SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Walther Q4 SF
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walther Q4 SF Login/Join 
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
Has anyone picked up a Q4 Steel Frame recently? I just bought one. Picking it up sometime this week.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3088 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had mine for almost two months. I appreciate it in an artistic sense and it feels rock-solid. It’s also heavy like a rock, maybe a small boulder. Not sure when a rock crosses into boulder territory in terms of weight. I knew it was heavy when I bought it - I’m not complaining. Just be aware that a Q4 SF with a full magazine feels like it weighs about as much as a lightweight AR.

I have the non-optics ready version, and the fact that it doesn’t use the same sights as a PPQ sucks. I love the Trijicon HDs on my PPQ and they would be equally awesome on the Q4 SF. The Q4 SF sights are fine, I just wish I had the option of putting on something else.

It shoots fine, and I agree that the trigger is a little different when compared to a PPQ. Not bad, but also not a revelation or anything.

I know it sounds like I’m underwhelmed by my Q4 SF, probably because I am a little. I think it’s beautiful, it’s built like a Rolls Royce and an Abrams tank had a baby, and the grip is just about perfect for me. The weight is great for strength training. The thing about the sights is annoying. The trigger is very good but not perfect. Thanks to the eye-watering price, I’m planning on shooting the bejesus out of it - maybe I can post a 5,000rd review someday.

Posts: 29 | Registered: September 09, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You say it sounds like you're a little underwhelmed with the Q4 SF, but your description says otherwise. If it's beautiful, built like a Rolls Royce and Abrams tank had a baby, and the grip is just about perfect, you hit a homerun! Have fun with it and we'll look forward to a 5000 round review.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
ArtVandelay, Thanks for the reply. I think you’re spot on. I picked mine up today and ran some rounds through it.

I agree it’s really nice in terms of fit and finish and the trigger isn’t bad at all but I’m a bit underwhelmed. I like the weight and feel in my hand. However, I just got home and compared it to my CZ Compact w/safety that’s had a Cajun Pro Kit installed and the ergonomics and trigger of the CZ feel a lot better to me. I know it’s an apples to oranges comparison but the Walther feels so much more bloated.

I was on Walther’s website and saw they now have a 30 money back guarantee. If you don’t like one of their guns they reimburse you what you paid for the gun and sales tax and return shipping for the gun. I’m not sure if this Walther stays or I get rid of it and get another CZ.

Edited to add: I thought these used the PPQ Sights. Thanks a major disappointment if they don’t. I really want some Trijicon HD’s.

Posts: 3088 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was aware of the money back guarantee, but I still decided to keep it. There are certainly several things I like about it, but I can’t say it’s the best thing I own either. I absolutely plan on shooting it a lot in the coming months, so my opinion may change with familiarity and experience.

Regarding the sights, the front sight may be a direct replacement with PPQ sights but the rear is definitely different. If you’re familiar with the PPQ rear sight, it’s crazy simple to replace - press down the detent, slide the rear sight off, swap the adjustment screw into the new rear sight and reverse. The adjustable rear is a nice feature of the PPQ. The Q4 doesn’t seem to have a place for the detent and spring, plus the dovetail appears to be a different size anyway.

Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
I called Walther and they said the Q4 Steel Frame takes sights made for the PPQ Subcompact, PPS M2, Creed, PPX.

I’m leaning towards keeping the gun. Love the workmanship.

posted Hide Post
If they gun feels a little bloated to you, check out LOK grips.

They make a few different shapes and textures including slimmer models.

A had the same issue when I got my Q5 SF. Compared to the polymer PPQs, it just felt bloated. LOK grips fixed that issue for me.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:

A had the same issue when I got my Q5 SF. Compared to the polymer PPQs, it just felt bloated. LOK grips fixed that issue for me.

I love Lok grips. Have a set of thin checkered G10 on my CZ compact so of course comparing it to that gun it looks far to me. WALTHER also said they’re coming out with thin aluminum grips soon and a new trigger.

posted Hide Post
Well this changes a lot for me. Call Walther...not sure that’s better than my method of eyeballing and speculation Roll Eyes

I’m ordering a set right now.

