SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Do you have any unicorns?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have any unicorns? Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Definitely some cool pieces y'all have. Lusting after that 3" Smith...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
MG34_Dan is definitely leading the pack in this thread. Nice.... Smile

Posts: 17127 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
My 6" S&W 5906 Performance Center PPC model. Not too many of the 6" versions around.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
quote:
Originally posted by SilentMike:
My 3" Smith 66 is probably the most uncommon handgun I own.

They are cool, aren't they??

have one as well,

bought it from lew Horton (maybe??) in the mid 80's,

also have one of 6 experimental rapid fire guns sent to USAMTU in 1968 by High Standard,

the serial for the one I have was sent to the Navy,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Someday I'll try to buy a normal pistol... Nah!

Posts: 9153 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bruce Gray P220 10mm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
I don’t know how much of a unicorn it is, but I have a mid 90’s Italian Beretta Inox that is new in the box.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Darthfuster--i'm looking at your HK's with suppressors attached. The HK's seem to be 45 caliber and the top 2 suppressors end caps look 45ish. The bottom suppressor endcap looks like a 22 caliber.
HK 45 CT only came in 45.
??

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is only one gun that I might call a unicorn. It is a stainless steel Winchester model 70 in .308 Winchester with an 18" barrel. According to the Browning historian, it is a one-of-a-kind built by USRAC in 2005 for the SHOT show. It is a nice rifle.

TBK

Posts: 573 | Location: South Texas | Registered: January 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fz4vgq
posted Hide Post
Not a unicorn but I know there were very few of these made and most of the ones sold got shot alot in IMHS events. Browning Buck Mark Unlimited Silhouette model

Posts: 2463 | Location: Winter Wonderland | Registered: April 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
My German unicorn.
It all started in Portland, Oregon in the late 1950s with MAD Magazine. My interest in drawing was stoked by the great illustrators that MAD featured back then… and the GUNS they chose to draw!
Probably due to WW II, most of them were exotic pistols, SMGs, and machineguns of that era. The one gun that imprinted on me above all others: The Broomhandle Mauser! (I am guessing/speculating that two of my contemporaries might also have been taken with this fine German handgun… Star Wars Blaster ...hmmm.)
I drew them, mostly during class at St. Thomas Moore grade school (Not a real smart idea there).
Later, when I finally could scrape $5 together, I sent away for a full size solid aluminum flat black painted “Broom”! Touted in the back-of-the-comic book ad as: “Same Size, Same Weight as the REAL THING!” It was MAGNIFICENT.
Skipping ahead some years I was finally able to get my father to buy a REAL C96 at Andy & Bax Surplus Store in Portland. (The store of many of my wants & dreams back in the day)
The price: $17. Same price as Nambus, Lugers, P38s… just another reason for me to keep working on building that damn time machine.
Over the years I had several other Brooms, a Bolo 9, two Red 9s, 2 better grade .30 cals; one with matching wood stock/holster. All long gone.
That was until a year ago when a friend of nearly 50 years came to visit me in Arizona. I always knew of his extensive collection of WW I & WW II guns and accessories, but I did not know that when he turned 80 he decided to sell it all. I asked if by any chance he had any of his Brooms left. He said he only had one left and that was due to the scheduled buyer dropping dead less than two weeks before my friend left to visit me! I asked what he wanted for it, it was the RIGHT price; SOLD.

It is an all #s matching 1916 Prussian Contract C96 RED 9. It is by far the best Broom I’ve ever had and I only had to wait 70 years to finally get it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Z06,

