SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 19 pinky pinch
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 19 pinky pinch Login/Join 
TANSTAAFL
posted
Picked up a new gen 4 Glock 19. Had loved the feel of my M&p 9, but the accuracy wasn’t there. I have only shot a 35 and a 27 before, no issues. With the 19 I get pinched on my pinky. During shooting not reloading. I searched but didn’t see anyone else reporting the same. The accuracy was a huge improvement though.

The other issue with the gun, which is also an issue with the M&p is the sights. I’m used to a deeper notch on my 1911’s and it seems barely there on the plastic guns. Of cours it could be my eyes.

If I don’t resolve it I’ll likely pick up a 17 eventually. Anyone else get pinched while shooting the Glock 19 or 22?

Sadly, I realized today that I prefer shooting my 625 to a lot of other handguns.

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of that on the 19, but it probably has a lot to do wit your hand size and where your small finger rests.

I don't experience pinching on the G19 or G22, but I do get it on the G30 and G29. Depending on which base plate I'm using, the gap between the bottom of the frame and the baseplate does sometimes leave a blood blister on my little finger. I find that if it occurs, it's when I start shooting one of those two pistols, if I haven't fired them for a while.

Once I begin shooting, it goes away; my best guess is that I instinctively begin moving my finger so it doesn't happen. It's not something I consciously do, but it makes sense.

I haven't experienced that on any other frame, including the small G43, or even the G26, G27, or G33. Only on the compact larger calibers, in the G30 and G29...and mostly just on the G30. I've heard a number of others say they've had the same thing on the G30, and most seem to agree the frame might have been better off just a bit longer. While each offers a "flush mag" which doesn't give much purchase for the little finger, both those frames (and the G36) use mag baseplates that act as the bottom of the grip to allow full purchase, The space between the baseplate and the frame is where the pinch occurs.

Which generation Glock are you shooting, and which baseplate are you using?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
Gen 4 mos, using stock baseplates.

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I experienced the same thing with my g19 when I 1st got it about 12yrs ago. After 2-3 trips to the range, I instinctively started releasing the grip of my pinky finger when changing mags and never experienced it again.

Posts: 2750 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
One solution may be to try the Magpul Enhanced Magazine Well. It will force your hand higher on the grip but also covers the gap between the grip and the magazine base plate. I have one on my Gen 4 G19 and the fit is great.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some guns seem to have more magazine shift than others. My PPQ mag really moves a lot when loading and cycling.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I had that issue with the G26, not the 19. I avoided the 26 until I learned the trick of putting a rubber washer at the base of the magazine. It keeps the magazine from moving during recoil and pinching your finger. You just have to experiment and find the right size that allows full insertion of the magazine, but minimizes movement. Always bump the mag to make sure it’s fully seated. I do the same on my G29&30 also. Should work with a G19 if your pinky hangs off the frame.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
You can put more undercut on the trigger guard. It will raise your hand up higher on the grip.

JWF had a good idea with the mag well.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
I agree on the magwell option too.

Posts: 731 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
I’m thinking I’ll look into the mag well. I have a short but wide hand. I think that would do nicely. And the undercut might be a good thing deal as well. Will see.

posted Hide Post
I tried the magpull magwells for Glocks when they came out. Terrible. Didn't fit, warped, gaps, not secure. Complete waste of money. I wouldn't buy another, and didn't bother to give mine away, it was so poor.

I do have the Agency Arms minimalist mag well on my carry G32 and several G19's, G17's, G31, etc. I use Vickers baseplates, as well as Pmags. All fight flush and tight, and the magwell is small; it's smaller than the vickers baseplates.

The magpul well is cheaper, but there is the operative word: cheap. Magpul products are generally very good; not so for the mag well. Their Glock magazines are excellent.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried the Magpul magwells but got a deal ($50) on an Agency Arms one so gave it a try on my Gen 4 G32. I was very surprised on how it helped my grip and cleaned things up. Yeah, I'm sure it helps with reloads slightly but it's how it helps the grip is what's the biggest factor for me.

I'd be hard pressed to pay the list of $100ish for one but it's definitely a good upgrade if you can find a deal IMO.

Posts: 731 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
I’ll look at the agency arms magwell.

I have found I prefer the sight notch depth on my vtac to most fixed semi auto sights. I don’t care either way for the tritium/fiber but would love to find more sights with notch depth and width like those. Does anyone know of more like those?

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Trijicon HD and HD XR sights have a deep notch.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32426 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It may not be a practical option, but you might try the Gen5 in your hand and then trade if it works better for you. It has the Gen2-style magwell cutout in front. I've really enjoyed mine, but I never had a problem with any of the G19 grips...

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
If you're gonna buy another pistol to remedy this issue, a 19X would be the way to go... Wink

Although I've never had this problem with my Gen 2 G19 or G26.

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Koop
posted Hide Post
I get a pinky pinch on my Gen 2 Glock 23 when I double tap it. Never happens with my P226 mk25!

Mike
P239, P226 Navy...oh and a Glock 23

Posts: 105 | Location: United States | Registered: November 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buddy357:
Picked up a new gen 4 Glock 19. Had loved the feel of my M&p 9, but the accuracy wasn’t there. [...] With the 19 I get pinched on my pinky. During shooting not reloading.

quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
Although I've never had this problem with my Gen 2 G19 or G26.

I'm the opposite of you fellas. My Gen 2 19's pinch the ever-loving out my pinkie when I shoot them. That sharp plastic in the half moon cutout makes a nice, crisp surface to catch skin as all that plastic is flexing around under recoil. Worse for me is a G26. When I got my Gen 4 19, it completely solved that issue for me. Now, I have some pretty beefy hands, but with the smaller beavertail backstrap, I can get a high enough grip on it that my pinky isn't at risk. Without the beavertail, all Glocks slide-track the bejesus out of the web of my hand.

I currently have a Suarez magwell on my Gen 4 that might be worth taking a look at, buddy357. The front lip protrudes a pretty fair amount, I would think it pretty difficult to get nipped by a pistol wearing one of these:
https://suarezinternational.co...-guide-for-glock-19/

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
I get pinky pinch on my Gen 3 19 sometimes but not very bad. Never on my Gen 5 19 I think because of the flared mag well.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a pretty big fan of the undercut (not terribly hard to DIY if you have a dremel, files, sandpaper and mothers, plus some time) I like the single and dont get much out of the double though different strokes.

I have two magwells, a Suarez and a magpul and I like both of them. The magpul is the cheapest you'll get ($20ish)but still adds enough to get your pinky locked in. The Suarez is metal so more expensive and gives you less grip on the mag to clear a malfunction but has more of a chute. I would imagine something like these would solve your issue.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post