SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Smith Brings back the 610 10mm
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smith Brings back the 610 10mm Login/Join 
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
What is the practical difference between the 10mm, 44mag, and the 41 mag in a 4" revolver? For 2 or 4 legged critters. For someone who does not reload.

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
What is the practical difference between the 10mm, 44mag, and the 41 mag in a 4" revolver? For 2 or 4 legged critters. For someone who does not reload.
Even though Factory ammunition offerings have doubled or tripled in the last 6-8 years for the 10MM Auto cartridge and the 41 Magnum has superior aerodynamics of the three.

Someone that does not reload is best off with the 44 Magnum

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I know that revolvers in auto calibers typically headspace on the case mouth even with using moon clips and that .40s would drop into the chambers too far without moon clips but couldn't you still use .40 reasonably well in a 10mm revolver if using moon clips?

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
I know that revolvers in auto calibers typically headspace on the case mouth even with using moon clips and that .40s would drop into the chambers too far without moon clips but could you still use .40 reasonably well in a 10mm revolver if using moon clips?
No, Smith and Wesson revolvers designed to fire rimless cartridges are intended to head space on the moon clip. Not sure about Rugers

It is true that probably 95% of Smith and Wessons will fire with the case mouth resting against the cylinder throat, but that is happenstance . . . not a design feature

I re-chamber all of my 10MM Auto revolvers to accept the 10MM Magnum cartridge. That way they care capable of firing the 10MM Magnum, 10MM Auto and 40 S&W cartridges

SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, Smith and Wesson revolvers designed to fire rimless cartridges are intended to head space on the moon clip. Not sure about Rugers

Don't know for sure about the other models, but that is the case with the blued 5" version when you're shooting .40 in it.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
SOME S&W 25/625 will headspace on the case mouth and will fire without clips. Some do not.

Neither my 625 or 325 will fire without clips.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Interesting and informative responses about the Smith. The Taurus Tracker .45 ACP I had some years ago definitely headspace on the case mouth as you could fire it with or without the moon clips and the clips were on the thinner side. I handled an SP101 9mm recently and noted pronounced, sharp shoulders in the chambers so it looks like the Rugers do too although appears the fit of the moon clip and shoulder are made to work together for a precise fit while still allowing it to being fired without the clips. If you have a cylinder chambered for a longer cartridge (10mm), it would make sense that it would headspace on the moon clip when using a shorter one regardless (.40), or in the cases where cylinders are custome cut for moon clips.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
Even though Factory ammunition offerings have doubled or tripled in the last 6-8 years for the 10MM Auto cartridge and the 41 Magnum has superior aerodynamics of the three.

Someone that does not reload is best off with the 44 Magnum

I am not sure why I would not prefer my N frame 8 shot 357s over a 10 mm 6 shooter. Always makes a difference if one handloads of course. And yes 38 special versus 40. I will look at them regardless cause I like revolvers.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:
I am not sure why I would not prefer my N frame 8 shot 357s over a 10 mm 6 shooter. Always makes a difference if one handloads of course. And yes 38 special versus 40. I will look at them regardless cause I like revolvers.
I am a HUGE fan of the 8 shot Model 27/327/627 family of 357 Magnum N-frames. I own the 27th production gun and the 357th production gun along with more than a dozen other examples of this leap forward in Magnum thinking

While holding less rounds, the 310/610 family of revolvers carries at least as powerful of a round or if you re-chamber from 10MM Auto to 10MM Magnum it carries a more powerful round, moon clips for rimless cartridges are MUCH thicker than moon clips for rimed cartridges, so reloads can be considerably faster with the 310/610 family of revolvers vs. the 27/327/627 family of revolvers

While I will probably never fire it, I need a 4" 610 to round things out. It is a shame they did not re-introduce the 5", that has a great feel

SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

posted Hide Post
My shooting buddy who passed away a couple years ago had a Model 57 and a 610, as well as dozens more S&W models. He always took these two to the range along with a finely tuned chubby (model unknown) I never mastered the chubby or the 57, but shot the 610 amazingly well. So well, I put it on my wish list.

