SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My first P225: very excited! (lots of pics; dialup beware)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first P225: very excited! (lots of pics; dialup beware) Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
I've literally been waiting 30 years to own one of these. I'll tell the story here because some might appreciate it. When I was 13 or 14 I used to send out to every gun company and distributor for catalogs (remember those?) because I loved to read and peruse photos and drool over guns. One of them, and I'm not sure what it was but in my memory it may have been a Dillon catalog (but was probably a SIG brochure... I can't find it in my collection of detritus and doubt I ever will), had a photograph of this incredibly purposeful, evil-looking, sexy pistol, the likes of which I'd never seen before. It was a P225 and I stared at and studied that trigger and trigger guard for hours. Okay, I admit it, I'm weird. But the design was (and remains) fascinating to me.

I'd never heard of SIG-Sauer and had no idea even what to call it. It seemed so... foreign from the antique colts, bolt action deer rifles, and Smith & Wesson revolvers that were my dad's guns of choice. This is the first firearm that I remember ever lusting after. I had no idea how or where to acquire one; I just knew I wanted one. Even if only to hold and look at.

Well the recent release of some "Police trade-in" P225s from Sportsman's outdoor warehouse for a semi-reasonable price was the impetus I needed. I have almost no spending money and I will have to donate plasma and brown-bag lunch for a few months to pay for it but after picking up the pistol, examining, and shooting it yesterday, I know I did the right thing. It is immensely satisfying to behold, and to hold. It isn't perfect, but no great love ever is.

Minor nits:
There is a small amount of wear on the top and front corners of the slide but overall the upper looks very good. The barrel has the SIG smiley wear and the bluing is worn off the top of the hood, and judging by the rest of the pistol, I wonder if perhaps it was swapped with another at some point, but I suppose the pistol was likely just well cared for. The frame looks nearly flawless, with a small amount of rubbing along the front right flat, a small scratch in the left rail groove, and some wear around the magwell. There is a tiny amount of discoloration, which may have been the beginning of rust, on the takedown lever flat, inside, and the bottoms of the mags have some small amounts of rust. Both mags have Pachmayr basepads which I actually appreciate, as I have large hands and inserting the mags fully would otherwise require the use of a thumb.

The mag baseplates extend forward of the frontstrap and interfere somewhat with my pinky (as I said I have XL hands) and make me wish I could grind them back... does anyone offer replacement baseplates with a shorter front lip?

The only remaining ergonomic complaint is a strange and unexpected one: the triangular hump on the left grip panel below the decocking groove bothers my right middle finger when I wrap around aggressively. I note that the G10 and aluminum grips offered for this model don't have this hump and I suppose I may eventually purchase a set, though I strongly prefer the aesthetics of the original grips.

I shot 8 mags worth of 124 ball through it and hit nearly every shot... the sights are worn-out 3-dot night sights which I don't prefer and they may hit to a slightly different POI than my other SIGs, but I'll figure it out. In any case, hits were easy and repetitive.

The trigger was a very nice surprise. The DA is smooth and no heavier than my very nice, well-broken-in German P226, as opposed to somewhat gritty and stiff like my less-used, older German P220 (which has gotten better but still isn't stellar), and the SA break is as good as my German P226, which is saying something, and the reset is shorter. I haven't checked to see if it has the SRT guts but I doubt it... it simply has a great trigger. I also like that the trigger has no grooves its face. Recoil is negligible, the grip (other than the mag baseplate) fits my hand like a glove, and all the controls fall easily to hand. I reeeeeally like this pistol.

Pics follow; any gunk you see on the rails is gunk, not wear, with the exception of the aforementioned scratch.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3209 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Ugh, I apologize for the orientation of the images... it seems Photobucket just randomly decides to rotate half of the images you upload and edit. They are correctly oriented in my photobucket folder.

Ah well. You get the idea anyway.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
That is a nice looking '95!

quote:
I note that the G10 and aluminum grips offered for this model don't have this hump and I suppose I may eventually purchase a set, though I strongly prefer the aesthetics of the original grips.

