SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Choice of optics ready range pistol
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Choice of optics ready range pistol Login/Join 
posted
My 52 year old eyes are telling me that it might be time to give an RDS sighted pistol a try. I'm also looking for a long slide range gun, so have narrowed it down to the following:

Question:
Which of these pistols makes the best 9mm RDS host?

Choices:
Sig P320 Full size RX
Walther Q5 Match
S&W M&P C.O.R.E.
Glock 34 Gen 4 MOS
Other-please specify

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Out of those the RX looks to be the most economical.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love my P320RX! One of the most accurate and easy to shoot pistols I have ever shot.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
For the money it's hard to beat the 320-RX, I think the Deltapoint Pro is a better MRDS but the Romeo1 is a solid option. I love my 320-RX!

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JordanR
posted Hide Post
"Other"

One of these if they ever make it stateside.

Choice of trigger pull and magazine release for those that don't like Hk's paddle.

http://www.heckler-koch.com/en...roduct-overview.html

Jordan

“We’re going to win so much. You’re going to get tired of winning. You’re going to say, ‘Please, Mr. President, I have a headache. Please, don’t win so much,’” he vowed.

Posts: 564 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would be great if they made an L-OR version of the VP9.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a P320 RX full size that I love. It was my first pistol with a red dot sight, it shoots amazingly and the romeo1 has a great sight picture and the dot is very bright. But I just picked up a P226 SAO RX that is at a different level.

I vote 320 RX on a budget and P226 SAO RX if you do not have a budget

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
I love my G34. Wouldn't trade it for any of the others listed.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Factor8:
I have a P320 RX full size that I love. It was my first pistol with a red dot sight, it shoots amazingly and the romeo1 has a great sight picture and the dot is very bright. But I just picked up a P226 SAO RX that is at a different level.

I vote 320 RX on a budget and P226 SAO RX if you do not have a budget

I bought a P226 RX SAO about a month ago. That thing is simply amazing!!

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This decision has two sides. First what optic do you prefer and then is there a pistol that you like that will accommodate it or can be milled for it. I personally use the Glock MOS system the most often, its versatile, can accommodate numerous optics and its been very reliable for me (tens of thousands of rounds). I use it with an RMR, which based on everything I've experimented with is the best option, but is of course the most expensive (and there are a zillion options so I can't see I've used anywhere near all of them). I see posts on sigforum that like the Sig RX system and I don't remember a negative one, but you are then stuck with that sig optics as it doesn't use an adapter plate. And I've been burned way too many times by Sig on new things to trust them until a lot more time has gone by. In addition it is not clear to me how many of those that love the Sig Romeo have actually used something else so that it is really a comparison, because if its your first time using any optic pistol, anything will look great.
Having said all that its really hard to go wrong for a range pistol with any of the factory options and the sig option is really really economic.
Lastly you can get many other guns milled for a red dot easily and you don't need to limit yourself to the factory list. I've got PSeries sigs (226 and 220), 1911's, and HK's all with RMR's. So if you have a favorite platform you will likely be able to get it modified to fit an optic.
Not directly related I would say that one of the things I've found in this area is the normal barrel rules don't apply. Without the need for a longer sight radius to improve sighting there is no real need for a longer barrel. My first Glock MOS was a G34MOS as my previous standard competition gun was a G34, that soon got swapped for a G17MOS. The longer G34 offered no real advantage in the type of action steel events I normally shoot and was a disadvantage.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have been evaluating each of the candidates listed for use by a weight sensitive competitor in Bullseye. The P320RX with factory trigger is not yet ready - waiting for Mr. Gray to put it right. Am adding a Colt Light Weight Commander and TP9SFx to list. Hope for a CZ P10C too, but that might not occur this year. A shoot-off is planed when Mr. Gray fixes the P320RX with whatever is then available and when warm weather arrives.

Now, The G34 Gen4 MOS with Venom (and reworked insides) is the favorite of the competitor. However, the Colt (still in need of red-dot sight) is a strong second even with iron sights. I favor the M&P Pro CORE 5" with Venom (and Apex full kit).

As we all know, fit is necessary and is highly dependent on a particular individual's make-up.

An example from IDPA competitor is a 4" XDs that was essentially re-manufactured finally to have a usable trigger, better sights, and racking-force. Worked very well except that reloading was much too slow due to the excessive force needed to release magazine! I hope not ever to see another XD-anything.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post