SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New S&W M&P Shield 45 Rear sight way off to the left from the factory?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New S&W M&P Shield 45 Rear sight way off to the left from the factory? Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted
Picked up an M&P Shield 45 yesterday for a smaller, slimmer, and lighter EDC for those light tshirt days. It's brand new, NIB, with night sights from the factory.

I didn't notice it when I was looking at the gun at the gun counter (purchased at Sportsman's Warehouse), but when I got home I noticed pretty quickly that the rear sight is off center. I mean damn, it's way off center. My wife has a Shield 9mm and its sights look perfect. Did I just get a fluke or has this been an issue with S&W?

I'm not even going to bother taking it back or contacting S&W to fix it; I'm just going to drift the sight over myself. It's just annoying to have a brand new pistol with a sight that out of whack. The front sight looks fine.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Friday gun. Someone was in a hurry to leave.
Never had a problem with the 2 Shields I had.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
My wife's shield has been flawless. It's one of the reasons I pulled the trigger on the .45. Pardon the pun.

I'll hopefully have it at the range later this week.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It looks off, but not way way off. I'd shoot it first. It might surprise you and hit point of aim. I'm very leery of striking a night sight with a punch.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
It looks off, but not way way off. I'd shoot it first. It might surprise you and hit point of aim. I'm very leery of striking a night sight with a punch.

all of the factory m&p sights i have encountered are finger driftable after backing out the set screw.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
quote:

all of the m&p sights i have encountered are finger driftable after backing out the set screw.

I tried my darndest but couldn't get it to budge. I ended up ordering a pusher. I figured it'd be good for both shields.

Perhaps I'll shoot it first. We'll see

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
quote:

all of the m&p sights i have encountered are finger driftable after backing out the set screw.

I tried my darndest but couldn't get it to budge. I ended up ordering a pusher. I figured it'd be good for both shields.

Perhaps I'll shoot it first. We'll see

Wow. you backed out the set screw(s)?

I've probably had 4 M&P's and a couple of shields. I've never needed a punch to remove one. They have all had the plain 3 dot sights though, maybe the night sights are fit tighter.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wow. you backed out the set screw(s)?

I've probably had 4 M&P's and a couple of shields. I've never needed a punch to remove one. They have all had the plain 3 dot sights though, maybe the night sights are fit tighter.

It is dovetailed if that makes any difference.

And yes, I even completely removed the set screw to be sure. I'll give it another try later today.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Most Shield sights were a bitch to move. This is common. This is true for the regular sights but don't know about the night sights.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2402 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I've got a better monitor (my personal one at home) and lighting to look at it now. It does look way way off.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
For the heck of it I just looke this up on Bud's to see what they were going for (I'm actually looking at the 9mm version right now) and one of the reviews for the M2.0 in 45 (model 11726) says the sights were misaligned...to the left. Maybe Smith had a batch escape like this.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
This must be a fairly recent issue.

I've had my PC Shield .45 for a while now and it was good to go from the start.

It always surprises me how many folks don't take all that much time to examine a newly purchased firearm while they're still at the gun shop to catch any faults, especially glaring/easy to spot issues such as the one with the OP's pistol.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's probably a good idea to try it at the range before tinkering with the sight. Maybe fired at plant and moved the sight for cause.

Posts: 248 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: August 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple MP’s and a Shield. If you can move the rear sight with your fingers with the set screw backed off that is jacked up. Personally, if you aren’t exaggerating I would call S&W on that. The set screw is insurance, it isn’t what should hold it in place. IMO. Never owned a gun that I could drift it with my fingers. Ever. Any manufacturer.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Using the pusher I was able to drift the sight over to center (as best as I can tell anyway). Man, that sucker was tight. No way I was moving that sight any other way.

I haven't shot the pistol yet, but I have no doubt that all rounds would've been left of target with the original setting. Using my laser bore sighter, I could see that plain as day. Now it looks dead on, but I won't know for sure until I shoot it.

Thanks for all the replies.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Had the gun at the range yesterday and am pretty happy with it. Put 125 rounds through it flawlessly. As far as the sights, they're perfect now (or at least to the extent of my ability).

Below is 24 rounds at 8 yards. That's decent enough for me. By the way, those two little guys down low? I wouldn't worry about those little guys.

Great little gun.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)