SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    NOT - Going to send my 365XL back for FTFeed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NOT - Going to send my 365XL back for FTFeed Login/Join 
posted
This is a copy of a thread I have on the Texas CHL forum about my brand new P365XL.

Started having fail to feed problems after about 150 rounds of various factory ammo. To my amazement, Remington UMC target 115 grain ammo would not load - period. No way Jose. PMC 115 grain full metal jacket worked great, I also ran Geco 124 grain FMC with no problems. Winchester Law Enforcement 147 grain hollow points were feeding fine then I had one get stuck to where I couldn't extract it or drop the magazine. I finally locked the slide back and pushed the casing to the rear, then I could clear the round. I think one of the magazines has a weak spring - the tension when loading (with a speed loader) was noticeably less than the other.

As far as shooting, I like the trigger overall (not a crisp break but good enough) but I'm not sold on a straight vs. curved trigger finger pull. My finger kept sliding to the bottom and rubbing on the trigger guard. Maybe Sig can change it for the traditional curved pull. I was hitting the target consistently to the left but I thought that was me and not the gun, I did manage to get that solved by concentrating on my stance and trigger pull.

I'll call Sig tomorrow and get a return tag. I'm not particularly upset, it's just one of those things. One advantage of sending it back is the gun will get a good examination and tweaking over and above factory assembly and testing.

So when I send the 365XL back I'll carry the P239 but setup for .40 caliber. (My P239 in .357 Sig was also having serious fail to feed issues but when I changed it back to 40 caliber it ran perfect.)

I really, really, really like the form factor of the 365XL - I think Sig got that perfect, for me at least. It is well behaved for a carry gun but not a gun I would want to plink with all day long (however I put 200+ rounds through it a while ago and my hand doesn't hurt.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: johncanfield,

John
P238 Equinox, P239, P226, P365XL

Posts: 22 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: August 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
That has me holding off for now. A few FTRTB issues are starting g to pop up. One is a holster maker, not a YouTube hero. I want them to work. I have a G48 but was drawn to the XL. The standard 365 was sketchy to me but with a longer slide and barrel, the XL mechanically should have at least the architecture to be more reliable.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The fact that you're getting the problems chiefly with one kind of ammunition indicates that you may want to fire a few hundred rounds with a different ammo first. You dind't say anything about the lubrication; are you running the pistol wet? A little lube goes a long way. I've seen jam-o-matics that transformed into perfectly reliable with a little lubrication.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was excited to find out about the 365 XL as I really like the concept and the features but unfortunately I knew that there was going to be issues, this confirm my thoughts. For that very reason I purchased a G48 and it has been 100% reliable and won't even consider the 365 as is not worth the risk in my opinion.

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You knew there would be issues? How? One person reports a problem here that could be anything, lube, ammo, who knows, and it becomes confirmation of the bias?

A lot of users here have P365's. Most have no problems with them.

Everyone is entitled to buy or own what they want. It made me laugh to hear a solitary report of a potential problem followed up by "I knew it! Confirmation!"

But, of what?

I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Remington 115s is about the last ammo I would try while breaking in a gun. Especially a short barreled one.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear.

Mine has been perfect so far. 3 range sessions with 625rds fired. Zero issues.

50rds 115gr Fiocchi JHP
50rds 147gr Fiocchi JHP
50rds 124gr Federal HST
50rds 147gr Remington Golden Saber LEO
50rds Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ
50rds Aguila 115gr FMJ
50rds Remington 115gr JHP
50rds Federal 147gr Hydrashok
100rds Rem/UMC 115gr FMJ
50rds Fiocchi 115gr FMJ
50rds Federal RTP 115gr FMJ
25rds Speer Gold Dot 115gr HP

The Remington/UMC 115gr FMJ actually shot very well for me.

The Blazer brass on the other hand functioned fine but put up terrible groups.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
You knew there would be issues? How? One person reports a problem here that could be anything, lube, ammo, who knows, and it becomes confirmation of the bias?

A lot of users here have P365's. Most have no problems with them.

Everyone is entitled to buy or own what they want. It made me laugh to hear a solitary report of a potential problem followed up by "I knew it! Confirmation!"

But, of what?

Confirmation of Sig's bad quality control and history of not getting things right to begin with, I recently purchased an 320 X5 and out of the box the finish towards the front of my slide just flake off. That is horrible quality control and its unacceptable so I was very disappointed, I have several Sig's and this is not the first time I experienced issues. If you choose to ignore that Sig has quality issues that is your prerogative, I'm not fanboy of any particular brand and through many thousands of rounds I learned that some tools can be trusted more than others and that is my opinion period.

