SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    CZ-75 SP01 Followup Report 2.5 pounds of AWESOME!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ-75 SP01 Followup Report 2.5 pounds of AWESOME!! Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
About a year and a half ago I was in a crappy mood and needed to go to my safe space. Twenty minutes later I was walking out of the gun store with a CZ-75 SP01 that I had bought on impulse. You didn't see many of these locally and the price was right and............and.....don't judge me its my safe space dammit!! Big Grin

Anyway I gave my initial thoughts back then and thought I would check back in.

Now as always I must preface by saying I am none of the following....
-LEO
-SWAT team member
-Secret Squirrel
-OGA Assassin
-Meat eating, tango popping, beard having special operations fast roper.
-Scout leader

Nor did I spend the night in a Holiday Inn Express shoot house last night. I am a high drag, low speed hobbyist who knows a little about a lot and a lot about a little. My moral code has a pesky provision about never wanting to harm anything that had a mom so I don't tend to look at my firearms primarily as WEAPONS.

So with that out of the way....

I am happy to report the SP01 is still all kinds of AWESOME. It's like wielding Perun's Hammer, so to speak. ;D.

I have run all kinds of ammo through it with not one issue. Hollowpoints, +P, 115 grain target grade stuff and it never misses a beat. I will say I have not run any steel cased as I tend to avoid that stuff in general unless its going in something Russian, designed for peasants.

Shooting the SP01 is sublime. Its almost cheating frankly. The weight, the ergonomics of the grip, decent trigger, low bore axis all come together to make the most inept look fairly passable. I should know because I am inept and I can do this without any real thought.

So long story, still long I have found the CZ-75 SP01 to be a pretty amazing pistol. If you find yourself in need a of pistol to repel boarders, that holds damn near a box of ammo and shoots like a .22 magnum you could do a helluva lot worse. If you have a need for a gun that makes you feel like a superstar at the range....I think you could do a whole lot worse.

A whole generation of shooters have grown up with tactical tupperware. Lightweight plastic guns spooged out into all kinds of shapes, sizes and colors. These guns are all fantastic and I have nothing against pragmatic plastic but if you have never picked up and shot a full size all steel pistol, do yourself a favor and skip the next Glock model that gets easy baked out and make your next purchase something that is quickly falling into the lost reaches of time, I think you will be happy you did.

Take care and shoot safe,
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice target!! I'm loving mine but haven't shot on paper yet - only steel.

Are your sights stock? I think I'll do sights and maybe action stuff before I look into grips.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
love my CZs. I'm looking at the new polymer framed SP01 for late XMAS present to myself.

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seriously considering one of these because.... Well, just because Wink!!

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
I don’t carry mine very much, but it is a lot of fun at the range.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are your sights stock?

The gun is full stock except for the grips.

quote:
I don’t carry mine very much,...

Well Sherpa's make pretty good money and frankly you'd need one to EDC this hunk of steel. I don't even have a holster for these things, I just figure if I ever need to......I'll use a sling. :P

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please tell me about the grips!

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:

Those look like VZ Grips to me. I’ve had a few sets made by them and they’re awesome.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delong31
posted Hide Post
Took my new all-steel P01, compact version of OP’s pistol, out to the range today so now I can speak from experience to say the OP is right.

These pistols are awesome.

Posts: 88 | Location: DFW | Registered: June 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:

They are Cool Hand Grips. I actually have another set on a P01 and others on a Beretta 92A1 and Beretta 92FS compact. I have been very happy with them. They are G10 grips similar to VZ/LOK/HOGUE etc.

I also have VZ and HOGUE grips. I will say that the HOGUE grips seem to be the best overall quality. (I have them on SIGs) but I have no complaints about VZ or these Cool Hand's.

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Hard to believe that I've had my SP-01 Tactical for seven years now; how time flies when it's fun as hell.

