SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Finally got a 3rd gen Smith
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally got a 3rd gen Smith Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
I have wanted a 9mm 3rd gen Smith and Wesson for a long time now, but I could never find one online that wasn’t beat to hell, and don’t run into them much at my LGS in the used counter. I was going back and forth between a few models, mainly the 3913 or the 6906, but yesterday at the local gun show I picked up a 5906 and immediately loved the feel. It is much more comfortable than I suspected and points very well. In my opinion the beaver tail and slight undercut of the trigger guard, coupled with the wrap around thin grip all really make it melt in the hand. Trigger seems decent, but dang that reset! It has to be still one of the shortest resets out there even today!

After looking it over, it has some scuffs, but it’s very clean and has been pretty well taken care of over the last 20-30 years. I’m not sure if the sights are factory original, as they are MMC and not the standard large winged adjustable or lower profile Novak styles found on these models. Funny I found this rear sight is usually found on the 45 cal variant so maybe someone switched it out? I don’t know. They are night sights, dead of course, but the sight picture is still pretty good. I’ve been told there is decent aftermarket sight support for these 5906 models as they were pretty standard issue for LEOs in the 90’s.

Anyway I’m stoked, picked it up for a good price and now I just need to find another mag or two.

Anyone have a 5906? Do you like it?

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warbird1
posted Hide Post
Good find. I'm a fan of the 3rd gens also.

If I want it... I need it !

Posts: 44 | Location: Heart of Dixie | Registered: May 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Good things come to those who wait! And look for a long time... nice score!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a nice find

The MMC sight is not factory original. That pistol left Smith & Wesson with fixed sights.

That was the entire reason for the MMC sight, it fit into the fixed sight dovetail

I have always been a fan of the MMC sight, I thought it was much more graceful look than the big Elephant Ears that Smith & Wesson put around their adjustable sights

My 559 has had the yellow insert added to the front sight and was wearing these carved Ivory grips for a little while.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I've been eyeballing 3rd gen Smith and Wessons for many years.
Several years ago, I bought a 4013 TSW (back when I had a waiting period).
When I went to pick it up from the LGS, a nickel 40cal P229 caught my eye and I ended up swapping them before I left.
But ever since, I've still wanted a Gen 3 S&W, prefer a DAO.

Posts: 4359 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If owned only one S&W auto, it should be a 3rd gen, and you can hardly do better than the 5906. I love mine.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15554 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Smile

I carry a 3rd gen everyday. And have for many years. Today it is my 4513TSW. Great pistols! Enjoy yours! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the 5906TSW and the CHP 4006TSW. The triggers are great and the reset is fantastic. I continue to check the auction sites for a 539 and 639. Great addition to your collection.

Posts: 465 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Still have my old MT Hwy Patrol issue 5903. We carried them for several years before the SIG 229's showed up.

They were rock solid pistols. I was one of the Armorers....we did VERY little repair.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I carried S&W 669/6906, and CS9 for duty for about 16 years. They are a fine dependable and very accurate pistol. They were eventually replaced with SIG P226's, but I still would stake my life on a Gen 3 S&W in a pinch

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments guys, it is clear these have a following that’s for sure. I figured about the sights. I’ll keep the MMC in there for now probably. That model above with the Ivory grips is beautiful!

posted Hide Post
Sweet gun, I really like both my 659 and 459.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cxm
posted Hide Post
Summit Gun Broker has police trade in 59xx series magazines in stock at pretty reasonable prices.

www.summitgunbroker.com

Mec-Gar also makes a 59xx series magazine which is top quality but only in blue.

You can get good prices on Mec-Gar from http://gregcotellc.com/ Gun Mag Warehouse https://gunmagwarehouse.com/ also has good prices on Mec-Gar mags.

I think S&W also still offers the mags new...

FWIW

CHuck

quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
I have wanted a 9mm 3rd gen Smith and Wesson for a long time now, but I could never find one online that wasn’t beat to hell, and don’t run into them much at my LGS in the used counter. I was going back and forth between a few models, mainly the 3913 or the 6906, but yesterday at the local gun show I picked up a 5906 and immediately loved the feel. It is much more comfortable than I suspected and points very well. In my opinion the beaver tail and slight undercut of the trigger guard, coupled with the wrap around thin grip all really make it melt in the hand. Trigger seems decent, but dang that reset! It has to be still one of the shortest resets out there even today!

After looking it over, it has some scuffs, but it’s very clean and has been pretty well taken care of over the last 20-30 years. I’m not sure if the sights are factory original, as they are MMC and not the standard large winged adjustable or lower profile Novak styles found on these models. Funny I found this rear sight is usually found on the 45 cal variant so maybe someone switched it out? I don’t know. They are night sights, dead of course, but the sight picture is still pretty good. I’ve been told there is decent aftermarket sight support for these 5906 models as they were pretty standard issue for LEOs in the 90’s.

Anyway I’m stoked, picked it up for a good price and now I just need to find another mag or two.

Anyone have a 5906? Do you like it?

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag that Bears the Single Star!!!

Certified SIG Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer

Posts: 1348 | Location: Florida, CSA | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I currently have two. A 2nd Gen 659 and a 3rd Gen 4054 (only 154 made).

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got on a S&W 3rd Gen kick a few years ago when I was living in Virginia. The area was just lousy with them at low prices. The double stacks were great shooters but just too bulky for me so I sold them (5906 and a couple of 5946s). I really like the single stack 3rd gens though. I toy with selling a few of them but I think for the prices I’d get it’s better to just keep them. I've still got these: CS9D, 3906, 3953, 457D

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on finding a nice 3rd gen.
I think they are the pinnacle of the series.
And the best-looking of the bunch.

I recently acquired a nice 5906 as well.
It has the rounded trigger guard and the OEM Novak sights.

I was able to get my Search-Foo all jacked up and found :
Warren Tactical fiber optic front sight
5 additional OEM mags
Extra mag base plates
NOS barrel
NOS straight grip
NOS palm swell grip

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Picked it up today at my FFL. It even came with a holster, made by smith and Wesson.

3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
That is a nice 5906. From the MIM trigger and hammer, and serial number, I would guess yours is late '90s production. I would view the MMC adjustables as a plus, since using your preferred ammo, you can actually zero your pistol to the POA/POI you prefer. My 5906s have been boringly reliable.

BTW, Is that a small "U" stamped above the magazine release? I had a couple S&Ws with a small U stamped on them somewhere. I called S&W customer service about them. S&W advised that the U indicted the gun may have been a salesman's sample, used in the armorers school etc.They also said that such guns met full commercial standards.

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rock185:
That is a nice 5906. From the MIM trigger and hammer, and serial number, I would guess yours is late '90s production. I would view the MMC adjustables as a plus, since using your preferred ammo, you can actually zero your pistol to the POA/POI you prefer. My 5906s have been boringly reliable.

BTW, Is that a small "U" stamped above the magazine release? I had a couple S&Ws with a small U stamped on them somewhere. I called S&W customer service about them. S&W advised that the U indicted the gun may have been a salesman's sample, used in the armorers school etc.They also said that such guns met full commercial standards.

Yeah it’s a U stamp. Not sure the history on it other than I was told a cop carried it for a while before he traded it. Does the U make it less desirable? Not sure if I’d want a dealer sample or one that has been dry fired and taken apart completely many times.