SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 kabooms. After a quick parts swap, back in action
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 kabooms. After a quick parts swap, back in action Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted
Searched, didn't see this posted before, so...

The kaboom was from a double charge, so not the gun's fault. The incident displays another advantage of the P320's modularity.

Pictures at link

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/...blows-keeps-working/

P320 Blows Up But Keeps On Working

A friend shared this with me. Upon his request he wishes to remain anonymous. He witnessed a catastrophic malfunction with someone’s Sig P320 Tacops.

"It was a box stock SIG P320 Tac Ops. The ammo was reloaded and was believed to be a double charge because of the amount of brass flow "

Now the ammo in question was reloaded on a Dillon 1050 and the reloader says he is diligent in his reloading processes. Murphy finds a way apparently.

The amazing thing is that the shooter was not seriously hurt but also they swapped the internals into another grip module and the gun continued to work.

I took a set of Digital calipers measure the barrel chamber the fire control unit which by the way was completely unharmed put a different group. Had to replace the extractor and all other components in the slide just to be on the safe side and ran about 35 rounds through it

Damage to the gun was obviously the Plastic Grip Panel, the extractor was sent into orbit. the shooter had one piece of brass in the top of his strong finger ( from ejection port, and something cut his upper lip) ( he WAS wearing eye protection) the magazine was not harmed. The gun was detail stripped and the Extractor, and all parts in the slide were replaced as a precaution. The Fire control unit was inspected and cleaned then placed in a new grip module.

Accuracy has been tested as well and not effected.

Pretty amazing that the gun still works! Is this a testament to Sig Sauer build quality? Or a one in a million chance that everything went well as much as possible?

And in case you might think this is an isolated issue, I have different source, who also wishes to remain anonymous, also experienced something similar.

My daughter had a factory double charge go off in her p320. Besides scarring the hell out of her she was fine. She actually finished the match with that gun.
I put a new extractor in, changed the grip, fired 200 rounds real quick to function check.
She is still shooting the same gun to this day. Only thing that was changed was the frame & extractor. This was 7months & about 10,000 rounds later. With same fcu, striker, slide, extractor spring.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fascinating.
We have at least an idiot resistant gun even though not completely fool proof.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW!! That is amazing! IMHO the P320 is an excellent design, and I feel even more strongly about that opinion having seen this.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrojanX4
posted Hide Post
Pretty amazing how resilient the P320 is. I too am even more impressed after hearing these stories.

Posts: 1874 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe I have seen 3 P320s that were blown with double charges. All were operable with no damage other than the grip module. The only exception was one or two had the extractor get blown out of the gun which is extremely common in that scenario, but worked once a new extractor was dropped in place.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3504 | Registered: September 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
"Brass flow"

Got to admit that is a new term to me. Anybody got an easy definition to explan it?

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4133 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post