SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Walther Q4 SF
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walther Q4 SF Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
Then, they release their steel framed variants (which are supposedly premium pieces) and they give ‘em meh triggers.
Oh, the Q4 SF is a premium pistol. The one I handled was absolutely gorgeous. Aside from the grips err grip, trigger shoe, safety blade and sear housing, it's an all-metal pistol (discounting the follower and floorplate of the magazine). If one has ever examined P99/PPQ sear housing, the reason this is a molded part becomes apparent. The trigger shoe and safety blade are existing PPQ parts, and I think the designers at Walther felt that the Q4/Q5 would have the very same super-short and very light trigger pull as the P99 and PPQ. Certainly, though, there are some differences between the polymer and metal frames, and there must be some minor dimensional differences between the two frames which account for the slighty but noticeably inferior pull of the Q4. I don't think Walther "gave" the pistol its trigger pull- that is to say, the difference is not intentional.

I've no doubt that countless 1300 dollar 1911 pistols have had trigger work and/or fire control component upgrades performed/installed for/by their enthusiastic owners, and let's be honest- the stock trigger pull of the Q4 is still vastly better than any stock Glock ever made. It's just that the Q4 trigger seems like a gyp when compared to relatively inexpensive PPQ, which has the best stock trigger pull of any striker-fired pistol I've ever handled.

Who's to say how long the Q4 will be in production? While I don't anticipate it being discontinued any time soon, it may be that in, say, ten years, some shooters will be kicking themselves for not picking one up when they were available. And let's not forget that a significant percentage of Q4s may never see even the first round fired by their owners, which leads us back to its value as a collectible.

The Dynamic Performance trigger looks damn neat, but it's my undertsanding that in order for it to achieve its full potential, it requires a new, tunable sear housing which (it appears) is only going to be available if you send your pistol in to Walther. As others have pointed out, there are two or three vendors offering upgraded PPQ triggers, but if it were me, I'd want the Walther factory option.

I doubt Walther will at some point begin installing the DP trigger and tuned sear housing on Q4s going out the door, because they would end up with more than a few angry Q4 owners ringing their phone off the hook, demanding to have these parts fitted to their pistols retroactively and free of charge. Perhaps this is all calculated by Walther to entice Q4 owners to lay out even more cash than they have already, but I don't think that's the case, though it is a possibility. I think, though, there's little to complain about because a man buying a Q4 is not looking just for a shootable pistol. That already exists in the excellent PPQ.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually just picked up the Walther PPQ Q4 SF. It’s a beautiful gun, the trigger isn’t as nice as the PPQ trigger I remember but it’s still good.

I love quality, steel frame handguns and want to support Walther with my wallet on this one. A lot of talk about how it’s expensive for a striker fired gun, maybe so but it’s not that expensive for a quality steel frame pistol which is how I view it.

Oh and I would agree on future value. For those that said “I wish I bought X pistol back in the day”. This will be an “x pistol” for sure.

Posts: 28 | Registered: February 04, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of E_Rock81
posted Hide Post
Quick question for those lucky owners out there. Does it come with 2 or 3 mags? I see some sellers are listing it with 3 and some with 2 mags.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: July 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The Q5 Match SF and Q5 Match SF Pro come with three magazines. The Q4 SF comes wth two mags.

Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
Just picked this up today. I think it’s quite lovely. Heavy and sexy.

I have a PDP so decided to save a few hundred and not get the optics ready version. It came with three mags, mag loader, and test target.

I was looking for at P5 pistols lately but decided to get one of these for now instead, just because.

Thanks,
KPSquared

Posts: 805 | Location: Ft. Knox, KY | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
The mounting of the adjustable rear sight on the filler plate really takes away the option for those who dont want to mount a optical sight. Dove tailed into that plate makes me question how durable it might be. There needs to be another option for shooters who prefer black irons.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
The mounting of the adjustable rear sight on the filler plate really takes away the option for those who dont want to mount a optical sight. Dove tailed into that plate makes me question how durable it might be. There needs to be another option for shooters who prefer black irons.

There are two versions, optic ready and a standard that has the standard PPQ sights and no optic plate. That’s the version I have.

Thanks,
KPSquared

Posts: 805 | Location: Ft. Knox, KY | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Yes and yours is a very nice pistol. The optics ready model has the rear sight mounted in thd filler plate. Those sights are akin to target sights being black serrated rear blade anx black front post. The way they are mounted gives me concern. Were they dove tailed directly into the slide, that would be a nice option.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Who's to say how long the Q4 will be in production? While I don't anticipate it being discontinued any time soon, it may be that in, say, ten years, some shooters will be kicking themselves for not picking one up when they were available. And let's not forget that a significant percentage of Q4s may never see even the first round fired by their owners, which leads us back to its value as a collectible.

I was informed by the Walther Manufaktur shop (their E.U. custom shop) early this morning that the non-optics version of the Q4 SF is no longer in production & that the optics-ready model may soon be discontinued.

I visited the Carl Walther website an hour ago and while the Q4 Optics-ready model appears in their product selection, clicking on the product brings up a "Product Not Found" message so they may have made the decision to ditch the Q4 entirely.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK, so, three years and out.