SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    First Sig - German made P225?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Sig - German made P225? Login/Join 
posted
Hi all,

I finally joined the Sig club with a P225. I'm brand new to this, so I'm trying to understand exactly what I have. The serial number is M6534xx. It has German proof marks on the barrel (AD, Eagle N, Kiel), the frame (Eagle N after the serial number) and on the "chin" of the slide (Eagle N). The date code, AD, I believe designates 2003. The ejection port side of the slide is marked MADE IN GERMANY and P225. The other side is marked SIG SAUER and SIGARMS INC, EXETER-NH.

The slide and barrel, however, do not have the serial number. "SIG SAUER" is stamped on the side of the barrel opposite the ejection port.

It also came with 3 magazines, 2 marked "Sig Sauer" on the body, and one marked "P6 9mm X 19" on the floorplate.

So, even though this appears to be a 2003 pistol, is it German manufactured and assembled? The limited reading I've done leaves me somewhat unsure.

On the bright side, I ran 100 rounds of mixed FMJ and Speer 124g Gold Dot through it with no problems. It's clearly a well made pistol and a blast to shoot.

Thanks!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/...93@N07/shares/monEr2

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SlimeDog,

Posts: 6 | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Others more knowledgable than I will be along to address the heritage of your P225. I would only say that you've started out with what many would consider the epitome of Sig Sauer design. Enjoy!
Jerry

Posts: 158 | Location: Oregon | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Slimedog. You might get a little more information if you put a bit more information in the thread title - something like "odd proof marks on a 225", for example.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
This is consistent with other P225s of this era. I've seen a couple of them like this. Also, look at the serial # thread, which points to the same characteristics.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the purchase as they are great pistols.

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 9186 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great choice. For me, the P225 is the quintessential Sig pistol to own. Very aesthetically pleasing and handling.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My guess is your 225 is German. But Sig has been known assemble German made parts here in the US.
But someone with more knowledge on that topic will probably weigh in.
You will find many fans of 225 / P6 here on SF and a wealth of knowledge on the gun. I am so addicted to the 225 I now own 3.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on a great pistol.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I suppose I should add some more detail to the subject line...

It seems that magazines are pretty tough to find. I've read a few old threads on remaining sources (top gun supply, aim, etc.) but they are out of stock. Is eBay the only option?

Too bad Mecgar doesn't make them.

Again, thanks to for the replies.

posted Hide Post
Cdnnsports.com will sometimes find a batch of P225 mags for sale, but none right now.

Gunbroker.com is usually a better source than ebay for these things. Try searching for both "P225 magazine" and "P6 magazine"...you'll probably find more used surplus police "P6" mags than "P225" mags these days and usually cheaper.

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your"new" P225. I have a P6 that was new unfired in the box with magazines still in the wrapper, that is until I bought it. I kept it unfired for three months and I just had to shoot the SIG goodness.

I'm a Glock guy at heart, but I love me some SIG's. The P 226/P6 and the P 220 being my favorite flavors.

The P6 is a joy to carry and shoot. Mine is very accurate and has been reliable. Boringly reliable. My only complaint is that the trigger is a little heavy in double action, but at speed, barely noticeable.

To me, it is almost the perfect carry pistol in size and capacity. Not too big. Not too small, thin and light. Just about everything that you could ask for.

Enjoy your "new" P225. It's a great pistol.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure that your P225 is German-made. The lack of triple serial numbers does not preclude a pistol from being made in Germany. The presence of German proof marks and consistent date code (AD on barrel and slide chin?) would almost guarantee its German origins.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply! The only mark on the slide chin is the Eagle N.

In the "Sig Sauer Classic P-Series" serial number thread on this forum, M6534xx is consistent with a 2003 pistol, so the barrel date code and frame are in harmony.

posted Hide Post
Another question for the gunsmith types here. If you look at the pictures of my pistol, you can see what appears to be small areas of corrosion along the cocking serrations of the slide. I've hit it with a nylon brush and solvent to no avail. Any suggestions on removing or, at least, stopping it? Thanks!

posted Hide Post
As suggested above, I looked on Gunbroker for OEM magazines. Does anyone have any experience with this vendor? Seems like a fair price:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/701164867

Thanks again for all the replies.

posted Hide Post
I bought six from them a few weeks ago. They were in good/very good condition just as described. I plan on placing another order, so obviously I recommend them.

The same seller is recommended in this excellent write up on the P6:

https://www.realgunreviews.com...-german-bargain-now/

quote:
Originally posted by SlimeDog:
As suggested above, I looked on Gunbroker for OEM magazines. Does anyone have any experience with this vendor? Seems like a fair price:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/701164867

Thanks again for all the replies.

Posts: 29 | Registered: September 09, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd say that based on the "Eagle over N" on barrel, slide and frame makes it completely made, assembled and proofed in Germany.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call Patrick Hughes at Brass and Bullets 423-430-8340
Used but excellent condition P6/P225 magazines for $24 shipped

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the good advice and knowledge!