SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Suppressed 9mm host?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suppressed 9mm host? Login/Join 
posted
Ok, I'll cut straight to the point. I have an older W. German made Sig P226 which I really like. I also like the E2 grip on my newer generation 229-40S&W.

I am a bit reluctant to order a ~$200 barrel for my P226, prefering to keep it original.

So, if I buy another pistol, P239 TB, P229 TB, or one of the P226 TB options, which one and why? How do these three compare to each other in suppressed shooting? I plan on using 147gr Federal HST's or speer 147gr Gold Dot's with some limited use of 124gr +P loadings and a few Lehigh Defense 9mm 115gr Extreme Penetrators (against feral hogs).

The newer 9mm loadings have had me thinking about a P229 SAS for everday general carry ...

TIA,
Sid (from East Texas)

Posts: 42 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: February 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sid Post:
Ok, I'll cut straight to the point. I have an older W. German made Sig P226 which I really like. I also like the E2 grip on my newer generation 229-40S&W.

I am a bit reluctant to order a ~$200 barrel for my P226, prefering to keep it original.

So, if I buy another pistol, P239 TB, P229 TB, or one of the P226 TB options, which one and why? How do these three compare to each other in suppressed shooting? I plan on using 147gr Federal HST's or speer 147gr Gold Dot's with some limited use of 124gr +P loadings and a few Lehigh Defense 9mm 115gr Extreme Penetrators (against feral hogs).

The newer 9mm loadings have had me thinking about a P229 SAS for everday general carry ...

TIA,
Sid (from East Texas)

All else being equal, longer barrels suppress better than shorter barrels. Any of the three would make a good host but the 226 is almost certainly going to be the quietest.

Posts: 60 | Registered: November 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 226 Elite Dark that is suppressed, no complaints. Not sure I would want to carry a threaded barrel for daily concealed. I suspect you'll run into holster limitations, could be wrong. If it's a range toy/night stand gun, which my 226 is, my opinion is to go bigger (226).

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 226 legion and X5 are both threaded and run great suppressed. I’d go 226 and just look for a holster with an open bottom to accommodate the extra barrel. I carry mine IWB without issue.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rlex
posted Hide Post
I have shot suppressed om my 228, 229 and 226 - all are great.

Retired US Naval Officer - Surface Warfare

Posts: 34 | Location: VT | Registered: April 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone!

A little bit of clarification ...
I have a P226/9 and P229/40S&W already so concealed carry isn't a concern for me. My CCW holsters are generally an open bottom models, only my field holsters are closed on the bottom and flapped (I don't like sand in a holster).

This pistol would be open carry on rural property in Texas loaded most likely with Lehigh Defense Extreme Penetrators for use primarily against feral hogs. I have been carrying a P220ST but, it just doesn't work well on feral hogs and came close to getting me hurt on a ~100lb boar. I try to shoot suppressed when I can so I disturb my neighbors less. And, yes I prefer a rifle but that isn't practical carrying a chainsaw, fishing pole, etc.

The P239 does provide a small advantage when I go to the feed store, convenience store, grocery store, etc. in town to grab something because I can toss it in a pocket out of sight from kids and liberals (I don't like arguments with do-gooders at the checkout stand).

So ultimately, it is a balanced choice between effectiveness on feral hogs, everyday portability (it does me no good locked up in a safe) and, ease of carry doing farm chores and some farm recreation things.

TIA,
Sid

Posts: 42 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: February 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Drew816
posted Hide Post
The fundamental questions is if you want to buy another vs. use what you've got and add too it. I ordered a Barsto Threaded for my Hi-Powers and it took nearly 9 months to arrive but now I can swap it in and out between weapons and/or for the original barrel if I so choose. I was leaning towards buying another suppressed host and ended up getting a great deal on the Barsto and I just had to be patient. Which is an issue you won't experience I suspect as P226 threaded barrels aren't that hard to come by... Wink

Good luck!

==================================

Posts: 476 | Registered: February 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Unless you are really looking for a reason to buy another firearm, I would simply purchase a original factory SIG threaded barrel

I have a few other SIGs that I shoot supressed. A P239 and an X5 Tactical TB.

Functionally, thee is no appreciably difference between them.

My other 9MM suppressed firearms are my HK USP9SD and my UZI SMG

As to ammunition, I have been shooting up a large stockpile of IMI 158 grain for the past few decades. As it ran dry, I then started handloading the 158 Truncated Cones.

Recently I have switched to loading 165 grain projectiles just for a bigger punch at subsonic velocities

For carry, I use the Speer 147 Gold Dot since that is the heaviest JHPs readily available

You also want to keep in mind that with suppressed 9MM hand guns there are two different thread patterns. This is no big deal if you have one suppressor and one firearm. However if you plan on adding to the firearms that can bee use with the suppressor you either need to have a can with interchangeable back ends or firearms that are all threaded the same way.

