SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    9mm 1911 Barrel Link #13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm 1911 Barrel Link #13 Login/Join 
posted
Hello- my 9mm 1911 seems to consider barrel links to be a consumable item. Is that normal? Is it an indication of a timing issue? the link pin seems to drift out a bit when firing. I can tell it is coming loose because of friction with the slide.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Definitely not normal. On the few 1911s I have owned, the link pin would have to be driven out with a punch.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I agree, definitely not normal. Some links will be an an interference fit with the barrel feet. Some will need a punch applied to each end to slightly expand the metal to keep the pin in place. The #13 is a very long link at .291", where standard is .278". You mention " consumable". Is the link being damaged or breaking? Do you see evidence of rounding of the barrel locking lugs or locking lug recesses in the slide? If so, sounds like a timing issue. Kuhnhausen's shop manuals cover the issue.

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once you get the correct length link, it should be staked on both sides. I use a little Loctite also.

Long links can cause all kinds of problems.

Posts: 141 | Registered: June 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post