SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    When do you change recoil springs n a stock 9mm p229
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When do you change recoil springs n a stock 9mm p229 Login/Join 
posted
How often do you need to replace it and where can i buy the oem looking stranded wire spring? Wolf just sells regular spring..do i have to go one step heavier? Thanks!

Posts: 254 | Location: Manila, philippines | Registered: January 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
SIG spring/parts replacement schedule thread

I usually buy mine directly from Sig.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Posts: 254 | Location: Manila, philippines | Registered: January 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If it were necessary to use a heavier recoil spring than the factory spring then the factory spring would be heavier. I exercise an excess of caution by replacing the spring every 2500 rounds.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sigfreund I find your posts incredible useful and thoughtful and I want to thank you in general. But in this case I think you are being excessively cautious. Yes the part is cheap. But Sig itself says 5K and my personal experience running many Pseries to ultimate failure is that this part simply does not fail in anything like that time or many times that using SAMMI ammo. I think 5k is conservative. It would be nice if SIG posted minimum spring lengths to have it be a service as measured part but they don't.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of deadmanmike
posted Hide Post
I usually change them out every 3-5000 rounds. I currently have my P226 nearing 6K.. I want to run it until I get a failure induced by the recoil spring. I'll make sure to report back.

=============
Certified Sig P-Series Armorer
Certified AR-15/M16/M4 Armorer
Certified 1911 Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified Sig P320 Armorer
Certified Glock Advanced Armorer
Certified MPX Armorer
Certified MCX Armorer

Posts: 1587 | Registered: June 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I too am a early spring changer. Here's a pic of a p226 spring with about 2000 rounds on it compared to a new one. I put a spring kit in between 2500 and 3500 rounds, which is 4-5 years these days since I've been shooting my Glocks more often.

Also, I stick with Sig braided springs vs the aftermarket offerings. I think the braided springs are more durable.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
I'm in the 3-5K camp or annually since it's a cheap part and I change my mainspring too. I run a 19lb mainspring so I change it annually.

Training as often as possible!
NSSF Media Member

Posts: 1577 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: May 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Basically, I'm in the intuitive RS change camp. I know the usage of my pistols, handle them frequently, dry-fire frequently and know what the slide should feel like when racking for a particular caliber. I also clean/inspect/lube after each range session.

I don't wait until the bitter end. If I have any doubts I just replace it.

I've never had a single issue related to RS expiration on any pistol in a 50 year period. Most of my shooting is with mid-range reloads. If I was constantly shooting factory 10 mm, I might consider using a different method. Different strokes for different folks...

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I'm uber conservative when it come to recoil springs and shave 20% under the mfg recommended interval.

Posts: 13809 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Dang this post reminds me that I'm past due for a new recoil spring in my 228.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Sigfreund I find your posts incredible useful and thoughtful and I want to thank you in general. But in this case I think you are being excessively cautious. Yes the part is cheap. But Sig itself says 5K and my personal experience running many Pseries to ultimate failure is that this part simply does not fail in anything like that time or many times that using SAMMI ammo. I think 5k is conservative. It would be nice if SIG posted minimum spring lengths to have it be a service as measured part but they don't.

sigfreund:
"I exercise an excess of caution by replacing..."

I think you both used the same words. Not trying to be rude, but not sure I understand your point hrc.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost, but making
good time
posted Hide Post
I change my recoil springs at 2500 to 3000 rounds. I look at it the same way as I look at oil changes. It's the best and cheapest maintenance you can do for your gun and car.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Posts: 10454 | Location: St Augustine | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just my 2¢ worth, but wouldn't changing them early be the same as doing an oil change on your vehicle 50% sooner than needed? In other words, spending money where it isn't necessary.

If one shoots at a range regularly and experiences a problem, then change them - otherwise, Sig Sauer has done exhaustive and extensive testing and has already "built-in" an ample safety margin on their recommendation based on product liability issues.

Posts: 62 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Replaced the recoil spring on my P250C recently.
Not sure how many rounds were on the original spring, but probably more than 5,000.
Here's the old one versus the new one . . .

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Put me in the early changer category. Here's the thing. Springs are readily available and dirt cheap. Why wouldn't you want to change them early?

Yeah, a factory does research. But, you are ASSuming that the springs from the batch you just bought are from a reputable manufacturer as the factory subcontracts out their springs. Often, the stuff comes from off shore, and we have seen how poor QC some of the companies have.

Yeah, I'll change mine early, thanks.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:

The recoil spring is what keeps the slide from battering everything as it comes back. Changing the $5 spring early or prematurely is cheap insurance compared to more wear and tear. You can also see how far the gun usually sends empty cases with a new spring and then keep note of it.....but I change all of my springs around 3k rounds or so.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texagun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perrinyanna:
How often do you need to replace it and where can i buy the oem looking stranded wire spring? Wolf just sells regular spring..do i have to go one step heavier? Thanks!

I was told by a member on another forum that Wolff Gun Springs for a Sig are now mult-strand springs as opposed to the single-strand springs they used to sell. Did he lie to me?

Posts: 333 | Location: North Texas | Registered: March 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just changed the recoil spring in my 2006 P229R in 9mm...I'm the second owner and I'm not too sure it's ever been changed. It was a good 3/4" to 1" shorter than the new one...yikes.

Thanks to the OP on this thread...caused me to do something I obviously should have been done sooner.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post