SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    NOT - Going to send my 365XL back for FTFeed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NOT - Going to send my 365XL back for FTFeed Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The 357 Sig and 40 caliber magazines are similar for the P239 but NOT the same. Would 357 Sig run in a 40 caliber magazine - probably but I wouldn't trust that for a carry gun. I polished the feed ramp on the 357 Sig barrel and I think that might be the magic, I'll test it this afternoon.

John
P238 Equinox, P239, P226, P365XL

Posts: 22 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: August 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I agree that "shooting in" a new gun should
smooth the action, it SHOULD NOT BE NECESSARY for a
new gun to function reliably!The general public
is not as knowledgeable or fastidious as members of this board. They might shoot 50 rds for familiarity
and then stick it in a drawer. What if your friendly car dealer, after you getting stranded, told you, you would have to put 10k miles on your car to be reliable?

Sig and their fans have been down this road too
may times, especially with new guns, to be an
fluke! QC or less time devoted to CNC machining
to lower production times per unit could well
be the culprit. While i don't wish any harm to
come to anyone, think Sig is facing some major
lawsuits lurking out there, when purchasers
are injured or killed.and their lawyers see
the issues documented on this board!

www.OrdnanceOutsellers.com
jerry@OrdnanceOutsellers.com

770-977-0662

Posts: 5227 | Location: Marietta, Ga. | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Piston engines do come with a break-in period actually.

Even replacement of a piston or other internal work should be followed by a break-in procedure.

A lot of firearms get better and smoother with use as the parts wear together. I've had many new tools which become more functional and smoother with use. Even baseball gloves have long-recognized break-in times. It's not really unwarranted or unusual for a firearm to have a recommended break-in period. The manufacturer could do it...and pass that cost to the consumer.

Those who buy a pistol, put a box of ammunition through it, then carry it as if it's been vetted, are unwise. Aside from having learned nothing about the pistol, they've done nothing for proficiency, which makes them a risk and a hazard to everyone else when they use that pistol. Hardly the gold standard, they're a very poor standard, and it's unreasonable to suggest that a mechanical object, often subject to break-in, must be tailored to the worst standard of user.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
guppy, I change the oil in every new car after the
first thousand miles and replace with full synthetic; but manufacturers never say to do this in their owners manual! Your new car doesn't need
to be broken in to function, does it? As I said in post, I was NOT referring to owners like those on
this board. Just because shooter put it in drawer, doesn't mean he is not a proficient or accomplished
shooter with other guns! Maybe just needs familiarity with manual of arms for a new gun?
$150 approximate additional cost for 500 rds of
practice ammo? If I remember correctly, the earliest posts regarding 365 failures happened
somewhere around 750 rd count? So, what is enough? Have not experienced any issues with
Glocks, S&W; or even Colt of recent manufacture!

770-977-0662

Posts: 5227 | Location: Marietta, Ga. | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The break-in process for automotive engines is generally not left to the consumer, and most are completely unaware of anything regarding their auto function except what's on the idiot light on the dash.

Those with some maintenance knowledge know differently.

What you do with your car, however, is entirely irrelevant to the mechanical function of your pistol. A car, as you may note, is not a pistol.

You may be right. A box of ammunition is all it takes. With that, the user is a super hero. No need to actually get proficient with that weapon. Wait for the balloon to go up, the home invasion to start of the theater shooter to let loose, then blast away. What could go wrong?

Those who buy a weapon, drop a box of ammunition through it and pronounce it blessed and clean and ready to rock are...fucking idiots. Even if they can shoot something else. That they may be in the majority means nothing, any more than the frequency of an oil change in a car.

There is a millennial mentality today that because the majority choose to do something, that's ratification and evidence that the something is right. This equates to "likes," in which legitimacy is granted when enough people "like" something. It's idiotic, but it's become a way of thinking about far more than tweets or facebook cute posts.

Perhaps the grand masters of the world can pick up any pistol and wring it out to 500 yards and split the wings on a gnat, without having shot more than a box through the gun. It would be dangerous to make that assumption of all. Even few.

365 failures have occurred right out of the box and all the way to several thousand rounds, with "dead triggers" and broken strikers.

