SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New-ish bolt pattern for RDS on recent P320 X Full
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New-ish bolt pattern for RDS on recent P320 X Full Login/Join 
posted
I thought I’d add to the available info about the ever evolving Sig P320 optics cuts.

A borrowed picture shows what lurks under the cover plates on four of the P320 iterations so far.

On the P320 X Full model I received a couple days ago there is what they are calling the XRAY 3 W/R2 NS PLATE (revision 2 night sight plate??) in the coding on the case, which shows a Built-On Date of 11/2/20…so it’s very recent, maybe even the Latest and Greatest…

The rear sight is held on by the two through-screws from the bottom that hold down the plate. So you lose the rear sight when you remove the plate.

I’ve heard this bolt pattern makes it more Trijicon RMR-friendly, can anyone confirm this?

I plan on putting an RMR on this pistol soon and would like to understand my options for plates, back-up sight position (behind/in front), etc.

Though the threaded holes seem an aid to using the RMR, I’d think that you’d still need something with positioning studs to really anchor the RMR (or any RDS.)

I’m leaning toward something like Springer Precision ‘Cowitness Optics Mount’, as I think I'd like the rear sight to live in front of the RMR:

Springer cowitness plate

Would that work, or does anyone have a suggestion on what would be optimal?

Thanks!

Commo
PS: yes, the LCI spring got sideways but I fixed it before I buttoned it up…

Posts: 31 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: January 31, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Hominy grits!
I’m surprised that I’ve seen no complaints about the impossibility of knowing which optical sight(s) will fit a particular P320.

(And what does “DPP” mean?)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’d think that you’d still need something with positioning studs to really anchor the RMR

why? do you see anything like that for any of the other mounts in that picture? just RMR's need that?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
(And what does “DPP” mean?)
DeltaPoint Pro

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
do you see anything like that for any of the other mounts in that picture? just RMR's need that?

hrcjon: Of course I see no studs on the slides but on virtually every plate offered by C&HPWS, Bobro & Springer Precision and Trijicon there are studs on the RMR plates..not necessary? Thanks!

Sigfreund: Grits for sure...DPP is Delta Point Pro, so in one of the captions they're calling it the Delta Point Pro Pro...

More thoughts welcome!

Commo

Posts: 31 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: January 31, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
they're calling it the Delta Point Pro Pro...

But that second 'Pro' pertains to what they're calling the slide doesn't it...never mind...

Commo

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Commo:
DPP is Delta Point Pro, so in one of the captions they're calling it the Delta Point Pro Pro...

Sort of what I guessed, but appreciate the confirmation.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a hot mess. I ended up with a Sig Pro cut (?) slide for the DPP. RMR’s have holes for studs so I’m in the category that I want studs for RMR mounting. Besides which there is no way the studs can’t add a serious lot of stability by removing strain from the screws alone holding the optic in addition to just being a stronger solution.

Never liked a plate that when removed also removes the rear sight

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hot mess or progress, or both...explains why I'm confused about best way(s) to mount an RMR to the slide I received..any thoughts welcome..I would like BUIS, and in front of the RDS appeals to me..

Thanks!

Commo

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Commo,

posted Hide Post
I've milled now about 30-40slides for an RMR. all kinds of different ideas on what is best by the people that do it. Studs as probably Trijicon intended, slots the just fits an specific RMR *(I hate that since on occasion you want to swap) and the two screws. With tens and tens of thousands of rounds across that spectrum I have never had a problem that was mounting style related. Loaded in sheer they are probably not seriously challenged.
FWIW> I don't worry about it at this point.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
FWIW> I don't worry about it at this point.

Words of wisdom...thank you..

Commo

posted Hide Post
Nice thing about this is if you do get an RMR plate with BUIS and studs from Springer or Bobro, you can use longer screws to go all the way through the plate and into the slide. Might have to ream out the holes in the plate but that's not a big deal.

This would be MUCH more solid than using the small screws to hold the plate from underneath, then get only the plate thickness of thread for the top mount sight screws.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like the mounting pad is not flat. Looks like they forgot to machine the ridge down the middle.
Maybe it is just the picture.
The mounting pad needs to be flat if you direct mount or use a plate.

Jsnac

Posts: 402 | Location: NH | Registered: March 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe it is just the picture.
The mounting pad needs to be flat if you direct mount or use a plate.

I think it's just the picture..

Commo

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
I’d think that you’d still need something with positioning studs to really anchor the RMR

why? do you see anything like that for any of the other mounts in that picture? just RMR's need that?

The why is because running any MRDS without some type of stud to handle the shearing force created by the reciprocating of the slide is just a bad idea. Without a stud, the mounting screws take all of that force which is something they are not designed for. There have been plenty of reports from people who have had their MRDS fall off their gun because the screws sheared off.

Posts: 71 | Location: Northern KY | Registered: January 07, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SIG is still a relative newbie at this optics thingy. At some point they might figure it out so that oopsies like the Romeo1/1PRO slide cut incompatibility won't hopefully happen too often down the road. Then again it's STILL rush-to-market-yesterday SIG NH, despite how many talented folk they may have pinched from others along the way. Getting ahead of themselves and failing to get out of the way of their past shortcomings is A THING with this company. Dead-ending stuff in rather annoying short-order also happens quite often with them as well. Chalk it up to learning(?)...I guess...even though it's maddening and infuriating and at their customers' expense.

As tempting as some of their new-found ideas are, it's always best to allow their designs to sit a spell so others can realize all of the shortcomings and lose their proverbial shirts when SIG invariably backpedals and goes in other directions. Being an early adopter definitely has its risks, especially true when it comes to SIG products.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
SIG is still a relative newbie at this optics thingy.

I had this conversation on another site about this... IMO, its not just Sig. The pistol mounted MRDS thing in generally is still in its infancy and everyone is still trying to figure out.

At some point, the optics and firearms manufactures will need to come together and come up with a mounting standard. It may be the Military that has to drive it (basically a standard spec like the MIL-STD-1913 picatinny rail spec) so that an end user can buy whatever sight or pistol they want and it just fits with no adaptors or other nonsense.

That is the only way IMO that an MRDS on every pistol becomes the norm.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: airgunner,

Posts: 71 | Location: Northern KY | Registered: January 07, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
At some point, the optics and firearms manufactures will need to come together and come up with a mounting standard.

That would be fantastic and it will take a military spec to make it happen..

Posts: 23241 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post