SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock guys. A poll regarding magazines.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock guys. A poll regarding magazines. Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Interesting results so far. Originally, same model mag was running away with it but now a larger mag has almost caught up. Very few with a sleeve though. And no mag is in 3rd place.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sleeves are just a problem waiting to happen on a reload. Fine if you use it in the gun as you carry. For spare, it’s just a moving part that adds a complication where none existed prior. It’s your poll but this is kind of silly. If you can carry a bigger mag carry it. If you can’t don’t.

Like old pilots always said, you can never have too much gas unless you are on fire.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
shield magazines in my 43x

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Sleeves are just a problem waiting to happen on a reload. Fine if you use it in the gun as you carry. For spare, it’s just a moving part that adds a complication where none existed prior. It’s your poll but this is kind of silly. If you can carry a bigger mag carry it. If you can’t don’t.

The majority in this poll disagree with you which is why I asked. I was curious as to the answer.

I do agree about the sleeve though.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No disrespect intended to anyone by my following comment. I find most people tend to follow trends. If you are a stock guy you follow stock trends. If you are a Jeep guy you follow Jeep trends. Gun guys the same. Many times without thought. I have military, le, airline, in my background. Trained by all three. They are different in many ways. Similar in many ways. All have technical aspects that are driven into you by training and repetition. Many do exactly as trained. Many start asking why do we do it that way? Lots of times, most of the time perhaps, the baseline reason makes quantifiable sense. Sometimes you literally get the deer in the headlights look and either a bullshit answer or something akin to well that’s how we always did it.

I read and watch and practice lots of things. As do most of us. I ask the why do we do this though in every walk of life. Drives my wife nuts.

Sleeves are an easy one. They serve a purpose. You want a 19 length grip with a 26 mag. Ok, problem solved. Adding one to you reload though is problematic. All it has to do is shift on the mag tube and you might fumble a reload. Opposed to a bare longer mag tube. Does shooting it and perhaps gripping it while shooting induce a malfunction? In my limited experience, that is a no. Primarily for me 17 mags in 19’s and full size cz75 mags in compacts. For me, my hand never touches the mag body so there isn’t even a chance if issue.

So, long way to say, ask yourself the question. Does adding a sleeve add another avenue to a malfunction? In a reload will it make you get more hits? To me the answer is obvious. Sleeves are for tiny guns that you can’t shoot well with standard mag. For a reload, they are just dumb and literally serve no purpose. Tell me the purpose if I’m wrong. Sitting in your mag carrier what purpose does a sleeve serve?

Some trends don’t hold up under scrutiny. Some do. You might not be the best judge but it should make sense to you. Until it does, dint follow it. Or have it explained to you till it does.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I agree with the above, with regard to the rubber/polymer slip-on magazine sleeves, like X-Grip. Good for the range, or for keeping a larger capacity magazine in your handgun as a primary magazine. Not so good for reloads with spare magazines under stress, since their fit tends to be pretty loose, and shifting of the loose-fitting slip-on sleeve can cause you to fumble the reload.

However, there are a few magazine sleeves or grip extenders on the market that are held in place with set screws (like A&G), or attached to an aftermarket baseplate. If you want some extra purchase on your spare mag(s), something more permanent like those would be the better way to go.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. With the obvious caveat that you should test that “permanent” adapter till you are comfortable with its reliability.

This is literally the one time I kneel down at the Glock altar. Their mags don’t hold the most but the baseplate on a stock glock mag ain’t coming off by accident. Or by dropping. Or whatever. I’m sure someone has an anecdote. I don’t care. Shoot an HK long enough and you will watch some of their baseplate depart earth orbit upon hitting concrete. Glock mags won’t self destruct or perhaps more accurately, they are the toughest mag on the planet.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m sure someone has an anecdote. I don’t care.

Worth quoting all on its own. Big Grin

Totally agree about stock Glock base plates, though. They’re not coming off incidentally, unless it’s a +2, and then I’ve got that anecdote you don’t care about. Big Grin

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
quote:

Like old pilots always said, you can never have too much gas unless you are on fire.

I will agree with you on sleeves. They only really matter on single stacks. Double stacks are mostly immune from slamming the mag into the ejector.

Polls are fun.

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2125 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I’m pretty boring, carry the same magazine as firearm model. I do keep a couple 33 rounds mags in my center console in case it’s time to party.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
G19 for EDC
Two spare mags in the door pocket of my truck.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of magholderusa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
For those of you that carry a Glock (let’s say a G19 for example)...if you carry a spare mag, do you carry another G19 mag, a G19 mag with a +2 basepad, a G17 mag, a G17 mag with a sleeve, or a higher capacity mag?

I carry a single spare mag the same size as the one in my pistol! It has served me well so far!

Ricky Taggart
Magholder.com
Utah, USA

Posts: 216 | Location: Cedar Hills, UT, USA | Registered: September 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
All the above?

Sometimes I throw another Glock 19 mag in a front pocket. Sometimes a 17 mag at work. And I’ve started messing with the Taran Tactical +4 additions. Mounted on a 19 mag they are a hair longer than a 17 mag, and it holds 19 rounds.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I mostly Glock with a G26 and carry a same stock spare. If on a road trip with the family, I opt for a 19, spare mag, and full box of ammo in the drivers door pocket.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
G32 here, no wimpy 9.... Razz

Jeeps...guns...German Shepherds!

Posts: 81 | Registered: September 29, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Option you forgot: Glock mag from a larger model with a +2 when I carry a 19.

When I carry a G45 or G17, it’s a mag for the same model with a +2.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If carrying a G17, I carried G17 mags, as spares. If carrying a G26, I carried G19 and/or G17 mags, as spares. I traded-away* my G19 Glocks, but when I did use them, my spare mags were usually G17 mags.

I tend to mistrust the +2 extensions.

When the panic-demic limited my access to live-fire training, I stopped carrying my Glocks. My revolver trigger-pulling skills are less-perishable.

*I traded-away my G19 pistols, because they started aggravating the arthritis in my right thumb, hand, and wrist. I sold my G26, too, but soon realized that a G26 was just too darn useful, at times, so I replaced it. I’ll only be shooting it lefty.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of papaac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rexster

*I traded-away my G19 pistols, because they started aggravating the arthritis in my right thumb, hand, and wrist. I sold my G26, too, but soon realized that a G26 was just too darn useful, at times, so I replaced it. I’ll only be shooting it lefty.

I, too have arthritis in my right hand, thumb and trigger finger, as well as my left hand. Mine is intermittent, and so far hasn't affected my shooting, other than trouble working the slide.

"Among a people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist." Edmund Burke

Posts: 4974 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A spare OEM of the same capacity make sense for me.

Bob

Posts: 1573 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post