SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Opinions on a small pocket revolver
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on a small pocket revolver Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Charter Arms is crap. If you found a nice one, congrats, but don't bank your life on one. Seriously. If the only thing you take out of this thread is avoid Charter Arms then you are ahead.

The Ruger LCR's are nice. I'm a 640ish kind of guy. I have a shrouded hammer 649 and a 640 Pro. Both great at what they do. Get a shrouded or DAO. You will never need to shoot these SA and the hammer is just in the way. You also won't shoot much full power 357 stuff. I found a good 38 +P load that I can shoot all day and stuck with that. I still prefer 357's for the versatility but you can save some money by getting a 38 Spl only gun.

Smith or Ruger would be my choice.

Maybe it was a typing error but my 649 is all stainless steel, it isn't aluminum. I also added the Apex Kit to one of mine. Its still reliable and the trigger is better. Not a necessary addition by any means though.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Planning on shooting straight out of your pocket, are you? Wink

I don't see the allure of carrying something that heavy in a pocket, but if you must insist on steel I'd recommend a Kimber K6S over anything else. Reliable with great triggers right out of the box. And six rounds. Though you might want to make sure that your intended pocket is well reinforced to handle the mass.

Personally it would easier to carry a P365. Well except for that shooting out of the pocket part...

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lee40215
posted Hide Post
Been carrying a sig p250sc in the pocket so not sure of how much weight difference there would be going to a stainless revolver with 6 to 7 less rounds. Heeded the warning on here about charter arms so they are all off the gunbroker list one of the reasons I asked here more knowledge than I have.

Posts: 1097 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: August 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I've been intrigued by the Taurus 856. Available in a bobbed hammer alloy frame version. A touch bigger than a Smith J-frame, but has six shots.

Yes, I know Taurus doesn't have the greatest reputation, but that has mostly to do with their autos, and may be a thing of the past (the G2C and now G3C are selling in vast numbers and getting good reviews.)

Might be worth a look.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I have a S&W 649-1 in .357Mag. It is too heavy for pocket carry so I carry it in a holster. Very concealable!
I also have a S&W Airweight in .38SPL +p. It's a little lighter but still uncomfortable in my pocket. I also carry that in a Galco holster. In fact, that's what I have on my hip today!
Guess I'm just not a pocket guy!!

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

Yes, I know Taurus doesn't have the greatest reputation, but that has mostly to do with their autos, and may be a thing of the past.

I bought two new production Taurus revolvers a little over a year ago, a Judge and a 905, and had problems with both. In addition Taurus CS has been terrible and unwilling to work with me on returning the 905.

Taurus has a bad reputation because they build shit guns.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lee40215
posted Hide Post
Lol looks like the brands are dwindling down. Smith,ruger and Rossi are left. Maybe kimber if not out of the price range.

Posts: 1097 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: August 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carried a S&W 442 for many years...Switched to a Glock 26 when it came out, now carry a P365...Do I sometimes worry about a "click" when I pull the trigger of a semi-auto (versus a revolver)? I'm not gonna lie. Yes I sometimes do worry about it, but...I figure I've got great small guns (the P365 and a Glock 26), the S&W 442 "Airweight" is indeed quite light, but...Only 5 rounds. A good "belly gun" as the saying goes, yes, but...I carry good pocket pistols with good ammo, so if it should come to be that they "aren't enough" or fail me? How often does that (failure) really happen with either a G26 or a Sig 365??
I'll roll the dice and stick with (now) the P365...A bit heavier obviously than an Airweight 442 but..double the capacity of the old S&W..

Posts: 19 | Location: Massachusetts (ugh!)  | Registered: September 01, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
S&W, when I used to want to pocket carry, a 638 was my choice for a number of years. It has been retired in favor of the P365.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:

Taurus has a bad reputation because they build shit guns.

This. I've had two Taurus revolvers...a model 44 in .44 Mag and a 605 in .357 Mag. Both had timing issues or would occasionally fail to advance the cylinder when the trigger was pulled. The M44 also had stupid porting (8 round holes in the top of the barrel, right behind the muzzle) that did nothing but introduce increased muzzle blast to the shooter's face, and it was a PITA to clean. My buddy (ironically, the guy I sold the M44 to, who ultimately sold it himself and replaced it with an S&W) now has a ported S&W .44Mag with well-engineered porting that actually works...it's a night and day difference.

