SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Gripping the Upgraded P320
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gripping the Upgraded P320 Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted
After putting half a box of ammo through my upgraded P320 in a nice small group but about 4-5 inches west of center at 10 yards, I couldn't figure out what was wrong. They couldn't have messed with the sights....

I started experimenting and finally hit on something. The upgraded P320 seems to have a tiny bit shorter (but not much) trigger reach. Because I tend to over-reach with my trigger finger to begin with and usually place my support hand (left) thumb over my right thumb for stability, I'm getting a left turn I didn't have before.

I changed my left support hand to "thumb forward" underneath my right thumb and made sure I put only the pad of my right index finger on the trigger.

Much better. Now I gotta repeat repeat repeat to build up a new muscle memory.

Anybody else have this issue?

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I think you need to work on your trigger pull rather than compensating for it.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
Personally, I think you need to work on your trigger pull rather than compensating for it.

Not doubting your advice, but asking an honest question: Doesn't working on your hand position and finger placement count as part of working on your trigger pull?

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did not appreciate any difference in trigger reach of my modified P320 when I compared it carefully to my unmodified P320.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toivo:
quote:

Not doubting your advice, but asking an honest question: Doesn't working on your hand position and finger placement count as part of working on your trigger pull?

That's a fair question that I'm going to answer with a question. Do you want to be good with only one specific pistol while using two hands, or do you want to be able to shoot any pistol you pick up (relatively) equally well?

If you want to just be really good with one pistol, by all means figure out the exact formula of grip and finger placement and stance and whatever you need to accomplish that.

I'm of the opinion that repeatability is key. If you have to do special tweaks to get things just right, what are the chances you'll do that when under pressure? Do you ever do draw drills? What do you do when you fumble the draw a bit? You don't get a perfect grip or whatever. Do you continue to the shot or do you abort and re-holster? Personally, I follow through. There may be differing thoughts on this. Some may think I'm messing with muscle memory and doing myself a disservice and should do 5 extra dry runs to make sure I get it right. I think that I may not get a perfect draw stroke under pressure and want to be able to stay in the fight.

My point is, if you can work on isolating your finger movement instead of compensating for poor trigger press, you will become a much better shooter overall.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grip should remain the same. The only difference should be the amount of travel when you prep the trigger.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's a fair question that I'm going to answer with a question. Do you want to be good with only one specific pistol while using two hands, or do you want to be able to shoot any pistol you pick up (relatively) equally well?

[...]

My point is, if you can work on isolating your finger movement instead of compensating for poor trigger press, you will become a much better shooter overall.

Thank you for a very clear and logical response.

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

If you want to just be really good with one pistol, by all means figure out the exact formula of grip and finger placement and stance and whatever you need to accomplish that.

I'm of the opinion that repeatability is key. If you have to do special tweaks to get things just right, what are the chances you'll do that when under pressure? Do you ever do draw drills? What do you do when you fumble the draw a bit? You don't get a perfect grip or whatever. Do you continue to the shot or do you abort and re-holster? Personally, I follow through. There may be differing thoughts on this. Some may think I'm messing with muscle memory and doing myself a disservice and should do 5 extra dry runs to make sure I get it right. I think that I may not get a perfect draw stroke under pressure and want to be able to stay in the fight.

That reads like great advice. Very well put.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
I guess I should have included one point in my original post that will probably make the issue a little clearer.

I have both Compact and Subcompact grip frames. When I first got my upgraded P320C back, I put a box of ammo through using the Compact frame and got good accuracy. This past week, I put the upgraded FCU in my Subcompact grip because it conceals better for off-duty. It was then that I ran into the issue of "going left." With the original FCU, accuracy was pretty much the same regardless of which grip frame I used.

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Snoris, Maybe I am misreading your original post. Normally, rounds hitting to the left of POA means there is too little finger on the trigger, and shots hitting to the right of POA means there is too much finger on the trigger. Of course, thumb placement may affect POI, but I would think how much finger is put into the trigger guard would be the main determiner

Posts: 76 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: May 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post