SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Pistol accuracy/shootability for me (1911 content)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistol accuracy/shootability for me (1911 content) Login/Join 
posted
Kinda thinking out loud on this but I'll try to keep it tight. I shoot pistols for avocational and vocational reasons, own several different makes/models (SIG P229 in 9mm is my all time fave) but am issued Glock 22 Gen 4 at work. Purchased a 1911 'while back (Springfield R.O. that's now SuperBlack'd and VZ'd) and, try as I may, I just CANNOT shoot any pistol more accurately than this 1911.

AND, I hardly if ever shoot my 1911...but regardless of how disgustingly little I practice with it, that once-a-year-or-so that I take it to the range, I'm shooting approximately 50% more accurately at any/every distance and speed with it than my duty weapon or even my beloved SIGs in DA/SA.

AND AND, even with my new VZ grips this 1911 isn't nearly as comfortable in my hand as my glorious P229, which makes me even more perplexed and how well I seem to shoot the 1911.

Point in all this....have any of you found a pistol that you can shoot as consistently and accurately as a "good" 1911? If so, I'll consider that I just need to work harder with my other pistols. Otherwise, I just may give in and head down the rabbit hole of 1911.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a lot to be said for a good single action trigger that's easy to press straight to the rear.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
I think the 1911's substantial weight, slim grip girth and light trigger make it easy for literally anyone to shoot accurately.

Closest I've come to my level of accuracy with a 1911 is with my G34, which ironically is sized to be as close as it can to a full size 1911. Probably as good or better with a 92FS as well, but don't employ it for practical reasons.

I think you're gonna get two distinct thought processes on this. People will either be in the camp of 'train enough and you can shoot anything just as well' or you'll get the camp of 'some guns just don't work for some people'. I used to be in the second camp, but am now firmly in the first camp. I really believe that if you train enough and keep an open mind (i.e. not getting distracted by thoughts of 'it just doesn't work for me') you can shoot anything very well. It's a matter of being willing to put in the training time to get to and maintain that level.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
does small bore count?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Springfield RO is a reasonably nice fitted weapon, quality sights backed up by a deceant trigger break. That cant be said for all 1911 pistols as some need several mods to make them more user friendly.

If you ever throw lead target loads into its chamber, you will see how accurate it truly is. That pistol is a laser with target loads.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot can be said for finding the right/best sights for your particular eyeballs.

Posts: 492 | Location: Accross the Mississippi from St. Louis | Registered: February 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just because a gun feels best in the hand does not always equal what you shoot best. And yes the ergonomics of the 1911 especially the trigger are what make it still such a popular platform and one so many shoot so well.
I myself shoot revolvers very well glocks ok and have never mastered the 1911.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wetwilly:
A lot can be said for finding the right/best sights for your particular eyeballs.

That may be the key to this. Additional info: I put a set of Ameriglo Defoor sights on my work gun and got that sighted in today, and there was a significant increase in accuracy within 15 yards. However, my 1911 still beats it out. That said, yes, I believe the black/black serrated target sights on the 1911 are "better" for me, and the larger light bars on the Defoor set allow for a good mix of speed and accuracy.

Single action trigger...yeah, I can't deny that's a factor.

Train hard enough with whatever and you'll get good...absolutely. However, the question is whether or not I'll get to the same level as this 1911 shoots. I suppose I'll have to spend ammo and range time to find out.

The Glock 34....now that's interesting...I've heard that's a good one overall. I may have to read up on that, being as I operate in the Glock world at work.

What feels best in the hand isn't necessarily what you shoot well...that may be true. I always thought a good fit in hand with a quality weapon lends itself to inherently better accuracy (all else equal) than a bad fit in hands. Perhaps I've over-generalized.

Thanks for the input, all. Much appreciated. Now I have some homework to do.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
Point in all this....have any of you found a pistol that you can shoot as consistently and accurately as a "good" 1911?