The 605 went back to Taurus. I got no communication at all about it's status, then one day I had a note from FedEx on my porch saying they'd attempted delivery, but I was at work. If Taurus had notified me I could have ensured somebody was at home. Ended up having to drive an hour and a half to the FedEx depot to pick it up.

It appeared to be fixed, but I sold it shortly after. With the availability of Ruger and S&W offerings for not that much more money, there's just no reason to own a Taurus. They suckered me twice...never again.

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee40215:
Been carrying a sig p250sc in the pocket so not sure of how much weight difference there would be going to a stainless revolver with 6 to 7 less rounds. Heeded the warning on here about charter arms so they are all off the gunbroker list one of the reasons I asked here more knowledge than I have.

So I have to ask: why a revo, with the excess weight, essentially traded for on-board ammo? Shoot-through-the-pocket, as mentioned?

Its a valid technique, and pretty decent for keeping people around from running & screaming, "GUN!", if you had to use it quickly without drawing attention. If that's the idea, there is no comparison- S&W 640, or 642 Airweight, if you change your mind. I know the Airweight will snap your hand more, so if you have carpal tunnel, arthritis or something similar, yeah, stainless is the way to go.

Google search, "Claude Werner, the Tactical Professor". I don't know of any modern instructors who have more rounds through J frames & he has a ton of special insights, specific to the snubbie platform.

Posts: 51 | Registered: August 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I had a Ruger Sp101 in 357mag for some time, great gun never failed but was heavy. A coworker wanted it and I sold it to him.

Had a S&W 360, carried it as a backup for years...someone wanted it and gave me a gob of cash. I wish I had kept it. Lightweight, dependable.

I have a S&W model 60 (38special) with a 2” barrel and I like it a lot, dependable, but is kinda heavy cause it’s stainless.

I have a Taurus 85 (38 special) 2”, light, dependable, I gets carried more than the mod60 due to the weight.

I trust both the 60 and the 85...I grab the 85 most of the time because it’s light and doesn’t weigh down my shorts if I’m going to the mailbox around the corner...I choose a gun based on the clothing I’m wearing, so weight makes a difference.

I replaced the 60s grip because the factory wood grips suck, some hogue grips and the gun is completely comfortable to shoot.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Kimber. K6S is a quality revolver.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I love my Smith 638 with Crimson Trace grips. It’s spot on at 10 yards.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I'd check on the Ruger LCR.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
I like snubbies and I have a 442 pro, a 640 pro, and the kimber.
The kimber has really become my favorite....

Posts: 1694 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a S&W 442 and a 640 Centennial which I carry in iwb belt holsters, and my opinion / suggestion, in addition to the great comments and suggestions already made is to practice shooting it a lot.

The 640 is stainless and heavier, and is relatively easier to shoot.

With S&W’s notoriously heavy and long DOA triggers and ‘snappy’ recoil, becoming proficient and accurate took some time for me.

Posts: 3464 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a little S&W 352 tilite,hammerless double action only j frame. Titanium cylinder, a Scandium/aluminum alloy frame. Weighs 10 oz, and +P rated. Honestly it's brutal to shoot, so much I have retired it in favor of either a Sig P938 or P9365. I made the trade because it did not conceal well for pocket carry, one day my wife kept telling me it was showing, so I needed something thinner and shorter.

Posts: 45 | Registered: May 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a smith and wesson model 342 from April to October (and sometimes during the winter depending on what i am wearing) here in CT. 5 shots, 11oz., no lock, not an all day range gun but with the right ammo (and i do not need +P) not at all hard to control. It also helps that i put a Wilson Combat trigger spring kit in it which really lightens up and smooths out the trigger. I probably have a thousand rounds thru it with zero issues. Thing still looks NIB.
They are hard to find these days, but they are out there, and IMO they are the ultimate carry/pocket revolver. If you can find one jump on it.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Had a Ruger LCR in .38 for a while, carried in the back pocket for about a year. The only thing I didn't care for is the triggers long pull and reset.

You have to let that trigger all the way out, unlike a small semi auto so it takes some getting used to, however it was light and fit right into my back pocket...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post