HK and SIG use the metric thread, 13.5x1, while most other manufacturers use the SAE thread, 1/2x28

A bonus to folks that have 1/2x28 9MM suppressors is that they can go on 22LR pistols and rifles and work surprisingly well.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
How's that 239 suppressed?

I'm considering saving towards a 9mm suppressor. I'd also been wanting a 9mm barrel for my 239, and happened upon a threaded one in the classifieds for a deal. Two birds, and what have you Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
How's that 239 suppressed?

I'm considering saving towards a 9mm suppressor. I'd also been wanting a 9mm barrel for my 239, and happened upon a threaded one in the classifieds for a deal. Two birds, and what have you Wink

The P239 can be a great suppressor host. I use a 9mm factory threaded barrel in my P239/40 with an AAC Evo-9 suppressor (1.25” X 7.5”, about 9.5 oz) and I’m very happy with the results. Because the pistol is a little on the heavy side and the can is on the smaller side, the combination of the two balances well. It comes up on target fast and shot to shot recovery is quick. The 1.25” diameter of the Evo-9 allows me to use the factory sights. Overall it’s just a very nice “package”.

There are people who complain about the size/shape of the P239 grip. Adding a suppressor to the muzzle end certainly doesn’t do anything to help and the weight of it can exasperate the twisting motion of the pistol in the hand when shooting. I’ve used factory, Hogue finger groove and Hogue G10 grips. If you’re having trouble maintaining your grip on the pistol, either of the Hogue’s are better than the factory.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:

As to ammunition, I have been shooting up a large stockpile of IMI 158 grain for the past few decades. As it ran dry, I then started handloading the 158 Truncated Cones.

<snip>

Recently I have switched to loading 165 grain projectiles just for a bigger punch at subsonic velocities

For carry, I use the Speer 147 Gold Dot since that is the heaviest JHPs readily available

You also want to keep in mind that with suppressed 9MM hand guns there are two different thread patterns. This is no big deal if you have one suppressor and one firearm. However if you plan on adding to the firearms that can bee use with the suppressor you either need to have a can with interchangeable back ends or firearms that are all threaded the same way.

HK and SIG use the metric thread, 13.5x1, while most other manufacturers use the SAE thread, 1/2x28

A bonus to folks that have 1/2x28 9MM suppressors is that they can go on 22LR pistols and rifles and work surprisingly well.

For factory ammo, I plan on using the 147gr Gold Dots or HST when I'm not running Lehigh's Extreme Penetrators.

My can has both SAE and Metric 9mm threading options so, that's not a significant concern but, I prefer the metric threading.

I have 22lr cans so, I won't be leading up my 9mm's.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:

I have a few other SIGs that I shoot supressed. A P239 and an X5 Tactical TB.

How does that SWR Trident-9 compare to the AAC Evo-9? Does it block your sights or affect balance more?

posted Hide Post
quote:

How does that SWR Trident-9 compare to the AAC Evo-9? Does it block your sights or affect balance more?

The Trident is built on a 1.375” tube and will block the factory sights. It’s about 1.5 oz heavier and just shy of an inch longer (with the LCD mounted). It’s also probably a little quieter. Please keep in mind I'm talking about a slide for the .40/.357 version of the P239, the 9mm version will be different.

Regarding balance, all suppressed pistols are going to be nose heavy. Hand someone with no suppressed pistol experience a suppressed pistol and ask them if it’s balanced and they’ll look at you like you’ve got two head’s. I think it’s really only notable when comparing suppressed pistols side by side. Compare a suppressed P239 to a Glock 19 with the same can mounted and you’ll feel the difference. Shoot them side by side and the difference is obvious. With that said, balance is still a very subjective thing.

The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:

While folks like to discuss which is "BEST" if you take the top five suppressors on the market you would be hard pressed to HEAR any SIGnificant difference between them

My choice of the Trident was based on my usage. The Trident had a UZI nut back end as an option plus it was rated for SMG use, plus it was rated for .300 blackout (I threaded a 12 T/C barrel). I also use the Trident on a 357 Magnum model 1892 lever action and I am looking for a 357 Magnum pump rifle to thread up next. Smile

I do not believe the EVO 9 was available when I purchased the Trident. Even if it had, the Trident truped the EVO on the features I was looking for. Yes I know I could have had the UZI barrel threaded, but I like the look of the barrel nut adapter.

As to sights, I learned to shoot suppressed firearms many decades ago. "Suppressor Sights" are a relatively modern concept. So us old guys were taught to sight through the can. So I never even think about it. In fact I hate the concept of "Suppressor Sights" in a combat or defensive role since the TALL front sight has a larger possibility of snagging on the draw from a concealed location

As Battlecloth mentions, ALL suppressed pistols are going to be muzzle heavy. This goes in the pro column, not the con column. All that extra weight out front pretty much keeps your muzzle from rising. This makes your next shot much quicker whether it is on the same target or multiple targets.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post