SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    W. German P220 and a question (pic heavy)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

W. German P220 and a question (pic heavy) Login/Join 
posted
After purchasing a first Sig from a friend (and a forum member) a little over 2 weeks ago, I find myself with a second P220 - this one is an incredibly clean W. German from '94, I don't think it been fired more than a handful of times in the last 24 years.
I had popped into a local shop in search of holster for my FNX when it caught my eye and the FNX was soon traded for this beaut. It was an absolute impulse move but I think I did really well.

So, my question is in regards to the cleaning kit. I was told by the shop owner that this is one of the W. German kits, with the wooden cleaning rod and that these kits were usually removed/replaced upon importation to the U.S. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

You get about what you pay for in this world, be it guns, autos, whiskey or clothes. Start with the best gun you can afford.
- Elmer Keith

Posts: 49 | Location: VT | Registered: March 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I never heard of such a claim in my years here. I have never seen any such cleaning kit posted. Sounds like gun store BS to me.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Not sure about the cleaning kit.

Congratulations on what I consider the finest vintage for P-220's. I hope yours treats you as well as mine has treated me.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I'm with Gary on this one. I've seen such kits, but the story is BS.

Q

Posts: 26344 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pistol! I've had 2 or 3 of those kits. Gunbroker purchases however. It would be useful in your range bag.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by donklekins:
... an absolute impulse move but I think I did really well.

Heck yeah! Thats a sweet looking P220 you have there.

Welcome to the forum.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
That 220 is gorgeous and in excellent condition. You did really well! As far as the cleaning kit, I've never seen them come with a gun; as the others have said, I think the gun store was feeding you a line of crap.

Congratulations on a great pick up and welcome to the forum.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Now that I see the kit, I have to believe they exist. Could it be that SIG US was usually removing them so there would be room for the mandatory gun lock? Since this is a previously owned gun, the cleaning kit may have been acquired separately. Interesting.

OP, did you get a test target with the gun?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Now that I see the kit, I have to believe they exist. Could it be that SIG US was usually removing them so there would be room for the mandatory gun lock? Since this is a previously owned gun, the cleaning kit may have been acquired separately. Interesting.

OP, did you get a test target with the gun?

Unfortunately there was no test target.

You get about what you pay for in this world, be it guns, autos, whiskey or clothes. Start with the best gun you can afford.
- Elmer Keith

Posts: 49 | Location: VT | Registered: March 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TikritTourist
posted Hide Post
Heck with the cleaning kit, that is one nice P220!
Let us know how it shoots!

Tomorrow’s battle is won during today’s practice.
- Samurai maxim

Posts: 753 | Location: Northeast US | Registered: August 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
The SIG cleaning kit in question pre-dates your KE coded P220 by a number of years. As I recall, this kit was sold as an early accessory. I've examined a number of P220's over the years - to my knowledge none were delivered with a factory supplied cleaning kit. Prior to mid-1994 P220's were shipped in a foam lined cardboard box which lacked a compartment to house such a kit. Further, if SIG began supplying a cleaning kit in 1994, it is unlikely it would have been the kit pictured but rather a simple wire bore brush and/or a plastic rod. I suspect the dealer is mistaken, repeating gun shop lore or pulling your leg.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
The SIG cleaning kit in question pre-dates your KE coded P220 by a number of years. As I recall, this kit was sold as an early accessory.

Thanks for the info. When do you date the cleaning kit in question?

- Elmer Keith

Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by donklekins:

Thanks for the info. When do you date the cleaning kit in question?

From memory, I'm guessing mid-1980's.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Outstanding buy! The cleaning kit is a new one on me.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
SIGARMS sold those cleaning kits as an accessory in the mid to late 1980s to early 1990's.

They were made either in Switzerland or Italy and SIGARMS charged $14.95 for them back in the day.

The pistol case you have is US made and was also sold as an accessory by SIGARMS in the 1990's. I think for a short period SIG might have offered the case free with a pistol purchase as an incentive.

There was a deluxe shooter's kit sold in Europe that had the pistol, cleaning kit, Peltor ear muffs, sight adjusting tool, can of Ballistol and a .22 caliber conversion kit in a lockable briefcase type carrying case.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CAR, Thanks for the great info. Now that I know it was an optional accessory, I wonder if the cleaning kit would be something a collector would want? It is unlikely that I will ever use it.

- Elmer Keith

posted Hide Post
Very nice purchase! I have a W. German 220 and a 226, and neither came with a cleaning kit. I have seen those for sale, but I can't remember where at the moment.

Posts: 1751 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAR:
The pistol case you have is US made and was also sold as an accessory by SIGARMS in the 1990's. I think for a short period SIG might have offered the case free with a pistol purchase as an incentive.

I have no ideas what you're talking about. The case in the OP is the the gray plastic case that the SIG pistols came in from the factory (SIG Germany) around the mid-90s.

Q

Posts: 26344 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
You probably were talking about this case here, which is different from the one above. I happened to have one that I'm using to store PROTO-1.
Some early 90s P229s were actually shipped to the market from SIG inside this case. I've seen them, complete even with with the soft outer cardboard sleeve.

Q

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:Further, if SIG began supplying a cleaning kit in 1994, it is unlikely it would have been the kit pictured but rather a simple wire bore brush and/or a plastic rod. .

Interesting, as my '94 P229 has a kit in a different style fabric bag. Looks like the case was possibly made to accommodate it, as it is in the same case as the OP.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post