I've had failures in two hundred fifty million dollar aircraft right out of the gate, too, with a hell of a lot more engineering and effort behind putting it out the door. It happens. My P365's thus far have been trouble free. That does not guarantee that they will be trouble free with the next round fired. I have thousands of rounds through them, but the next might fail. Likewise, the failure of any other P365 does not mean that mine will break.

Whether someone changes the oil on their car has absolutely zero impact on the functionality of my P365(s).

posted Hide Post
That 250 million dollar aircraft must be something?
Believe a F22 Raptor is under $100 million.

Maybe I'm giving you too much credit for your
intelligence, as I'm assuming you understood that I was not stating that changing initial oil in new car had anything to do with operation or failure
in 365. Oil change was done to get minute metal particles out of circulating oil after 1000 mi.

The early 365 failures were happening at a
some what elevated round count, rather than 500
or less.but realize anything mechanical can fail
at ANY time: but any meaningful pattern of failure is meaningful, whether it be in mechanical devices or people!

I did say "accomplished and proficient shooter"
who's undoubtedly spent likely thousands of
hours and thousands of rounds over many years to
develop his skills! The principles of marksman-
are significantly transferable from one firearm
to another----- if one becomes familiar with
operating system.

While anything can happen at any time, it is a
reasonable expectation that a new quality car
or firearm won't fail and get you killed and I won''t trust my life to either that has any
significant history of failure: but you certainly may!

770-977-0662

posted Hide Post
quote:
I want to know why the 239 won't feed with 357 Sig? If it feeds 40 out of the 40 mag, it should damn well feed 357 out of the same mag even better.

The P239 is the only model Sig had separately designed mags for the 357 Sig & 40 S&W. Maybe they know why!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:.....Those who buy a pistol, put a box of ammunition through it, then carry it as if it's been vetted, are unwise. Aside from having learned nothing about the pistol, they've done nothing for proficiency, which makes them a risk and a hazard to everyone else when they use that pistol. Hardly the gold standard, they're a very poor standard, and it's unreasonable to suggest that a mechanical object, often subject to break-in, must be tailored to the worst standard of user.
One thing I've learned from all of my years on this earth is there's a bunch of stupid people roaming around. Or let me rephrase that - there's a lot of people with almost zero common sense out there. I have a very intelligent relative (PhD type) and this guy barely knows which end of a screwdriver to hold. Then there's my physician nephew that was going to clean his BBQ grill by spraying cleaner on the grate in place, wipe it off and then start the fire. I suggested that he remove the grate, clean it, rinse it off and return to the grill.

Back to guns. Thanks to the gun forums I visited when shopping for my first handgun I learned that every handgun should be cycled 200-500 times before carry. My first handgun was a Ruger SR40, I don't remember this particular gun to ever have a FTFeed, FTFire, eject, etc. I was carrying an M&P9c for quite a while - I don't remember ever having one single issue with that one (that's a very fine gun BTW.)

In my quest for a lighter single stack carry gun I bought a Ruger LC9s a few years ago. I think on the third or fourth magazine I was shooting it for a break-in and the magazine fell out. I thought that must have been my fault but it happened several more times so I sent the gun back to Ruger and they replaced the frame. Wow.

If you want ultimate reliability, carry a wheel gun or a semi-auto *and* a back-up gun.

Edit - fixed a couple of typos

This message has been edited. Last edited by: johncanfield,

John
P238 Equinox, P239, P226, P365XL

Posts: 22 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: August 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you want ultimate reliability, carry a wheel gun

My Smith Model 66 's cylinder rod would back out & lock up the cylinder. This was in the 1970's & I do not think Lock-Tite existed yet.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johncanfield:
One thing I've learned from all of my years on this earth is there's a bunch of stupid people roaming around. Or let me rephrase that - there's a lot of people with almost zero common sense out there. I have a very intelligent relative (Phd type) and this guy barely knows which end of a screwdriver to hold. Then there's my physician nephew that was going to clean his BBQ grill by spraying cleaner on the grate in place, wipe it off and then start the fire. I suggested that he remove the grate, clean it, rinse it off and return to the grill.

I had a brilliant physics instructor whose greatest frustration in life was the inability to open the little plastic bags in the produce section of the grocery store. He could do complex problems in astrophysics, but couldn't put an avocado in the bag.

It happens.