SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Do you have any unicorns?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have any unicorns? Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted
I wonder if you would share them with us if you do. I like rare things. I like the stories behind them. I have tree items I'd classify as unicorns. They each have a story.

One of them is a Knights Armament CT suppressor. From what I've read and been told, KAC made less than 30. They were for a specific gov't contract involving a specific special force. The hearsay is that the op they were designed for happened before delivery so these were shelved. At some point KAC decided to release them into the wild. An announcement was made to that effect and then they all disappeared. Skip ahead a couple of years and I found one for sale. Snatched it up and it sits unfired in my safe.

It is pictured below at the bottom on my USPct clone. The other two are a Mark 23 and USP Tactical.

image size fixed.

What are your unicorns?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: darthfuster,

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29693 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I had a USP Tactical with the Knights can, matching serials. Not exactly a unicorn, but not common.

I have an AMT Automag III, uncommon but not exactly highly desirable.

I've got a nice Luger.

I've got a Swiss P210.

I've got one 60's era Python left.

Unicorns? Dunno, but nice.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
As far as rare, my Springfield Armory SAR-4800 in 5.56mm. It's an Imbel FAL chambered in 5.56mm and takes AR-15 magazines. From brief research they were a civilian model of an early step in the Imbel assault rifle program. Reportedly ~200 in the country. There is not much demand for them.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I had a USP Tactical with the Knights can, matching serials . Not exactly a unicorn, but not common.

I've got a nice Luger.

I've got a Swiss P210.

That might be more of a unicorn than at first glance. I remember back in 03 my dealer said for an extra cost, KAC would engrave the serial number to match the host. I declined, but now not only will Knights not do it, but no one who answers the phone remembers Knights ever having offered that option. So there you have it. Maybe a unicorn in disguise. Smile

Posts: 29693 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I had a USP Tactical with the Knights can, matching serials . Not exactly a unicorn, but not common.

I've got a nice Luger.

I've got a Swiss P210.

That might be more of a unicorn than at first glance. I remember back in 03 my dealer said for an extra cost, KAC would engrave the serial number to match the host. I declined, but now not only will Knights not do it, but no one who answers the phone remembers Knights ever having offered that option. So there you have it. Maybe a unicorn in disguise. Smile

I moved back to MA, where suppressors are not OK, so sold it as a set.

If rifles are in the mix, I have one of the earliest examples of a commercial semiautomatic M14, offered by Maunz, and only available to National Match competitors. This is during the development of what became the M1A.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/7570054914/p/1

Btw, please resize your pics, man. I can see them from orbit. Eek

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Apologies for the pic size. Semms my hosting site does not resize them. Will work on it when I can...

Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
the gun might not be a Unicorn, but I have an unfired 4" Python with the little round four bladed colt marked keychain tool. The tool might be a Unicorn by now. The Python is a '76

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Have a set of CS-1 Smith 686's that were built for the Customs Service. Have a 3" and a 4". Both with original boxes.

Have a Combat Magnum (pre M-19) made the first week or so of production in 1955. The 25th gun built in the model run.

Forget the numbers, but have a Stainless 617 that is one of 116 I think built, before they added the heavy barrel underlug. So it's one of only 116 stainless M-17 , K-22's. Also have it's 4" Sister, I think they built 130 of those? Again...not sure of the numbers but it wasn't more than 200.

Have a pair of consecutively serial numbered 4" M-29's. You see very few consecutively numbered Smiths for some unknown reason.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Probably my P38. All numbers match. Not crazy rare but I enjoy it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Andyb,

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3598 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My "Suisse Montage" P225 with Euro mag release I consider to be unicorn-ish since I have not seen another with those markings, including the Swiss Canton mark.
Probably not rare, though.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16085 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a few scarce guns, but the only real "unicorn" I think I have is... A Remington 870.
It's a Wingmaster, and is so labeled, but also marked "PIMC COMBAT". It's in great shape to this day; parkerized to that old military green color with a 20 inch barrel with IC choke and rifle sights, and extended 8 round magazine. I got it when it came in on trade at the gun shop I was managing in 1994 for the princely sum of... wait for it... $45.
It was shipped to Pacific International Merchandising Corporation in 1981 per Remington, and I have never seen another one, nor can I find one like it online. Wish I had pics… sorry.

Posts: 91 | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Does the Die Hard AUG qualify as a unicorn?

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Several unicorns. Beretta 92 Billennium, 92 Combat, 92 Stock, Vektor SP1, just to list a few. The Combat is by far the most rare globally.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a fun thread. I didn't think I had any. Maybe some odd very low production stuff from SIG and HK, but nothing I would consider a unicorn. Now according to another thread a BDA .38 super is one of 752 in the US. Is that a unicorn. Or does it need to be even rarer?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I don't think there really is a standard definition of a unicorn gun. I suppose we just know it when we see it. I think even an uncommon characteristic in a common gun could qualify. Recently Jim Schatz's NAVSPECWAR HK USPct went up for auction. That for sure is a unicorn if by no other measure than whose it was (may he rest in peace).

One of my other unicorns belongs to this gun below.

The LAR Grizzly is a very nice gun, but not a unicorn. What IS the unicorn is a particular caliber conversion kit. This gun was offered with 45 win mag, 357/45 GWM, 357 rem mag, 10mm and/or 45acp conversion kits at extra cost. Under development but not offered in production was a 9mm win mag kit. While speaking with the designer/engineer a while back, he mentioned the existence of the one 9mm win mag kit that made it into the wild. Told me where they sent it for review. I contacted the man and he sold it to me. So now I have that unicorn as well as the other conversion kits mentioned above. Smile

AAC's Chief Mechanical Designer
posted Hide Post
My 3" Smith 66 is probably the most uncommon handgun I own.

Mike Smith
404-213-7753

Posts: 565 | Location: Alpharetta, GA USA | Registered: January 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SilentMike:
My 3" Smith 66 is probably the most uncommon handgun I own.

They are cool, aren't they??

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
This one might qualify.... original factory Sterling Mk. VI semi auto. Only 1600 were made. I can't find out how many made it to the US, and it's likely a number of those have been SBR'd. So likely not a lot of originals left.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I got one of those too. -3 version. The S&W.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post