Take a look at these if you haven't already. They're expensive, and all I can tell you from experience is that the 220 versions are great, but aesthetically they're a pretty good match for the factory originals.

http://www.hogueinc.com/store/...kered-g10-black/6161.

BTW, keep an eye out for mags. I'm not sure what the supply is like now, but they've come and gone and gone up and down in price in the past.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pistol 1K. The 225 is hands down my favorite pistol I own. Mine is a 1982 vintage and it's pretty worn but the wear makes it even more pleasing to me.
Congrats.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bashman
posted Hide Post
Someone here on the forum makes and sells replacement base pads for the magazines that are flush with the front of the frame. I can't remember his SN, but I'll try to find the thread in the classifieds.

ETA: his SN is BDavis

A man who does not read has no appreciable advantage over the man who cannot read.

Posts: 1192 | Location: Charlotte | Registered: July 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got one from there too. Could pass if the deal!!! Like you I fell in love with it when I was a kid. Check the serial number on the left side of chamber to see if it belongs to your slide and frame or to see if it is a replacement.

You can grind the baseplate down. I have done it before since I have the same issue as you do with your pinky. There is a member here, bdavis, I think that makes a nice shortened "lip" baseplate. I was in email contact with him a couple weeks ago. He hasn't made any in a while but, might be gearing up for another run. I asked him for 4 if he decides to make them.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bashman:
Someone here on the forum makes and sells replacement base pads for the magazines that are flush with the front of the frame. I can't remember his SN, but I'll try to find the thread in the classifieds.

ETA: his SN is BDavis
many thanks!

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
Check the serial number on the left side of chamber to see if it belongs to your slide and frame or to see if it is a replacement.

Yep, it matches. Thanks for the heads-up to look there. I assumed it would be on the right side like some other pistols.

teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have a P6 and it is one of my favorite pistols.

Posts: 5619 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is my P225; a 1998 model that I purchased directly from Sig, as a new, un-issued police turn in. It sports a new set of Hogue aluminum grips and new night sights. I have carried it from time to time over the years, and think I need to get it out of the safe and strap it on for tomorrows CCW. Surprising, since I purchased this, I don't think I have fired more than 300 or so rounds through it. It has been flawless and accurate with a wide variety of ammo.
(IMG) (IMG)
I also recently purchased the "New" P225-A1, and like it as well, but you really can't beat the original P225.....What do they say about a copy? It is the best form of flattery?
From time to time I am tempted to sell it, but than I get cold feet since decent ones are getting harder and harder to find.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cousin Vinnie,

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 3 225s, including a Novak GOM. I may sell everything else I own, but never my 225s.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new-to-you P225. Nothing wrong with a little wear and character on an old SIG! Many prefer them that way.

I picked up a P6 a few years back and it's one of my favorite shooters.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10490 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
Damn that is nice. If I could, I would turn back time to only selling commercial market SIG-Sauer pistols made from say the late 80's to middlish 90's. A hell of a lot fewer choices, but what you did buy was the pinnacle of quality, reserved appearance, and all business.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Its in very good condition. Congrats. I had one of those back in the 80's, exceptional shooter

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Thank you, folks. Can someone please let me know what the OEM sights look like what height they were what numbers they were etc. Are they the same ones for the P226?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1KPerDay,

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:

I also recently purchased the "New" P225-A1, and like it as well, but you really can't beat the original P225.....What do they say about a copy? It is the best form of flattery?
The new A1 should have been called the P228 slim, IMO. The 225 is all about the trigger guard and I don't know why they messed it up. No offense to those who like them but I found it tragic, personally. Although the longer grip would probably fit my hand even better.

Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
Odd. It looks like someone added Pachmayr rubber bases to the bottoms of standard German P6/P225 mags.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Fine looking older P225.
An older German P225 and Police turn in P6 are among my favorite SIGS.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The bdavis baseplates are well worth the money as far as ergonomics as well as looks (if he decides to make them again).

Posts: 81 | Registered: September 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good find for you! You will have lots of fun with the 225. One of mine is also "KF" date coded.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post