SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Night Sights and My Personal Observations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Night Sights and My Personal Observations Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
What if the nightmare scenario of an attacker or thief in your house at night happened, suppose you engage and the “attack” continues outside?... or your forced to chase them out of your house? It truly is dark outside, not so much inside with lights on.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
What if the nightmare scenario of an attacker or thief in your house at night happened, suppose you engage and the “attack” continues outside?... or your forced to chase them out of your house? It truly is dark outside, not so much inside with lights on.

Why would you follow them outside???

Sorry not my job to play po-leeece with home invaders and chase them around the neighborhood in my skivvies. And certainly not going to chase a thief. There’s a 1000 different reasons why that is a bad idea, and double that ways to get yourself killled in the process. Cops chase people al the time with proper equipment, to include a radio. And there’s still a lot of risk.

The what if’s are fun but that is a bad idea all the way around.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Was doing a budget request for next year to replace all our guns and they kept asking what do we need night sights for and that it’s never totally dark out. They also questioned WMLs. I took a council member into an abandoned warehouse and said go in there and get the bad guy who just shot someone.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:

Sorry not my job to play po-leeece with home invaders and chase them around the neighborhood in my skivvies. And certainly not going to chase a thief. There’s a 1000 different reasons why that is a bad idea, and double that ways to get yourself killled in the process. Cops chase people al the time with proper equipment, to include a radio. And there’s still a lot of risk.

There’s a 1000 reasons to prepare for the unscripted is my point. I never suggested a street chase.

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:

There’s a 1000 reasons to prepare for the unscripted is my point. I never suggested a street chase.

Nice. But you didn’t answer the question. Why would you ever chase someone out into the yard on a home invasion, or worse, a theft? That isn’t unscripted, it is just plain dumb.

If you were rolling around in the living room and spilled out into the yard, you would not need a light or night sights. The guy fighting you is the one you should probably shoot. The necessity for night sights or lights means you are either in search mode or pursuit, and neither are a good idea.

I get that people want to invent “what if’s” to try to convince of their points, but night sights or no night sights, lights or no lights, bad tactics are just that. No amounts of lights or night sights will save you.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I mainly use nightsights to find my pistol on the night stand....

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
It was just a suggestion JLjones... don’t get so worked up over it.

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I have night sights on my bedside home defense gun, as well as all of my CCW pistols. Most attacks occur in dimly lit situations, I will take every advantage that fits my situation.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of socom308
posted Hide Post
I've been a fan of night sights on defensive handguns for years. I've done quite a bit of low light shooting, with and without a hand held light, and can say that if it's low light and no HHL is around, night sights are a tremendous advantage.

As I get older, I find I cannot shoot night sights as well in brightly lit situations. I have run a thin blade fiber optic sight up front with a black serrated rear with a notch that is wider than the front blade width. This combination works like a charm for me in daylight but is of course, not useful in low light without a hand held or weapon mounted light. With a light, this combination works fine.

I don't consider the .223 to be a true sniper round however, if I was shot in the head with one, I'd probably stop thinking that.

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." Winston Churchill

Posts: 621 | Location: MA | Registered: December 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of the 3 pistols I carry and then put on the nightstand when I go to bed, only one doesn't have night sights. I find them valuable especially where I live because there are no street lights. When I turn off the lights in the house, it's dark.
I do have a nice light that's on the nightstand and wouldn't think of just shooting without identification.
I do see contrast sights better than night sights in the daytime but not enough to really affect anything.
After the incident I was involved in at my business last year, I have added additional lighting and cameras. The parking lot is well lit now and night sights are not really necessary but I still won't swap them out for contrast sights.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post