Posts: 4030 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:
My German unicorn.
It all started in Portland, Oregon in the late 1950s with MAD Magazine. My interest in drawing was stoked by the great illustrators that MAD featured back then… and the GUNS they chose to draw!
Probably due to WW II, most of them were exotic pistols, SMGs, and machineguns of that era. The one gun that imprinted on me above all others: The Broomhandle Mauser! (I am guessing/speculating that two of my contemporaries might also have been taken with this fine German handgun… Star Wars Blaster ...hmmm.)
I drew them, mostly during class at St. Thomas Moore grade school (Not a real smart idea there).
Later, when I finally could scrape $5 together, I sent away for a full size solid aluminum flat black painted “Broom”! Touted in the back-of-the-comic book ad as: “Same Size, Same Weight as the REAL THING!” It was MAGNIFICENT.
Skipping ahead some years I was finally able to get my father to buy a REAL C96 at Andy & Bax Surplus Store in Portland. (The store of many of my wants & dreams back in the day)
The price: $17. Same price as Nambus, Lugers, P38s… just another reason for me to keep working on building that damn time machine.
Over the years I had several other Brooms, a Bolo 9, two Red 9s, 2 better grade .30 cals; one with matching wood stock/holster. All long gone.
That was until a year ago when a friend of nearly 50 years came to visit me in Arizona. I always knew of his extensive collection of WW I & WW II guns and accessories, but I did not know that when he turned 80 he decided to sell it all30 cal. c. I asked if by any chance he had any of his Brooms left. He said he only had one left and that was due to the scheduled buyer dropping dead less than two weeks before my friend left to visit me! I asked what he wanted for it, it was the RIGHT price; SOLD.

It is an all #s matching 1916 Prussian Contract C96 RED 9. It is by far the best Broom I’ve ever had and I only had to wait 70 years to finally get it.

I also own '96 Mauser pistols (about a dozen or so). Re-finished "Broomhandles" are pretty common. I possess four (4) WW1 era M96 examples. A .30 cal wartime commercial, .30 cal. bearing the Imperial Army acceptance mark and two (2) M1896/16's (or "Red 9's"). None of these pistols have a blued bolt, blued hammer or blued carrier for the internal lock work. These parts and the rear sight blade originally were "in the white".

Not trying to be snarky or come off as a jerk; but what you consider a unicorn (because of condition??) most collectors would consider a very pretty but incorrect attempt at a restoration! I can't see them well, but the bolt stop, safety lever and trigger should be fire blued not rust blued and none of these pistols were ever "hot dip blued" from the factory.

IMO 99.9% of all Lugers, M96s, P38s and PP/PPKs will never be "unicorns" -- they just made way too many! Yes, I have very nice examples of all of the above. They are no longer inexpensive to purchase, but they're not rare!

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
The "unicorn" part to ME is what it meant as an icon gun as a kid.
Also I only found out 2 years ago my grandfather, born in Hannover in 1866, became a Prussian Officer in 1898, one year after my father was born in Hamburg. As an adoptee I never knew my birth parents were born in Germany until I was 68. THEN I started collecting a few German items to commemorate them. The repro stocks I just got from CMR in GB.

As far as this THIS unicorn C96 goes; the $450 that I paid I am fine with. The machineguns take up all my big ticket spending.

Posts: 4030 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You mean like this:

Or this:

Or this:

Or this:

Or this:

Or this:

Or this:

Or this:

Or this:

Or this:

Or this:

Posts: 232 | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I have a Benelli MP95. The trigger must be a whole pound or so. Insanely accurate.

It's the only one I've ever run across for sale.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I've got a "4th gen" Steyr M357-A1, it's my carry gun, I understand they only made 1000.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I have a real affinity for 3" barreled revolvers and own a 3" Model 66 S&W too. My favorite 3" unicorn though is my Colt (factory 3") Python. I bought it in the mid-1980's for less than $200.00, when I saw it in my LGS. No box, but it was the "real deal" and the first thing I did when I got home was to send off for a Colt letter to verify authenticity. I found and added the Fuzzy Farrant grips later!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No one has a longslide hkp7??

Posts: 151 | Registered: September 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Darthfuster--i'm looking at your HK's with suppressors attached. The HK's seem to be 45 caliber and the top 2 suppressors end caps look 45ish. The bottom suppressor endcap looks like a 22 caliber.
HK 45 CT only came in 45.
??

The bottom suppressor is the unicorn. It is in 45 acp. What you are seeing is the wipe module with wipes installed. These are designed to make a shorter suppressor with fewer baffles have the same signature as a full size suppressor. The wipes have a smaller orifice so they make a seal with the projectile as it passes through.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
quote:
quote:

I have a real affinity for 3" barreled revolvers and own a 3" Model 66 S&W too. My favorite 3" unicorn though is my Colt (factory 3") Python. I bought it in the mid-1980's for less than $200.00, when I saw it in my LGS. No box, but it was the "real deal" and the first thing I did when I got home was to send off for a Colt letter to verify authenticity. I found and added the Fuzzy Farrant grips later!

those Farrant's are a collectible, and unicorn, as well,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post