Thanks for calling Walther and sharing the info!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcowboyscr:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:

I love Lok grips. Have a set of thin checkered G10 on my CZ compact so of course comparing it to that gun it looks far to me. WALTHER also said they’re coming out with thin aluminum grips soon and a new trigger.

Yes. Walther is working on both of those things.

Their Meister Manufactur guns seems to already be sporting new triggers and grips.

It is great to see Walther continuing to refine and develop the gun. As many have mentioned, there is a very good base there in terms of fit, finish and overall quality.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
I’ve gotta say looking at the quality, fit and finish of this gun is impressive. I’ve been looking at the machining and it’s perfect. I haven’t seen this level of quality and attention to detail in quite a while.

Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know what lights will fit on this rail?

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The new RMR plate with the rear sight is now on pre-order with shipping in 2 weeks.

https://shop.waltherarms.com/q...sights-rmr-footprint

$149.99. A little too pricy since you'll probably throw away the .345 front sight for a Glock fiber optic or tritium front for self defense.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that price is a little steep. Hopefully the price comes down in time.

What I'd really like to see is Walther include this plate as standard on models where that would be appropriate.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Streamlight TLR7-A appears to be a good fit.

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/...ctical-light-review/

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
The Streamlight TLR7-A appears to be a good fit.

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/...ctical-light-review/
Thanks. I plan on picking a couple of those up.

Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
After much debate and running 500 rounds including 100 Speer Gold Dot 124 grain standard pressure JHP, I’ve decided to move on from the Q4 SF. I had a stove pipe and a failure to feed with the Gold Dots. In addition, shooting it side by side with my SIG P229 9mm weighing 32 oz (7.7 ounces less than the Walther) I felt the P229 was noticeably less snappy and recoiled smoother with less muzzle flip. Not that metal frame 9mm recoil much. Hard to explain it. The Q4 SF is definitely a work of art but I prefer the P229.

In addition, I was a little disappointed in the trigger also when comparing it to the $500 polymer framed PPQ. The PPQ had a noticeably lighter/crisper trigger with none of the gritty pretravel of the Q4 SF.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've had the opportunity to handle a Q4 SF. Beautiful pistol, but the trigger pull is most definitely inferior to either of my PPQs. Walther will soon be offering their Dynamic Peformance trigger which should be an improvement over the stock trigger, but a pistol with a 1300 dollar street price shouldn't need a 180 dollar replacement trigger.

Still, as you say, the Q4 SF is a work of art, and for the Walther collector, the pistol will find a home.

Trigger issues aside, I would never consider carrying a 40 ounce pistol when a comparable option is available, almost a pound lighter, and my PPQs have so far proven as reliable as my Glocks.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yes, I've had the opportunity to handle a Q4 SF. Beautiful pistol, but the trigger pull is most definitely inferior to either of my PPQs. Walther will soon be offering their Dynamic Peformance trigger which should be an improvement over the stock trigger, but a pistol with a 1300 dollar street price shouldn't need a 180 dollar replacement trigger.

Still, as you say, the Q4 SF is a work of art, and for the Walther collector, the pistol will find a home.

Trigger issues aside, I would never consider carrying a 40 ounce pistol when a comparable option is available, almost a pound lighter, and my PPQs have so far proven as reliable as my Glocks.

Overwatch Precision makes triggers for the PPQ family. A few of my PPQs are set up with their triggers and I cannot say enough good about them.

You are 100% right though. The SF series are higher end guns with a higher end price tag. They shouldn't need an aftermarket trigger.

What I'm hoping to see is Walther making their new Dynamic trigger standard on some of their competition oriented or higher end models.

LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
I don’t get it... Walther hit a home run with the PPQ and it’s outstanding trigger.

Then, they release their steel framed variants (which are supposedly premium pieces) and they give ‘em meh triggers.

I handled both the Q5SF as well as the new Q4. Both seemed like nice guns, but whereas I could see the Q5SF as being a solid range gun (if it had a trigger as good as a standard PPQ) the utility of the Q4 escapes me. It’s impractical as a carry piece and as a range gun I think the Q5SF has that pretty well covered. If I was planning to carry a Q4SF, I’d have to get the 4 point carry harness from the WA2000.

And NO... It’s NOT acceptable to have to pay extra to get an excellent trigger on a pistol that costs as much as these pistols do.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post