions on quality and fair price?

Thanks!

I owned two RIA GI standard. Sold one and still have the other. Older model. Shoots very well, IMO.

Bought used about 8 years ago for $300. Shot very little. Box, paperwork, two mags.

I would guess, $250-300, depending on condition and box, paperwork, etc...

TGS had 8 round magazines (Italy) at a decent price.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one a few years ago had trouble feeding sent it in and it came back working great. Sold it to a LEO. It was around $500.00 back then. When you buy or sell a gun it is all about the box Smile. You get a fair price when you have the box. Used you should be around $250.oo +.

Posts: 361 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rlex
posted Hide Post
I have a 11 year old RIA 1911 A1 Full-size that I bought new for $378. Never had a problem with it and has been accurate. Sights are standard 1911 sights, so they aren't great.

Retired US Naval Officer - Surface Warfare

Posts: 34 | Location: VT | Registered: April 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Mine have been great. Watch this intro/overview vid if you want.

The GI is my favorite.

https://youtu.be/OioVPzJcrmU

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3203 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
One of those "You get what you pay for" things.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I sold a 38 super , standard GI Type pistol, that I never had an issue with,

I did replace the grips (originals sucked)

ran like a top, sold it since I picked up a 1975 vintage Colt in 38 super

if they need a cleaning more than a casual wipe down, go 275ish,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Well since I don’t exactly need (ha, need) these and I was told by a local dealer he wouldn’t pay more than $200, I offered that thinking this person would try to get more. They accepted so it looks like I could soon be the new owner of two RIA 1911s.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The RIAs I have had were well worth that. Nice catch.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Well since I don’t exactly need (ha, need) these and I was told by a local dealer he wouldn’t pay more than $200, I offered that thinking this person would try to get more. They accepted so it looks like I could soon be the new owner of two RIA 1911s.

You did well. BTW, some easier to find at a gun show Colt 1911 parts will fit the RIA 1911.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I have a couple I have had for over 20 years.
They are good ,accurate shooters.
The only thing I have had to change was to up the main spring.
Many thousands of rounds thru one,the other is assigned to my front door duty,locked and loaded.
Be prepared for snobbs to bust your chops,then bust their right back with its accuracy

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I bought a full size 9mm a couple of years ago and can't complain one bit. No failures of any kind and very accurate. I also own a number of Colts and a Ruger 1911.

Posts: 5615 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
I have a couple I have had for over 20 years.
They are good ,accurate shooters.
The only thing I have had to change was to up the main spring.
Many thousands of rounds thru one,the other is assigned to my front door duty,locked and loaded.
Be prepared for snobbs to bust your chops,then bust their right back with its accuracy

Not at all worried about snobs looking down on me. I get a cheap but hopefully functional occasional range toy and this person gets some cash to help with a problem.

Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I have one in 9mm and couldn't be happier.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Finally got my hands on these. They were obviously it well cared for judging by the amount of dust and dirt. There are a few places on both where rust was starting and some dings from what had to be drops. Functionally they were solid and inside of the barrels just needed a brush but based on the condition I offered $300 total and they accepted. Just put a full mag through both, no hiccups. If I can get PostImage figured out I’ll get some horrible pics uploaded.

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Ya done good

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post