SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shield 9mm started having double feed/FTE... ideas?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shield 9mm started having double feed/FTE... ideas? Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
Pistol has about 400 rounds through it and has been 100% reliable. My sister is considering carrying it while running and has been training with the pistol. Last week she had one type 3 malfunction shooting 124 xtreme plated reloads which have been 100% in the shield and multiple other 9mms so far, and today she had another one with remington 115 JHP. I shot a few magazines through it of three different types of ammo and I couldn't make it double feed. I tried weak hand only, limp wristing, etc. and it ran fine. I then cleaned it and lubed it and checked extractor claw, extractor tension, chamber and ejector and all look as new. I shot 2 more mags of the flat-nose JHP after cleaning and it didn't double feed but severe limp wristing with weak hand did induce a nosedive failure on the first round from the 8-round mag, which I don't blame on the gun. I also had some erratic ejection, with one case actually going left, which I thought was a bit weird.

She's a strong woman and very fit (runs at least 2 hours a day) and has good sized, strong hands, and I've watched her grip and stance carefully, so I doubt it's a limp-wristing issue. What else can I check? If it does it again and we'll probably give up on that particular gun and maybe get her a Glock 43 or another shield I guess.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Is a “type 3” malfunction anything like a type 35Aq malfunction?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
In a failure to extract, the case of the round you just fired stays in the chamber and a live round (the top round in the magazine) butts up against it. You have to rip the magazine out because the feed lips are holding the top round. If this is happening, there is an extractor problem. It could be broken. I had a gun do this and when I locked the slide back it was obvious that the claw had broken off. Or there might be a bunch of crud built up under or behind it.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Not broken, clean, looks new, moving under significant spring tension. I don't get it. I've had extractor issues on a couple other pistols before but this one is baffling me... I can see no evidence of damage, wear, or weak spring, etc.

Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
She's a strong woman and very fit (runs at least 2 hours a day) and has good sized, strong hands,

Is it possible her hands/fingers/thumbs are in some way dragging on the slide when firing thus slowing it down and short stroking?

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tango Sierra
posted Hide Post
I've never had a malfunction with one of my 1911s (other than worn out magazines) but other shooters that have tried my 1911s and have had malfunctions.

If it's only happening to her and not you, it's probably an Indian issue, not an arrow issue. If she is limp wristing and can't cure that, then have her switch to a revolver for CCW.

My PC Shield 9 has been flawless for over 2000 rounds including appox 150 HST 124 +P hollow points but I'm the only one who has used it.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Rural North Central Illinois | Registered: November 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
There are good autoloading pistols that are virtually immune to “limp wristing” or weak grip-caused malfunctions. Two that I’ve personally experimented and demonstrated that fact with are the 9mm P229 and the P320 chambered for 40 S&W. If a gun doesn’t function properly because a woman or someone who doesn’t have a gorilla grip is shooting it, then its poor design is at fault.

And when pistols do malfunction because they’re not held rigidly enough, what almost always happens are failures to eject, not failures to extract and a resulting failure to chamber a live round as described above.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 22X:
quote:
She's a strong woman and very fit (runs at least 2 hours a day) and has good sized, strong hands,

Is it possible her hands/fingers/thumbs are in some way dragging on the slide when firing thus slowing it down and short stroking?
that may be it! I have had to remind her a couple of times to keep her thumbs away from the slide. Thanks for the idea.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
Not broken, clean, looks new, moving under significant spring tension. I don't get it. I've had extractor issues on a couple other pistols before but this one is baffling me... I can see no evidence of damage, wear, or weak spring, etc.

If the extractor is good and she is not letting her thumb drag on the slide, then the only common denominator (I believe) is her grip.

She appears to be a new shooter.. I know it does not seem like it is her grip but if it is just happening with her then.....

I would have another seasoned shooter shoot a few down range then let her shoot a few more and see what happens. Process of elimination.

USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) Bremerton WA.
Sig P938/238 Equinox
Sig P320C RX
Colt Mustang XSP FE

Posts: 50 | Location: Southeast NH | Registered: March 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
good idea. Weird thing is we've been shooting it regularly for a few months and she has had zero issues with it until just recently.