SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    p226 x5 sights

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
p226 x5 sights Login/Join 
posted
Hi,
I have a p226 X5 9mm made in Germany and I am looking at installing Adjustable combat sights,I see that the new Dark Elite use's this type of set up, Has anyone had any experience with this or similar type of sights ? Brownells do not stock this sight and the only one I could find is with a store that will not ship to Australia (Midway USA has one in stock price US $100) I wish to get hold of a sight that has the body of the sight forward of the dovetail so it wont' hang off the rear of the slide.
This sight looks like a Mil Spec Monkey unit.
Thanks for any information.
Tezza

posted Hide Post
Just to be clear, do you have a Short and Smart X5 with the 4.4 inch barrel or non-railed X5 tactical? If so the Meprolight ML-20110 set should fit. The other X5 5 inch barrel models don't have a rear dovetail I think. Its plate held on with a pivot pin and screw. They are are all made by LPA in Italy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dcpd,

Posts: 25 | Location: North Texas | Registered: August 09, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks dcpd,
It is a 5" x5 tac .
It came with fixed sights and I put an LPA rear sight that works without changing the front sight.
It works well and I like the sight picture but it has the body of the sight back from the wedge that enters the dovetail, it hangs off the rear of the slide and looks odd,It looks like it could be damaged if dropped or bumped and I would like to change it.
I have researched the web and I like the Sig lite adjustable combat sights,Mil spec monkey seem to be the same as the sights used on the new elite dark. It has protective sides and sits forward of the dovetail, nice looking unit.
There are x5 sigs that have the sight you mention with the plate and pivot pin this one is the base model and has the dove tail fixed sight.
I'll keep looking, cheers

Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
A couple of things about the dark elite sights you want to use.

One, the rear sight may not fit in the dovetail cut in your slide. SIG used a non-standard, deeper cut to install these sights.

Two, there have been a number of reports on the forum of these sights not holding their adjustment point. The quality of these sights is a bit suspect. I removed the adjustable rear sight on my dark elite and installed a fixed sight.

The LPA you have may not look good, but it works better than the one you're considering.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks 2Adefender,
Think you might be right.
I shot the X5 last night and the sights do work very well, I'll be leaving it alone.
I asked for information and now I will follow your advice and leave well enough alone, simple as that.
Cheers
Tezza