I have not. Of the many pistols I have owned the 1911s consistently shoot the most accurately in my hands. Not to say I can't shoot other designs well, but the 1911s work best for me.

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 954 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
I shoot my P229 on par with my 1911 at most distances. BUT if I run the target all the way down range at most indoor ranges, I will hit the target every time with the 1911 but will miss at least a couple times with any other pistol. The 1911 is just that much better.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another factor for the 1911:
100+ years of development and steady improvement in manufacture, sights, ammo and triggers.
I wonder what JMB would say if he knew the evolution of his design.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ranger41:
quote:
Point in all this....have any of you found a pistol that you can shoot as consistently and accurately as a "good" 1911?

I have not. Of the many pistols I have owned the 1911s consistently shoot the most accurately in my hands. Not to say I can't shoot other designs well, but the 1911s work best for me.

I shoot a good double action revolver like my smith model 15 better than a 1911 by just a little bit. Then again I shoot revolvers more than anything and am most comfortable with them

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ranger41:
quote:

For me, I can shoot my CZ Accu-Shadow slightly better than my standard 1911's. I do have an STI 2011 DVC LTD, however that is lights out.

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
I think what influences my shooting is how much I like and am comfortable with what I'm shooting. I have a S&W Model 19 w/4" barrel that I can shoot my most impressive scores with. Next favorite is my P220 then my 1911 Springfield. Last is my LC9. I've never enjoyed shooting that particular weapon and can't give a solid reason for that. I do know that past 10-12 feet I suck badly with it. And your results may vary as this is only my opinion as far as myself goes.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
There's a lot to be said for a good single action trigger that's easy to press straight to the rear.

I agree with this as the main reason most people find a 1911 surprisingly easy to shoot well.

Posts: 987 | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I usually find 1911s Meh.. and very I don't know.. underwhelming.

I went with a friend of a friend to the range one day. Asked me if I wanted to shoot his 1911. I shrugged and said sure. Slammed a magazine in it. Flipped the safety and put the whole magazine in one jagged hole.

After I picked my jaw up off the floor realized it was a Les Baer Custom. No wonder. I probably shot that pistol better that day than any other pistol I've ever picked up.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Pretty much the same thing happened with shooting and the 1911 evolution. After the purchase of my first one and shooting it, I was hooked. Basically sold off all my HK, Sigs and others to pick up a few choice 1911's and have been hooked since. The only changes was experimenting with fiber optic and gold bead sights on them. I did keep my p228 and python, but all else was poured into the few 1911's I've kept. Additionally, in the beginning, I wasn't a fan of the .45 just in general without trying the caliber. Whenever shooting at the range next to my friend, I didn't care for the perceived discharge and snappy recoil, but I couldn't have been more wrong. My .40 cal pistols were by far more snappy of a recoil. The .45 shot very smooth by my comparisons. After shooting it I was completely surprised to find I actually loved the round and shot much better than I ever imagined, especially having very little recoil.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I have SAO Sigs that I shoot as well as my 1911s. A 220 SAO that Robert Burke worked on the action rivals my 1911s and my Sig 210. The only other gun that I shoot as well without practice is my HK P7.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over a fifty year period, the 1911 and P320C 9mm are the only two platforms I can call "natural shooters". All that's needed is proper application of fundamentals. No "adjustments" needed.

Nearly immune to small errors in technique. Performance not correlated with how much I've shot them.

I shoot all of my other platforms well, it just takes more work.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
My dad's Ed Browns did the same. I can also shoot the CZ 75 Shadow SA and P226 Legion SAO really well. I have finally put down the DA/SA guns and am focusing on SAO and P320 platforms. I can shoot my DA/SA P226 very well but slower on the first shot and not as well one handed. Even with a trigger job my DA is 10lbs and I don't train enough to keep the sights from moving a bit on a non dominant hand pull.

Training as often as possible!
NSSF Media Member

Posts: 1577 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: May 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post