SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Searching for black torx grip screws for my P228
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Searching for black torx grip screws for my P228 Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted
I have found the hex and slotted head screws. TJs and hogue and the ones in amazon that are all fancy but most reviews say they are too long. I have used the google to no avail.

So, I’m hoping my friends here can help point me in the right direction for these. I want black torx head grip screws. I hope for black stainless.

Thank you in advance.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thank you but those are hex head. There are some torx but those are 1911 screws.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Well, now I just found these Titanium grip screws

posted Hide Post
Would the ones for a 229/357 be the same size?

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I would think so. The grips seem to be the same regardless of caliber.

quote:
Originally posted by Watergoat:
Would the ones for a 229/357 be the same size?

Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I've had a lot of luck gettinmg grip screws of all types from ... Amazon, of all places.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I like the titanium ones but I am having a hard time paying almost $10 for shipping for four screws. I guess I'll get over it.

posted Hide Post
From under the head to the start of the thread what is the measurement you have of your existing screws?

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I will have to check when I get home.

quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
From under the head to the start of the thread what is the measurement you have of your existing screws?

Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
On my caliper it looked like .13” approximately

Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Why not just buy Hogue hex head?

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bob ramberg
posted Hide Post
I've been looking for Torx Head grip screws for my P226 and I have had no luck finding them. I called Sig and also checked the all usual suspects. I found the right diameter and thread pitch at a specialty bolt dealer but they are about an inch too long. I may try to cut them down. The three existing screws that I have left are very short, 0.130" sounds right.

Bob
Carpe Scrotum

Posts: 1366 | Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Madiganistan | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I have some Hogue extreme black hex head installed now but I find the heads still strip out easily.

quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:
Why not just buy Hogue hex head?

Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Are they the new version? I was thinking of picking some of these up.

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
I have some Hogue extreme black hex head installed now but I find the heads still strip out easily.

Grip screws are generally torqued to ~15 in-lbs. I don't follow how you could be stripping them out unless you're just way over torquing them more than needed or you need a new tool / bit. Proper torque along with VC3 or Loctite Blue and I've never had a grip screw come loose yet.

Posts: 351 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I believe so.

quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:
Are they the new version? I was thinking of picking some of these up.

Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I get them snug then get em a smidge tighter. Perhaps my tool is not the perfect size but it feels like it is when I first start tightening. With torx, I won’t have any issue with the head.

quote:
Originally posted by ah3:
quote:

Grip screws are generally torqued to ~15 in-lbs. I don't follow how you could be stripping them out unless you're just way over torquing them more than needed or you need a new tool / bit. Proper torque along with VC3 or Loctite Blue and I've never had a grip screw come loose yet.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, I get them snug then get em a smidge tighter. Perhaps my tool is not the perfect size but it feels like it is when I first start tightening. With torx, I won’t have any issue with the head.

I have found sometimes with hex head fasteners, the tool will insert just enough to turn the screw, but not all the way to the bottom where it belongs. This leads to early destruction of the hex hole. Making sure the tool is properly inserted (sometimes turning it so the hex faces are in a different position helps), torquing properly (it is not much torque), and using purple loctite (low strength), has helped me use hex heads successfully, without messing up the head and without grips coming loose, ever. Torx is a more secure fit and looks neater, and so is Robertson (square drive), but they don't seem to make grip screws with square drive that I've seen. The important thing with any type driver is proper torque and a gentle use of loctite, and you won't have screwed up screw heads. Even slotted screws with a proper bit (Chapman) works well with this method.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
This thread has convinced me to stick with OEM slotted grip screws when I get some Hogue G10's.