SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Night Sights and My Personal Observations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Night Sights and My Personal Observations Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So I have tritium on most of my serious social firearms as well as a light source.

That being said I just realized how much light we have at all times in our house. Not sure why I randomly thought of this but our house always has plenty of light unless it is a bedroom at night.

I am not suddenly discounting nights or a light source just coming to the realization that in my house barring a power outage I have plenty of light 24/7.

No idea why this popped into my head.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Many of us have the...opportunities...to use our night sights in uncontrolled environments during +/-12 hours of darkness all winter.

I'll keep mine Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
Occasionally during the late evening or early morning hours I'll encounter a group of wild hogs. They are nothing like the threats like Chongo faces, but I still like having night sights there in case they are needed.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Night sights aren't only useful in total darkness. They are still visible in lower levels of light, for example, an unlit or dimly lit room, on a lighted street at night, at dawn or dusk. All we are looking for is for the sights to stand out from the background, like DRLs on your car. I want them on all my guns. Take every advantage you can get.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe they are the one "must have" on any carry gun. My big complaint with Sig and Glock:
Night sights are not standard on all their pistols.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I've noticed that a blacked out rear and fiber optic front sight are just as visible as tritiums when using any light (which I do) and they are way better when it's light out.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I have both night sights and weaponlights on all my handguns for serious use.

But if I had to have one or the other, I'd take the light. I think it's the more important/useful of the two.

Standard sights are still usable in the dark when used in conjunction with a light. And the glow of night sights tends to get washed/blacked out when used with a bright light, especially indoors, which renders a sight picture just like standard sights anyway.

In addition, it doesn't do you much good to see your sights if you can't see or fully identify your target.

However, there are certain scenarios where it is helpful to have both.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I wasn’t saying I’d ditch them. I was just making the observation that my home is well lit 24/7 and it kind of surprised me. Kind of a forest for the trees moment if you will. Smile

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the weapon light (or handheld) is more important. Also, they can be useful in varied lighting conditions where perhaps you can see the target but not the sights against their dark clothing.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I'll keep mine Wink

Me too.

Too many possible/probable scenarios to list to where night sights are a must. Up to and including seeing them on the night stand when you wake up.

I am pleased, however, that the "night sights will give your position away to Charlie" crowd has lost some steam.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any fancy sights (night sights, RDS, laser) are useless unless you can positively identify your target. If you had to choose between tritium sights or a good handheld/WML, the light should be first priority.

Generally, you won’t see a strong tritium glow under low light conditions where you still have enough light to make a positive identification. When it is dark enough to see a bright tritium glow, it’s usually too dark to be able to clearly identify who or what you’re lining up sights on. That being said, there are transitional lighting situations where tritium can be useful but they’re probably not as common as people think. If you can identify the target, you can usually still see sight outlines and obtain a reasonable sight picture.

Try it in your house - take the slide off and at different times of day/lighting conditions/locations, see for yourself what kind of situations exist where you can still make out a good sight picture AND still identify your target.

Posts: 820 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought my own night sights 2k years ago it is a good thing. I have interviewed two officers who were involved in shootings that occured in poor or no light conditions. Both officers stated the glowing front sight was important for knowing where the shots would be placed. To rely on a place, condition or weather to favor you in any dynamic event is call hope and we all know what hope means... VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
But if I had to have one or the other, I'd take the light. I think it's the more important/useful of the two.

Standard sights are still usable in the dark when used in conjunction with a light. And the glow of night sights tends to get washed/blacked out when used with a bright light, especially indoors, which renders a sight picture just like standard sights anyway.

In addition, it doesn't do you much good to see your sights if you can't see or fully identify your target.

However, there are certain scenarios where it is helpful to have both.

This. Especially the "see or fully identify your target" part.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
This. Especially the "see or fully identify your target" part.

You know, I really guess that my view of things are so much different. Cause I can think of more uses for night sights than lights.

A bump in the night downstairs at my house lends most people to view themselves in that situation to be a member of DevGru looking for the Tango bad guy. Me? I'm going to hide in a dark position and shoot him when he comes into the light. Thus, the night sights are far more valuable on a pistol. The only way a light is more valuable is if I am actively hunting someone at work. Aside from that, the night sights never have batteries that go dead, LEDs that eventually blow, and are always there for me.

But, its not an all or none conversation. Night Sights are equally as valuable.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
And I find it hard to believe that someone who can afford a $300 (new S&W Shield, used G32) to $500 (new S&W MP / Glocks) pistol couldn't possibly afford $50 for a Surefire G2X AND $70-80 for some sort of night sights. They would just die of hunger if they tried. Wink

So I see the "If you could only have one" as another forum instance of a dog chasing it's tail.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Are there seriously folks who thought night sights would give away “your position”????? REALLY????

So if I put night sights on my Garand the combination of the sights and the PING would be a veritable death wish. Razz
Sigh.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I'll keep mine Wink

Me too.

Too many possible/probable scenarios to list to where night sights are a must. Up to and including seeing them on the night stand when you wake up.

I am pleased, however, that the "night sights will give your position away to Charlie" crowd has lost some steam.

They are still around, just quiet.

Mention a laser and it will be the 4th of July Big Grin

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Photoman
posted Hide Post
The problem I have with night sights is that, under normal lighted conditions and with my old eyes, regular contrast sights are MUCH easier to see than night sights.

+++

Posts: 1561 | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always considered them to be something to be used in tandem with a light not one or the other. Definitely something I will not skip on anything close to a serious pistol. There are definitely times I'd want night sights and no light but the light has become a must as well.

Especially during this season I find theres a ton more ambient light around 24/7. Maybe my neighbors and I all have Clark Griswold houses.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post