SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    West German 226 has markings on left side milled off
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

West German 226 has markings on left side milled off Login/Join 
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted
My friend bought a west german 226 dated KB. However on the left side the spot were mine has sig sauer, there is a milled line with sig sauer under it. It was refinished after the milling. the slide does not have the matching number along with the frame and barrel.

what was originally there? why was it milled off? and does it effect the collectabilityvalue of the pistol in any way?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Just a WAG, but it's been modified and refinished, so it's value as a 'collectible' is at best deminished, unless you find someone who collects such things (not likely).

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
When Sig came out with the red box CPO's many of them were like this. It was theorized that Sig was mixing and matching slides and frames of trade in guns in order to make a good one and simply milled the SN off of the slide so there wouldn't be a mis-match.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a parts P226, maybe a CPO, where they milled out the serial number on the slide.

Posts: 9743 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
but the serial number would have been on the other side of the slide!?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
Maybe it had police department markings and they had to be removed?

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The police trade in P7s used to have milled areas where markings used to be. Probably a similar thing.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Syngin1066:
Maybe it had police department markings and they had to be removed?

I would say this

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
The police trade in P7s used to have milled areas where markings used to be. Probably a similar thing.

That was the supposition I got for my CPO, although the milled area on mine is on the right side.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
^^^^
They did that to remove the old SN (which for German pistols is on the slide, frame, and barrel).

To cut down on confusion with two different SNs, they milled them off the slide.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the milled area is on the left side where the Sig marking is at. The serial number would have been on the right side and is not present at all on the slide

War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
My CPO 228 had both sides of the slide milled down to remove all markings, then SIG re-rollmarked and refinished it (almost a parkerizing). Nothing on the right side - everything was rollmarked on the left. Go figure...
(KA Slide, 1997-98 frame)

Posts: 12541 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post