SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Walther Q4 SF
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walther Q4 SF Login/Join 
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted
Shout-out to MtCowboy for the heads-up on this upcoming release...

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Looks very cool, but I think they forgot to say "Game Changer"..? Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
Are the ridiculously heavy? I kinda Of want one. I had a PPQ before and liked it.

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Weighs about the same as a 1911.

What's interesting is that these PPQs (including the competition model which was introduced first) are the first commercially available standard production locked breech, steel frame, service pistol caliber Walthers since the Walther HP, which is the P38. Relatively few HPs were available on the commercial market in Germany during WWII. So, we're talking about 75 years.
Postwar, Wather has offered some steel frame P38s, but these have been either commemoratives, or scarce, special order models such as the "All Steel Classic" P38, along with the high polish blue steel P38s which have been available in the US in years past from Earl's Repair.

The standard postwar P38 had an alloy frame, as did the models which replaced the P38- the P88/88C and P5/5C, followed by the polymer era Walther service pistols beginning with the P99.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I might sell a P7 and buy one. I really like my polymer PPQ and you can obviously still get parts for them. Maybe I'll sell both my P7s and get a P210 too. We really live in a golden era for quality weapons.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What I'd like to see is a high polish blue model with walnut grips err grip.

And, of course, an M1 paddle release version would be too much to ask. Man, that would be sweet beyond sweet.

Finding the
sweet spot
posted Hide Post
quote:

And, of course, an M1 paddle release version would be too much to ask. Man, that would be sweet beyond sweet.

I couldn’t agree more. I love the paddle release on my P99AS, and I think the same on the Q4 would be ideal.
Sean

------------------------------------------
Just because you can, doesn't mean
you should.

Posts: 963 | Location: KCMO | Registered: September 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
...these PPQs (including the competition model which was introduced first) are the first commercially available standard production locked breech, service pistol caliber Walthers since the Walther HP, which is the P38.

There is something missing in this paragraph. HP,P38,P5 fully lock with a pivoting wedge, P88,P99 and PPQ are Browning/Webley, but they all have fully locked breeches as well.

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OTD, my statement is correct. All the pistols I mentioned are locked breech pistols. That their designs are not identical has no bearing on the point I was making. It wasn't necessary for me to delve into design specifics in order to make my point.

**edit**

Oh, I see. I left out something, yes, which is essential to the point I was making.
quote:
...these PPQs (including the competition model which was introduced first) are the first commercially available standard production locked breech, steel frame, service pistol caliber Walthers since the Walther HP, which is the P38.

SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
Yes, now I makes sense. That was the missing point. Wink

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thanks for pointing that out.

pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
What I'd like to see is a high polish blue model with walnut grips err grip.

Agree on all fronts. I’ve asked MtCowboy to inquire if a M1 version of the Q4 SF might be possible by Walther, while he’s at SHOT. If not and I like the new SF model enough, I just might contact Walther’s custom shop to see what they can do.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Facinating pistol. It is the only steel frame striker I've seen. Went to the tube and watched a few videos, one of it being machined. Very high quality piece of work. The model with the dot sight is addictive wearing tall metallics.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, it’s pretty much just a steel frame PPQ?

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Was the P88 alloy framed? I had thought steel it I guess I was incorrect.

An M1 version with the earlier Paddle design of the P99 would be damn near perfect for me. Yes to the nice Walnut grip as well.

I love the cyclical nature of things. Everybody is used to polymer......bring back steel to give them a “NEW” experience. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
So, it’s pretty much just a steel frame PPQ?

No, it’s not. The grip and what Walther refers to as a refined beaver tail are meant to improve comfort/handling over the PPQ. The takedown lever matches that of the Match version of the pistol. If you desire RMR optics, one version has adjustable sights on top of a removable plate. Of course, one could actually watch the imbedded video to find these out.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Was the P88 alloy framed?
Yes, alloy. You can get the PP-series Walthers in a steel frame all day long, but when it comes to service pistols, Walther has not had a regular production locked breech pistol in a steel frame since 1945.

Wouldn't it be something to have the rail removed, a high polish blue applied and nicely figured Walnut grips? Is it possible to blue Tenifer-treated steel?

Oooh, hard chrome. Cool

Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
Polished blue with walnut grips... now that would be cool. Kind of old school meets new. I’d buy one for sure!

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”
C.J. Supercut 1976

Posts: 524 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Facinating pistol. It is the only steel frame striker I've seen. Went to the tube and watched a few videos, one of it being machined. Very high quality piece of work. The model with the dot sight is addictive wearing tall metallics.

There were a number of steel striker-fired pistols made in the first half of the 20th century, but I don't think any of them were ever particularly popular and there aren't a lot of them still around seeing regular use.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This all steel Q4 is really has me wanting one. My 2020 wishlist is for other manufacturers to offer steel framed versions of their popular polymer framed pistols.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post