SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Walther Q4 SF
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walther Q4 SF Login/Join 
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I imagine we'll see a non-competition longslide version.

My choice would be the following without the FCS:

quote:
What I'd like to see is a high polish blue model with walnut grips err grip.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
I imagine we'll see a non-competition longslide version.

That will be the Q3... or perhaps the Q6. Those pesky Germans will keep us guessing.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After watching the video's Para posted for us, I have to say that I really like this new Walther. The only negative thing about the pistol (for me at least) is the rail. It's not a deal breaker but are there any gunsmiths who remove rails and how costly would such work be?

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool gun. I have a PPQ Navy that I carry and I don't shoot competition currently so this would be a pass for me. I guess the only thing that was a head scratcher for me was... standard three-dots on a $1,000+ pistol? They couldn't at least throw a fiber optic on it for guys who don't want to run a red dot? I thought that was strange.

Posts: 2 | Registered: January 21, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
A very interesting family of pistols these steel framed Walthers, but does anyone else think they may have left a little too much of an edge on the frame where it meets the webbing of your hand? The PPQ while a great pistol is known for giving me "PPQ knuckle" and wearing a spot in my skin right next to my thumb knuckle after a couple of hundred rounds because the frame is so wide in that spot. It looks like they did try to contour that spot on the steel frame guns a bit more but will withhold judgement until I hear some hands on feedback and get to shoot one for myself. The price is a bit steep, but the execution and performance of the pistol will dictate if it is warranted.

They are nice looking pistols but would still much prefer the paddle style mag release.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These pistols look great and i would love to have one. Walther truns out quality, innovative stuff for the most part. Every once in a while its something nobody asks for, or is something they think somebody has asked for but its a little off. I am thinking of the CCP 1 when i write that last sentence.
Anyway, the biggest problem i predict we see with the Q4 is actually getting. Maybe this is my misconception but i feel like when Glock, Smith, Ruger etc.. announce a new pistol there is a brief period and then we are swimming in the new product.
Walther on the other hand, announces something and its either 10 months before i see them trickle out or its never.
This pistol will be a very fun shooter if we actually see it.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
I think you’re confusing Walther with Sig. Walther typically release products with 3-6 months from their announcement at SHOT. Sig on the other hand...

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I guess I just added a couple things to my list of stuff to buy. I carry a Glock 17 or 19X most of the time, but I love my PPQ M2. I guess I do need to add one of these (Q4SF and Q5SF) down the line.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I am a huge PPQ fan. I was super excited about the SF when it first came out last year and now the Q4 SF is so awesome. However, I am put off a bit by the price. I am not a cheap person by any means. However, I would think an appropriate amount would have been around $1000 rather than $1400 or $1500. This can be said about the new Alien pistol..$5000?! I rally like it but for $5000, I might just admire from afar.

Posts: 1348 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beanhead:
I am a huge PPQ fan. I was super excited about the SF when it first came out last year and now the Q4 SF is so awesome. However, I am put off a bit by the price. I am not a cheap person by any means. However, I would think an appropriate amount would have been around $1000 rather than $1400 or $1500. This can be said about the new Alien pistol..$5000?! I rally like it but for $5000, I might just admire from afar.

Nope.

If they need to charge $1400 or $1500 to deliver their level of German quality, I say just pony up and pay up. Otherwise, they'll end up doing what SIG did and start outsourcing critical internal components to some third world shit hole country and the end result will petty much be equivalent to a Taurus or Hi-Point.

We've already got an endless supply of consumer grade cookie cutter handguns on the market. It's refreshing to see the occasional factory gun with a modicum of quality and attention to detail.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I think these pistols are worth the asking price because they represent something special and unusual and appear to be very well done. The PPQ is a very fine pistol in its own right and I'm glad to see Walther give it this treatment.

Posts: 107466 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
The Q4 SF has apparently hit the shelves. Here's a new vid for those interested:

Not a fan of the aftermarket grips shown but each to his own. It looks like Walther did a nice job contouring the frame, even superior to that of the Q5.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Not my cup of tea, but it's well done, nevertheless.

Posts: 107466 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
If they can ever make a version that doesn't have a rear sight that's stuck on a plate, I'd buy one. I can rework my grip to keep me from using the slide release like a 1911 safety, but I'm not comfortable only using an optic sight even for competition.

One thing on the would be nice list is Walther making a longer magazine instead of sticking a +2 baseplate on the normal mag.

Posts: 4153 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Walther makes two versions of the Q4 SF, one with and one without the rear sight plate... explained in the very first post in this thread. Then there’s a video of a non-plate version that’s 2 posts above yours. Confused

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
But the one I'm looking for is one that can have an optic AND a rear sight at the same time. Just about everything I've seen for the Q4 or Q5 means I can run a rear sight or an optic, not both at the same time.

Unless that's changed recently or some one like CH Precision makes a custom plate that has a rear sight bolted or dovetailed into a plate, I'm not seeing it. Or is it something that's only available with an RMR plate?

Posts: 4153 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have the SFs in the shop. Impressive feel and balance in hand but surprisingly meh trigger action considering the relative pricing of the models. In handling the standard PPQ trigger feels sweeter, more precise. I initially had been tempted to give up my HIPAA rights (a WA state handgun-buying thing) over the smartly sized Q4 SF but I couldn't get over the notion of having to do additional trigger work just to make it as good as my pedestrian PPQ M1.

-MG

Posts: 1974 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The difference between the SF and triggers on the plastic models has been noted by others.

I believe it's a real thing.

That being said, triggers on both models break-in nicely and should be very clean with the SF trigger maybe breaking just a bit heavier.

Walther's new "Dynamic" trigger is supposed to be imminent. It remains to be seen if the Dynamic trigger will be sold pre-installed in the SF models or not. I'll be surprised if it's not at somepoint.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
But the one I'm looking for is one that can have an optic AND a rear sight at the same time. Just about everything I've seen for the Q4 or Q5 means I can run a rear sight or an optic, not both at the same time.

Unless that's changed recently or some one like CH Precision makes a custom plate that has a rear sight bolted or dovetailed into a plate, I'm not seeing it. Or is it something that's only available with an RMR plate?

Hello Dan. Walther will be releasing optics mounting plates with integral rear sights soon. Supposedly the release is imminent but you know how that goes.

This will be a great step in my view.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
That is good news. Now the wait is to see how much it costs.