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I bought my 365XL on the 18th. The dealer gave me 2 X 50 round boxes of Sig 147 fmj ammo with it which I thought was very cool. I got home and added some lube and out to the range I went. It came with the standard 2 X 12 round mags and I had bought 3 of the 15’s and changed the base pad to the one that works with the XL. The first 50 rounds of the 147 Sig ammo shot great and was very clean. I followed that up with 50 rounds of 115 gr Blazer brass fmj and 50 rounds of MAXX ammo (Russian stuff brass case) Not a single issue or concern from the gun or mags. I then dug through my loose ammo and did a mix and match of hollow points and fmj from several manufacturers. The gun fired all of it just fine without a bobble. Point of aim changed with bullet weight, but that was to be expected. As of this point its up to 200 rounds and functioning fine.
I went out with it over the weekend and shot another 150 rounds of 115 Blazer and had very good results with grouping and ringing the gongs at ranges from 7 to 100 yards. This 365XL has been very comfortable to shoot and IWB carry with an open-end holster that my 365 would ride in. I really want to find a decent leather OWB holster (closed end) for when I’m out and about on my property.
The size and weight and capacity of the 365XL has me hooked. I will probably take it out on the range today or as soon as possible this week to really get a feel for it and just enjoy shooting.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
The fact that you're getting the problems chiefly with one kind of ammunition indicates that you may want to fire a few hundred rounds with a different ammo first. You dind't say anything about the lubrication; are you running the pistol wet? A little lube goes a long way. I've seen jam-o-matics that transformed into perfectly reliable with a little lubrication.
I shot 24 rounds (two magazines) right out of the box then I field stripped it, cleaned it and lightly oiled it. I don't like to have my carry gun too wet since it's a holster queen and on my hip for 16 hours a day gathering ambient dust and dirt. If I have to lay on my side to work, then I'll remove it otherwise my carry gun is a semi-permanent appendage.

I'm looking at the list of ammo I successfully ran through it - Range Master (St. George, UT) reloads ran fine as did PMC, Geco and Win Law Enforcement hollow points (147 grain) until it started to fail to feed.

I'm almost certain that one mag has some issues with the spring, I'll call Sig today and let y'all know what they say.

About quality control - my P226 Tac Ops is a beautifully crafted gun and has worked flawlessly. The wife's P238 had an initial minor ejector issue (once in a while I would get a casing in my face) but it's a fine gun and runs like a Swiss watch. My P239 is a wonderful gun (has a magazine issue now with 357 Sig, runs great with .40 caliber.)

Then the ugly - three or four years ago I bought a new Ruger LC9s for an EDC gun and the magazine would occasionally fall out - wow and wow. Sent it back to Ruger and they fixed it (new frame as I recall) but I never trusted that LC9s again for a carry gun.

John

Posts: 22 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: August 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems the problems are encountered with the UMC ammunition.

posted Hide Post
Talked to Sig today and basically he said shoot 500 rounds of good quality ball ammo through it to polish the feed ramp - "it's not broken in". Or I could send it in. Well, okay then.

I think I'll shoot it, maybe try to polish the ramp manually.

John

posted Hide Post
I don't buy that at all.

Some firearms do better when they've been shot, parts have worn together; that part is true. I certainly wouldn't discount it until I'd put a little ammunition through it.

Shooting to polish the feed ramp? As opposed to using a dremel? That's an expensive way to polish a feed ramp, running 500 rounds through the pistol.

I'd run five hundred through it just to play with it a bit, but I'd use something other than that UMC for now.

posted Hide Post
Got mine today and shot over 300 rounds of white box FMJ and 50 HST with no malfunctions so far.

Posts: 191 | Location: TX,USA | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, an expensive way to polish the feed ramp! Maybe I should try first with the Dremel tool.

John

Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johncanfield:
Yes, an expensive way to polish the feed ramp! Maybe I should try first with the Dremel tool.

You're going to shoot it anyway, right? I dislike the term "break in" it should be more of a smooth in/ settle in. I've owned and shot many Les Baers and other 1911's.
Everyone of them I shot at least 500 - 1000 rounds through, really its to get to know the gun IMO.
With my 365XL I just added more lube and went and shot it till it was too hot to touch let it cool while I reload the mags and do it again.

Get out and shoot, get to know the pistol Smile .

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nframe:
quote:
Originally posted by johncanfield:

You're going to shoot it anyway, right? I dislike the term "break in" it should be more of a smooth in/ settle in. I've owned and shot many Les Baers and other 1911's.
Everyone of them I shot at least 500 - 1000 rounds through, really its to get to know the gun IMO.
With my 365XL I just added more lube and went and shot it till it was too hot to touch let it cool while I reload the mags and do it again.

Get out and shoot, get to know the pistol Smile .
Yessir, that's the plan now - and it's a short walk to the shooting range (we live on a ranch)! Shooting a light frame handgun is more of a challenge for my old hands now but I'll get 'er done.

John

posted Hide Post
Blue skies smiling at me, nothing but blue skies can I see ....

I polished the feed ramp with a very, very fine stone on my Dremel (actually a Proxxon) and that was the magic. The Remington UMC that wouldn't feed period, now feeds and shoots fine. The problem with the Remingtons was the bullet was a little shorter than the PMCs so it was stopping on the ramp.

So far today I shot about 100 rounds through the gun with no issues (except one of my dogs doesn't like the noise.)

John

Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
Excellent to hear! (except the dog, mine are like that too)

Smile

posted Hide Post
I want to know why the 239 won't feed with 357 Sig? If it feeds 40 out of the 40 mag, it should damn well feed 357 out of the same mag even better.

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post