SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thoroughly Impressed w/ Quality, Fit, & Finish
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoroughly Impressed w/ Quality, Fit, & Finish Login/Join 
posted
Not to mention, I’m impressed with the site, too!

I’ve enjoyed reading the shared information here.
Since I just got my new-to-me P229, SN AE 37 4xx (vintage 1995) I detail-cleaned it, including the mags. Reading the posts regarding lubrication (oil vs. grease) I applied some grease I keep in my cleaning kit: Phil’s Waterproof Grease, sold in bicycle shops.

Anyway, I’m very impressed with how tight the frame-to-slide fit is. I almost can’t believe this has been shot a lot, although I suspect it has due to the blueing loss on the hi-cap mags and numerous dings in floor plates.

Former US Army, Sgt., 82nd Abn. Div. Paratrooper,
Infantryman, (81mm Mortars) Certified Armorer

Love God, Country, & Family

Posts: 89 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice firearm! A ~2007 p229 was my first pistol and probably the best shooter I ever had, awesome trigger, tight fit, etc. Wish I still had it, but I moved on to Glocks and more rifles than pistols.

-Miller

Posts: 379 | Location: Shenandoah Valley - VA | Registered: February 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Congratulations that pistol appears almost new! I've never owned or even shot a P229 before.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Extremely nice old P229! And, the mags may not be original to the gun. The seller could have swapped out the mags with others so he could keep the nicer ones. Looking at the smiles on the barrel, it does not appear to have been shot much.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1311 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
That's a clean one. I've owned several, but the 229s of that vintage are favorites of mine due to the snug fit of barrel/slide/frame,etc. Due to Clinton's 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and magazine restrictions, your gun would likely have shipped originally with the 10-round magazines. One of my current 229s, a 1995 gun with AE prefix like yours, came with the 10-rounders.

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Well, it's nice to know I'm not the only person who uses bicycle grease to lube his guns.

I agree w/ Tooky13. Judging by the barrel wear, I'd say it has mabye 500 rds max through the pipe.

What caliber is it? If you're in the market for extra mags, hit me up at my email in my profile.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Certainly one of the best products made by Sig, when quality was paramount.

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Nice score.

My triple serial numbered AB will never leave my possession and should serve my family long after I'm gone.

Good luck with it.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all!

It’s a .40 -my first.

I don’t have anything in .357 SIG so, I’ll definitely be ordering a barrel, once I have the funds.

I traded a very nice (but not useful to me) Remington Model 700 BDL w/scope. He was happy and I was happy, so it was a great transaction.

The almost-new 10-rd mag is dated 5/95; the other 3 magazines have dates from 1996.

Posts: 89 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice looking classic P229!

The one thing I will suggest is see if you can track down a FPPP (firing pin positioning pin) or 2-3. They changed the style and size a bit. And they're one use parts, if you ever have to change the firing pin, you have to use a new FPPP.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
That's a good looking 229 Bill. The smile on the barrel shows it's been shot a little but it's still in very good condition.

I love it when 2 people trade and both are happy. BTW, welcome to the forum. Hopefully this won't be your last Sig.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of us..... One of us....

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Nice looking gun. Enjoy it.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
In regards to the 357 Sig barrel, look for a used one as they are often for sale. I found one in our own classifieds of course.
Good luck again and thank you for your service.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whododat:
In regards to the 357 Sig barrel, look for a used one as they are often for sale. I found one in our own classifieds of course.
Good luck again and thank you for your service.

Yes, sir!
Thank you for that suggestion!

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a classic - I’ve never owned a P229 but shot a good number that belonged to friends, they are THE compact 40/357 IMO.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post