SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Update page 2: What sights do you like for your carry gun?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update page 2: What sights do you like for your carry gun? Login/Join 
Picture of Deplorable_Dixie
posted
What do you like for sights with your carry gun? And why do those work for you versus others?

I am looking to upgrade a gen 4 Glock 19. I have a slight astigmatism and am cross eye dominant... Between the two, I have a hard time with the factory sights (3 white dots). I am thinking about fiber optics.. but have never tried them in action before. So I thought I'd consult the hive Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Deplorable_Dixie,

Posts: 59 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Trijicon HD or Ameriglo UC

Both have brightly-colored, easily acquired front sights. (Your choice of yellow or orange; I prefer yellow.) Both have subdued rear sights with "U" notches.

HD: https://www.trijicon.com/na_en...duct2_hdns.php?mid=8

UC: https://ameriglo.com/products/glock-uc-tritium-sets

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
After everything I've tried over the years my favorite is still the old school SIG bar and dot contrast sights.

Really fast close shooting, just find the front sight, a little more time you just dot the i, more time or more accurate shot needed use the black full sight picture. I find that the combination of the width of the rear notch and the front sight is just right for me. I get a little light on both sides of the front sight but not too much. I have pistols with really narrow front sights vs the rear notch and also a couple with a really wide front sight that almost completely fills the rear notch, neither is ideal. The old Bar and Dot sights are just right for me.

I also very much like the idea that I can fine tune my point of aim, point of impact in a controled, common sense way by using the SIG sight number system. I like most of my pistols to shoot flat or just a bullet width high at 25 yards and I can get just what I want with a few extra front and rear SIG sights and my SIG sight pusher.

I just took an old set of dead SIG Light night sights off of a nice P229 in 357SIG and replaced them with these old bar dot sights this weekend. Started out with a 7 rear and a 6 front and the gun was shooting a couple inches low at 25 yards so I took out the 7 rear and replaced it with an 8 rear and that centered my groups up nicely.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm probably in the minority, but I like plain black sights. I use more of a target-focused approach to aiming, so plain black sights are less distracting to me. If I have enough ambient light to ID my target, I can either see the sights or, worst case, get a rough visual alignment on the target. I do prefer square notches and a good amount of daylight on either side of the front sight in the notch. I haven't tried them, but I really like the design of the Ameriglo Kyle Defoor plain black sights.

Another reason is that I like having the same sight picture on all my guns, which includes fixed-sight revolvers, so making all my sights plain black keeps things consistent.

I've tried colored sights, with several different colors, but I've found they'll actually disappear under some lighting conditions, at least for me.

I've used a couple of different night sights before. One was the 3-dot/2-color variety (green front, yellow rear). They worked ok, but I actually found it visually "busy," if that makes sense. I've also used XS Big Dot sights. They worked well up close, but I didn't seem to have as much accuracy potential at longer ranges.

I haven't ruled out using night sights again, but if I did I'd probably stick with a square notch, plenty of daylight on either side of the front sight, and tritium in the front sight only, preferably without an outline.

Just my preference, and, like I said, I'm probably in the minority. Sights are a personal preference. You probably won't know what works for you without some experimentation and some trial-and-error.

FYI, I'm also cross-dominant (right-handed/left-eye dominant, rather strongly, too). I'm not sure if that really has an effect on sight preferences, though. I have read that target-focused aiming, where the target is in focus and the sights are blurred, can help with some visual problems, but I can't remember if astigmatism was included in that.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My older eyes like a fiber optic skinny front sight, and an all black rear.

Posts: 181 | Location: NEPA | Registered: March 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed32hall
posted Hide Post
I have the Trijicon HD Yellow on a couple of my 228's and so far, really like them. Ed

Sigs - Yes, I would like more German made Sigs

Posts: 2652 | Location: Formerly NW WA, now in SE TN | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Trijicon HDs on my last three pistols.

The, ( yellow in my case ) front sight immediately draws my eye to it.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Trijicon HDs, I prefer the orange but the yellow works too.

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Ameriglo i-Dot Pro, red/orange ring. Or just the i-Dot Pro front and a plain black rear.

Worst sight: I also now know that my Meprolight Bull's-Eye experiment ended up being unsatisfactory for anything other than close-in situations, exactly the type of scenario where one would be more likely be using instinctive/reflex targeting. Oh well...

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TFOs/TFXs. They glow in day and night! Other "night sights" are just that, Night-Sights; they are hard for me to see in the day.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Ameriglo Pro Ops 3 dot with orange front ring.

I try to keep my carry guns matching my duty gun.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Either 2 dot setup or blacked out rears.
My main carry gun has Ameriglo Idot orange.

I think for my next set, I will get Warren tactical rears in either single dot or all black.

I used to have Trijicon HDs, the rear U notch is great, but I'm not a fan of 3 dots, and also the rear is quite sharp.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Starting to move towards fiber optic fronts with plain black rears

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trijicon HD-XR or Ameriglo iDot.

As my eyes have aged, traditional 3-dot sights are terrible.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Trijicon HD XR

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ameriglo Glock UC's that came on all three of my Glock TALO editions.

---------------------------
And... Have a good 'un.

Posts: 279 | Registered: October 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I pretty much go with dawson "charger" sights on my carry guns. plain black serrated rear, FO front.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Dawson plain black rear with FO front on my G43. TruGlo TFO's on my G19 which I think I'll be changing over to the Dawson set up.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
I like the Ameriglo Hackathorn combo, orange dot front with a wide square notch black rear.

https://ameriglo.com/collectio...lock-hackathorn-sets

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chem Geek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:
I like the Ameriglo Hackathorn combo, orange dot front with a wide square notch black rear.

https://ameriglo.com/collectio...lock-hackathorn-sets

This is what I like, and have it on 3 pistols now. Even found the individual parts for my P220 SAO.

When life closes a door, open it. It's a door. That's how they work.

Posts: 2451 | Location: Riverview, FL | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post