I always wondered what happened to the 610 when he passed. His widow is in her 70's and has not been shooting in 15-20 years. His only son is in Maryland, so having guns is legally problematic and he would never just take a chance. So, I wonder.....

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doe anyone know if the cylinders on these new Model 610s are fluted or unfluted?

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:
I am a HUGE fan of the 8 shot Model 27/327/627 family of 357 Magnum N-frames. I own the 27th production gun and the 357th production gun along with more than a dozen other examples of this leap forward in Magnum thinking

While holding less rounds, the 310/610 family of revolvers carries at least as powerful of a round or if you re-chamber from 10MM Auto to 10MM Magnum it carries a more powerful round, moon clips for rimless cartridges are MUCH thicker than moon clips for rimed cartridges, so reloads can be considerably faster with the 310/610 family of revolvers vs. the 27/327/627 family of revolvers

While I will probably never fire it, I need a 4" 610 to round things out. It is a shame they did not re-introduce the 5", that has a great feel

Nice pictures and collection. I have 3 of the N frame 357 8 shots one a stubby that is my colder weather carry gun. I love them agree the 5 inch would make the 610 more appealing

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it’s time to reach out to her / them and inquire?
quote:
Originally posted by burnetma:
My shooting buddy who passed away a couple years ago had a Model 57 and a 610, as well as dozens more S&W models. He always took these two to the range along with a finely tuned chubby (model unknown) I never mastered the chubby or the 57, but shot the 610 amazingly well. So well, I put it on my wish list.

I always wondered what happened to the 610 when he passed. His widow is in her 70's and has not been shooting in 15-20 years. His only son is in Maryland, so having guns is legally problematic and he would never just take a chance. So, I wonder.....

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
Doe anyone know if the cylinders on these new Model 610s are fluted or unfluted?

Fluted, per the website. Both models are up now.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I just did a google search a bit ago and saw that they were indeed fluted. Thank Il Cattivo.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked for a 610 for years and it was like searching for a unicorn. I bought a Ruger Willey Clapp in 10mm. I never found a P220 SA/DA in 10mm either. The Smith and Wesson revolver lock is akin to a pimple on the prom queens nose. Embarrassing.

Posts: 102 | Location: N.E. Wyoming | Registered: May 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
In respect to the 10mm, I have both Glock 20 and SIG220 in 10mm as I love the round. What is the difference between a revolver in 10mm and semi auto in 10mm with recoil? Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGGUY (THE 1ST):
In respect to the 10mm, I have both Glock 20 and SIG220 in 10mm as I love the round. What is the difference between a revolver in 10mm and semi auto in 10mm with recoil? Thanks!

Depends a lot on the revolver design & barrel length. S&W N Frame with a long barrel is more of a smooth single impulse rise of the end of the barrel. Short barrel N Frame is more of a single impulse snap & twist. Semi-automatic pistols are kind of in between, but with a long or double impulse. The recoil impulse is only slightly hotter than 357 Magnum and a little less than 41 Magnum.
Regardless, 10mm is very manageable in a big frame revolver.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
I know that revolvers in auto calibers typically headspace on the case mouth even with using moon clips and that .40s would drop into the chambers too far without moon clips but couldn't you still use .40 reasonably well in a 10mm revolver if using moon clips?

Depends on the revolver. My 3" Ruger GP100 chambers on the case mouth. 10mm can be fired without moon clips, extraction is a PITA. It will fire 40S&W with the Ruger moon clips.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of larry starling
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I won’t be excited until Smith brings back all steel autos
Exactly how I feel!!!

P-220R, SP2340
P-225 , SP2022
P-226 , P-239 X2
P-228 , GSR
P-229R, p-228R
p-220 carry
P-6,P-228R

Posts: 138 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: July 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post