At first I whined about how gritty the trigger was (and frankly still is), then I just shot the damn thing as if it didn't matter and guess what? It doesn't matter. The Beast just puts dem lil' boolits where I want 'em to go. I've tried a couple of different G10 grips but I keep coming back to the original factory rubbers. After a few hundred rounds I get the same wear spot on the left side of the trigger as jackimoe's SP-01, but a brief session with a B-C Permablue pen covers it right up again for the next couple hundred rounds or so. Only change I've done and kept is dropping the mainspring weight by 1 lb.

It's been one heck of a great gun.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:

They are Cool Hand Grips. I actually have another set on a P01 and others on a Beretta 92A1 and Beretta 92FS compact. I have been very happy with them. They are G10 grips similar to VZ/LOK/HOGUE etc.

I also have VZ and HOGUE grips. I will say that the HOGUE grips seem to be the best overall quality. (I have them on SIGs) but I have no complaints about VZ or these Cool Hand's.

Thanks! They look great!! I have a few sets of Hogue G10s on my SIGs and VZs on my LTT and WC Berettas and really like them. However in checking out an SP01 at my local shop the stock robber grips seem to be part of the whole great feeling ergos set up that I am not sure if I would change them out.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
"do yourself a favor and skip the next Glock model that gets easy baked out and make your next purchase something that is quickly falling into the lost reaches of time'

There is a whole lot of win in that statement.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The SP01 tactical is a beast. I agree that it is one of the best steel 9mm pistols on the market today. The only issue I have with it is that it is just too heavy for me at 40.5 ounces to carry comfortably in FL.

If any of you search under the couch cushions and find some spare coin, the polymer cousin of the SP01 tactical can be had for historically cheap prices right now. Some vendors have been selling the Sp01 Phantom for as low as 429.99 (includng shipping).

As much as I dig the standard SP01 tactical, the SP01 Phantom (which is the standard sidearm of the Czech army, by the way) balances just as well in my hand and is just as shootable. The Phantom was updated in 2017 and uses the newer polymers from the P07/P09/P10 line of pistols. It is close to 11 ounces lighter than the steel frame SP01 at 29.4 ounces, is same size as the SP01 Tactical, and has swappable backstraps for the grip. I found that with the thinnest backstrap, the Phantom points better for me than any other pistol with the exception of the PCR.

I am currently in the process of trying to track down a kydex holster for the phantom that approximates the comp tac flatline that I use to carry my G17.

I think the biggest problem with CZ pistols is that they tend to multiply. CZ makes a fine product and there has never been more aftermarket parts and support than are available at present. We are in the middle of a golden age for CZ goodness.

Posts: 712 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting! I had an SP-01 Tactical and it was definitely an awesome pistol, but after I bought my matte stainless CZ 75B full size, I felt it just balanced better for me and was equally as awesome so I sold the SP-01 in order to fund a different purchase at the time. I did keep the extra SP-01 mags though which work equally well in the 75. There is no doubt though that the weight and design made it one of the softest shooting 9mm I've ever fired (P226 Stainless Elite being neck and neck) and pointed well even with the extra weight. I would not discount the possiblity of my getting another one in the future, but more likely I would save up for one of the Shadows. There is no doubt with the tank-like construction of the SP-01 that it would easily weather most things asked of it such as a blunt force weapon, meat tenderizer, boat anchor, nail driver (in more ways than one), or even chocking the wheels on a large aircraft. Cool

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Now with 100% more weapon light. Smile

I went to TLR-7s for all my primary guns so I had two older TLR-1s that went PERFECTLY on my backup HD guns. I like having light available no matter what.

Yes that area of the trigger wears on my CZs. Easy to touch up if desired though.

The Constable
posted Hide Post
Bought an SP-01 a few years back, then sent it to Cajun Gun Works for a trigger tune, tighter barrel bushing and new sights. What I got back was more fun to shoot than either of my 1st Gen, X-5 SIG's.
Which really amazed me! I just seem to be faster and more accurate with it. Win/Win.

What I'm saying is think of an upgrade by Cajun or CZ Custom shop. It truly transforms the Standard models into something very special.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’ll second the CGW idea. I have a P01 and Rami that they built. Very nice work.. I’d like to send my SP01 to them someday.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post